Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Biological Sciences 2017 Entry

State your specific course:
Predicted A2:
As:
IGCSE/GCSE:

I saw that there is a only a thread for 2016 entry, hopefully we can start this off

Scroll to see replies

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I'm a current final year Biology student at Imperial. So if you have any questions about applications, Imperial or the course then please feel free to ask me :h:

Good luck with your applications!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Firefly13
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but I'm a current final year Biology student at Imperial. So if you have any questions about applications, Imperial or the course then please feel free to ask me :h:

Hiii
i just have one question...
when did you get a response from imperial??
was it before january or after?

thanks
Reply 3

I got a rejection from imperial for the course I applied for but they have emailed me saying that they would consider my application for a different course. If I get into the
different course for now, would I be able to transfer after my first year?
Original post by ajowkin_23
Hiii
i just have one question...
when did you get a response from imperial??
was it before january or after?

thanks

I sent my application off in late October and I got my offer in late February. Don't worry if you haven't heard back yet, no news is good news!
Original post by m15es
I got a rejection from imperial for the course I applied for but they have emailed me saying that they would consider my application for a different course. If I get into the
different course for now, would I be able to transfer after my first year?

It depends on the course you were offered and the course you wanted to do. I've heard of people swapping between Biology and Biochemistry, but you have to do well in relevant modules in the first year. You couldn't, for example, transfer from Biology to Chemistry though (at least if you could you'd have to start from Year 1). The more similar to course the more likely it is you can swap.

So yes, it might be possible. If you don't want to do the other course they suggested then I'd email them and ask if you would be able to change if you did well in your first year.

Good luck!
Reply 6
I sent my application off in late October and I got my offer in late February. Don't worry if you haven't heard back yet, no news is good news!

Do you know anyone who did ecology and environmental biology??
and what their offer was??

thanks
Do you know anyone who did ecology and environmental biology??
and what their offer was??

thanks

Everyone I know doing any of the Biology options and A Levels had an AAA offer (not sure about IB but I could ask if that's what you're doing!).

The Ecology group does lots of the same modules as pure Biology so we all know each other fairly well :h:
Reply 8
Everyone I know doing any of the Biology options and A Levels had an AAA offer (not sure about IB but I could ask if that's what you're doing!).

The Ecology group does lots of the same modules as pure Biology so we all know each other fairly well :h:

Ive applied to ecology and environmental biology last week. Got an offer from exeter and southampton for marine biology but nothing else from my top choices.

Do you think getting into imperial for ecology is easier than applying for biological science?/
thanks
Ive applied to ecology and environmental biology last week. Got an offer from exeter and southampton for marine biology but nothing else from my top choices.

Do you think getting into imperial for ecology is easier than applying for biological science?/
thanks

I hope you hear from your other choices soon! Imperial is really slow at replying though so (unless you're very lucky) I wouldn't expect to hear back until after the Christmas holidays.

I think the acceptance rate is around the same for Ecology/Microbiology/Zoology as it is for Biology. Fewer people apply, but because you join the Biology class and the Microbiology and Zoology classes for a lot of your options they just see it as one class. They don't need more Ecologists to fill the course meaning they can still be picky about who they accept.

I hope that makes sense!
Reply 10
State your specific course: Biological sciences with Research Abroad
Predicted A2: AA*A*
As: AAA
IGCSE/GCSE: 5A *6A 1B

Got my offer yesterday, good luck to everyone else
Reply 11

Hi :smile: do you know what the destinations are for the year of research abroad?
Original post by Ambre
Hi :smile: do you know what the destinations are for the year of research abroad?

I'm not quite sure, sorry :s-smilie:

If you are doing the year abroad you have to take one of the Horizons language courses unless it's an English speaking country, so I assume you can go anywhere there's a language course for (which is most places!).

I think they can help you get placements in countries like France/Germany/Italy, but you can arrange it independently as well if there is somewhere you really want to go.

I can ask around for places people on my course have gone if you'd like? :smile:
Reply 13
I'm not quite sure, sorry :s-smilie:

If you are doing the year abroad you have to take one of the Horizons language courses unless it's an English speaking country, so I assume you can go anywhere there's a language course for (which is most places!).

I think they can help you get placements in countries like France/Germany/Italy, but you can arrange it independently as well if there is somewhere you really want to go.

I can ask around for places people on my course have gone if you'd like? :smile:

Yes please, that'd be really helpful :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Ambre

may i ask what subjects you do for A2?
Original post by Ambre

ahhh I applied for Bio sciences too! Hope to hear back soon if they're sending out offers now. Congrats! :h:
Reply 16
may i ask what subjects you do for A2?

Biology, chemistry, maths :smile:)
Reply 17
Original post by liziepie
ahhh I applied for Bio sciences too! Hope to hear back soon if they're sending out offers now. Congrats! :h:

Thanks!! :smile: where else have you applied?
Original post by Ambre
Thanks!! :smile: where else have you applied?

Cambride, York, Durham and Edinburgh, though I've only heard back from Durham so far :') What about you?
Reply 19
Original post by liziepie
Cambride, York, Durham and Edinburgh, though I've only heard back from Durham so far :':wink: What about you?

Ah, I've got offers from Warwick and Nottingham and I'm still waiting to hear back from Exeter and Edinburgh..I'm really not sure what to pick between Edinburgh and ICL actually. What's your first choice?

Quick Reply