Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm currently in my first year of med school.
I've wanted to be a doctor for a long time and therefore I have done a lot of extra curricular activities to stand out from the crowd.
Now I'm in Med school I feel weird not doing anything like that.
Is there anything I need to do whilst at Med school to stand out from the crowd by fifth year ?
junior.doctor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not yet, no.
How about doing something because YOU want to do it? So much of applying to medicine is about trying to stand out, which means that extra-curriculars etc tend to be done because you have to / for the variety, rather than wanting to do that particular thing. Find a uni society that interests you and do something just because you enjoy it and for no better reason than that. First year is about settling in, learning a good work ethic, getting to grips with the start of the course. An important part of learning how to study is learning how to relax well and learning how to have interests outside of medicine. Birmingham used to have a cake appreciation society. Was so much fun. Not sure it exists anymore though
Ghotay
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by junior.doctor)
Birmingham used to have a cake appreciation society. Was so much fun. Not sure it exists anymore though
Never heard it mentioned, so I suspect not. But there is a baking soc! Sometimes they have tea parties with tea soc

Anyway OP, why don't you join some extracurriculars to make FRIENDS? Try something new, meet weird people, have fun. 1st year is so not about trying to 'stand out'
panda1093
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're in your first year. Take it easy dude, enjoy the course!
If you really want to do something then do things you think you would enjoy like join societies, do some extracurricular stuff etc...
Jckc123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
and im just sitting here hyperventilating whether im going to pass my exams in feb lol..
As what is mentioned above, join societies, make friends and find out what youre interested in. enjoy yourself whilst you can.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've wanted to be a doctor for a long time and therefore I have done a lot of extra curricular activities to stand out from the crowd.
Is there anything I need to do whilst at Med school to stand out from the crowd by fifth year ?
There are things you can do. Should you? Not yet. As you say, you've spent a long time doing things to get into medical school. If you spend the next five/six years trying to stand above your peers to get an FY job - guess what, you'll be doing the same to get ahead for Core training, and then SpR jobs, and then consultant posts... If you let it, it never stops.

For at least the first few years, just relax and enjoy your uni experience.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Your job application for FY1 doesn't include extra-curriculars. For subsequent applications it's a very small part. There are points for things like research projects, posters etc, but it's not something you need to be getting into too early. Use the opportunity to explore new things and meet new people for fun, rather than just CV points!
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Your job application for FY1 doesn't include extra-curriculars. For subsequent applications it's a very small part. There are points for things like research projects, posters etc, but it's not something you need to be getting into too early. Use the opportunity to explore new things and meet new people for fun, rather than just CV points!
indeed

the only other benefit of 'clinical' extra curriculars is the networking - more than a few Doctors and Nurses have got themselves known to the powers that be in emergency care and critical care through involvement in event cover and motorsports giving them exposure to senior staff in specialities ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (94)
27.17%
England (114)
32.95%
Belgium (27)
7.8%
Germany (39)
11.27%
Spain (8)
2.31%