Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If things go Pete Tong.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit worried about missing the grades I need for Uni. So I need a back up plane if things go wrong. I don't want to go to a Uni outside the top 30 but If I don't get the grades I need (AAB) to get onto the Law course at Sheffield, (say I get ABB) there will be no chance of me getting onto another Law course through clearing at a top 30 Uni since it is so ridiculously competitive.

So.. I was thinking that I could apply to do another subject closley related such as English or Politics and then do a one-year transfer to Law at the end at Sheffield (as they want lower grades for those subjects) or another good Uni.

Thing is all my experience and my personal statement is based on Law and so if I do apply to another course do they see my personal statement for Law? and if they do, would it matter a lot that I hadn't originally gone for that course? Are English and Politics just as competitive as Law or could I find a decent place with ABB grades?

Or if I don't get in do you think I should just take a gap year and try my luck next year?

Sorry about the long post,
    Any suggestions would be great!!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, Pete Tong, wrong - I like it.

(Now I can move on and read the rest of your post)

ReputationRep:
    lol..thanks, my way of drawing people into my boring thread..

...but seriously since your going to be a potential Law student too I like to know what you would do if you found yourself in a similar position.. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't bother with Uni... I'd train to be a Personal Trainer and spend all the money i've saved, on the course and new car.

ReputationRep:
    I think English is also ridiculously competitive, but Politics is slightly less so. I have a list of places that had Politics places in clearing last year, if you're interested? There was actually a few good ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I think English is also ridiculously competitive, but Politics is slightly less so. I have a list of places that had Politics places in clearing last year, if you're interested? There was actually a few good ones!
    Ah.. I suspected it would be. Still I would prefer English over Politics since after Law, that's my main interest and I got full marks on most of my units last year so if I do the same this year they might look more favourably on the fact that I'll be a law reject.

It would be great if you could send me the list of places for Politics

Thanks!!

The average entry grades for LAw at Sheffield are not actually placed at AAB. An average of 26.8 suggests that you would stand a reasonable chance of getting in even if you did slip to ABB.

UEA
    Leicester
    Lancaster
    Keele
    Southampton
    Kent

I know these have all offered Law through clearing in the past (off the top of my head) and you know that course places are entirely dependent on others results so you should not be so pesemistic about the possibilities through clearing!!!

I would suggest that course transfers onto Law are quite rare and that you would need to do VERY well in modules that I'm not even certain they would allow you to take to even be considered. I'm not that knowledgable on that though so you should look into that one a bit more.

If you fail to secure a place for Law then you must decide how important doing it is to you. If you feel that it is what you want to do (irrespective of eveything else) then you could definitely consider a gap year and I'm sure you would secure a great place next year. Don't be too down beat though.......I certain you'll get AAA in August!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Ah.. I suspected it would be. Still I would prefer English over Politics since after Law, that's my main interest and I got full marks on most of my units last year so if I do the same this year they might look more favourably on the fact that I'll be a law reject.

It would be great if you could send me the list of places for Politics

Thanks!!
    I think Sheffield's usual offer for English is actually ABB, so maybe if you miss the grades, you could just try begging them for a place on that?

Politics places (not all of them, I missed out most of the ex-polys etc)

Aston
    Bath
    Birmingham
    East Anglia
    Essex
    Lancaster
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Loughborough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    The average entry grades for LAw at Sheffield are not actually placed at AAB. An average of 26.8 suggests that you would stand a reasonable chance of getting in even if you did slip to ABB.

UEA
    Leicester
    Lancaster
    Keele
    Southampton
    Kent

I know these have all offered Law through clearing in the past (off the top of my head) and you know that course places are entirely dependent on others results so you should not be so pesemistic about the possibilities through clearing!!!

I would suggest that course transfers onto Law are quite rare and that you would need to do VERY well in modules that I'm not even certain they would allow you to take to even be considered. I'm not that knowledgable on that though so you should look into that one a bit more.

If you fail to secure a place for Law then you must decide how important doing it is to you. If you feel that it is what you want to do (irrespective of eveything else) then you could definitely consider a gap year and I'm sure you would secure a great place next year. Don't be too down beat though.......I certain you'll get AAA in August!!!
    Aww, thanks Leekey! Wish I could share your optimism . Are you sure those places weren't for a joint law course? say with crimonology or something?

Sorry I don't think I explained it well in my first post. I didn't mean transfer onto Law after the first year, I meant do the full three years of that subject (whether it be English or Politics) and then do the one year intensive course for Law with the seven core modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I'm a bit worried about missing the grades I need for Uni. So I need a back up plane if things go wrong.
    How about a Boeing 737? I hear they are very comfortable

(Original post by Leekey)

UEA
    Leicester
    Lancaster
    Keele
    Southampton
    Kent

I have a friend who went to UEA through clearing 2 years ago with ABB, and that's a well respected law course, so it's definetly possible.

ReputationRep:
    Also, some of the places that had english clearing places last year

Birmingham
    East Anglia
    Essex
    Keele
    Lancaster
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Loughbourgh
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I'm a bit worried about missing the grades I need for Uni. So I need a back up plane if things go wrong. I don't want to go to a Uni outside the top 30 but If I don't get the grades I need (AAB) to get onto the Law course at Sheffield, (say I get ABB) there will be no chance of me getting onto another Law course through clearing at a top 30 Uni since it is so ridiculously competitive.

So.. I was thinking that I could apply to do another subject closley related such as English or Politics and then do a one-year transfer to Law at the end at Sheffield (as they want lower grades for those subjects) or another good Uni.

Thing is all my experience and my personal statement is based on Law and so if I do apply to another course do they see my personal statement for Law? and if they do, would it matter a lot that I hadn't originally gone for that course? Are English and Politics just as competitive as Law or could I find a decent place with ABB grades?

Or if I don't get in do you think I should just take a gap year and try my luck next year?

Sorry about the long post,
    Any suggestions would be great!!
    You should be fine with grades of ABB for getting in - it'll just take a quick phonecall that'll probably last all of 2 minutes for you to find out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    I think Sheffield's usual offer for English is actually ABB, so maybe if you miss the grades, you could just try begging them for a place on that?

Politics places (not all of them, I missed out most of the ex-polys etc)

Aston
    Bath
    Birmingham
    East Anglia
    Essex
    Lancaster
    Leicester
    Liverpool
    Loughborough
    Thanks.. I think I'm going to have to recite my article on "Why exams are a complete of crap" to the admissions tutors followed by emotional/financial bribes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    You should be fine with grades of ABB for getting in - it'll just take a quick phonecall that'll probably last all of 2 minutes for you to find out.
    Hmm.. I'm not so sure since their pushing the boundary up to AAA next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    lol..thanks, my way of drawing people into my boring thread..

...but seriously since your going to be a potential Law student too I like to know what you would do if you found yourself in a similar position.. :cool:
    Ah, you are the fine young thing who wants to do EICL/Law at Sheffield, aren't you?

As you have rightfully intimated - the Clearing route would rarely* result in getting on a law course at top university, it just doesn't happen that often. As for other options, I would really love to do a Philosophy course of some description, were I to fall short of the required grades for law. Like yourself though (seemingly), I wouldn't be prepared to venture outside the top-30 institutions - so it would just be a case of finding what I can in clearing. There is no disadvantage in doing a non-Law course and then doing the CPE, should you want to, at a later date.

English would be difficult to get into through Clearing at a top university.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that I'm not really suited to Gap Years. Kicking around with little to do (which is undoubtedly what would happen to me, as I'm horrendous at organising things) would probably leave me bored, upset and unfulfilled. I honestly don't think that I would have the motivation to do a full-time job and travelling by myself doesn't really appeal to me.

This is just my personal opinion of unplanned gap years (as it relates to myself) though, and is probably wildly different to the reality for most people - I know several people who have missed their grades, done gap years or ended up on a different course and have not looked back since!

I would probably try my level best to get onto a course which interests me, as to be honest, my interests are quite varied - History, Politics, Philosophy, Urban Studies (at UCL), International Relations, Human Geography - all appeal to me. There are plenty of good places available in Clearing from what I've seen though.

I wish you the best of luck on results day, and although I can see that it's a good thing to be prepared and open-minded - things will probably pan out okay for you! And if they don't, there are plenty of other options - several of which can lead to a career in the law, if that is what you want.

*EDIT: Let me slip this in whilst nobody can see , and, in doing so, avoid having to purchase a flame retardant suit.

(Original post by Elle)
    Aww, thanks Leekey! Wish I could share your optimism . Are you sure those places weren't for a joint law course? say with crimonology or something?

Sorry I don't think I explained it well in my first post. I didn't mean transfer onto Law after the first year, I meant do the full three years of that subject (whether it be English or Politics) and then do the one year intensive course for Law with the seven core modules.
    Pretty sure they were all for straight Law (friend going through the same as you has researched this)!!!

Ahhh I get you now, you mean the CPE. It is a hard and intensive course but if you can get a good degree from a good institution then you should have no problems in getting onto the course. It is apparently just as good (IMO better) then a Law degree and it is open to you no matter what degree course you have chosen. I'm sure that a degree in English and Politics would stand you in great stead for getting a place on a CPE course (good degree class assumed)!!!

ReputationRep:
    Mobdeeprob- yes it's EICL Law.. I've decided I'm going to stick with it. One of posts helped convince me. And bad luck.. I read your post before your sly edit! lol
    Leekey- Thanks for all the advice.

..I have another question (sorry)

If I do go through clearing.. how do the Uni's judge you? Is it through your Personal Statement or merely through the grades you get on the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    Mobdeeprob- yes it's EICL Law.. I've decided I'm going to stick with it. One of posts helped convince me. And bad luck.. I read your post before your sly edit! lol
    Leekey- Thanks for all the advice.

..I have another question (sorry)

If I do go through clearing.. how do the Uni's judge you? Is it through your Personal Statement or merely through the grades you get on the day?
    I honestly do not know the answer to your question but because you are a potential lawyer and a nice person, I feel compelled to answer. Having looked at the UCAS website, it appears to me that for Clearing, the Clearing Entry Form (CEF) is the biggie as far as Clearing applications are concerned. It seems as though the CEF supersedes the Personal Statement and the other information contained on the UCAS form (for standard entry).

If you haven't already had a look at this then do so, not least because you can probably make more sense of this than me -
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/clearing/instr.html

I hope I've helped, but I'm doubtful as to whether I have...anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I honestly do not know the answer to your question but because you are a potential lawyer and a nice person, I feel compelled to answer. Having looked at the UCAS website, it appears to me that for Clearing, the Clearing Entry Form (CEF) is the biggie as far as Clearing applications are concerned. It seems as though the CEF supersedes the Personal Statement and the other information contained on the UCAS form (for standard entry).

If you haven't already had a look at this then do so, not least because you can probably make more sense of this than me -
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/clearing/instr.html

I hope I've helped, but I'm doubtful as to whether I have...anyway.

I think you can ring around and get informal offers before the CEF actually arrives in the post... I guess the best thing to do would be to ring up the admissions tutor for whatever course you want and presude them that you really, really want to do that course. That might be a problem for shy people like me.

ReputationRep:
    What about Liverpool for Law - I believe their offers to be either ABB or AAB and so you may stand a chance of getting in there. Im a little biased as Im hoping to go to Liverpool!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.