The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons

Hi there

I am did a Foundation Year last year and have now started on the first proper year of my course. So it is a 4 year BSc Mathematics(with Foundation Year).

I am a mature disabled student suffering from mobility issues.

My course involves being in lectures 5 days a week and I am finding this really difficult and I am having to miss some lectures or tutorials as I am not up to driving to Uni (about an hour each way).

I would like to change course to a subject which doesn't involve being in Uni 5 days a week but it's too late to change this year.

If I change next year I have been told that I wont get funding for the first year of the new course. This is because they allow 3 years + 1 gift year for the new course and then take away the 2 years I've already done which only leaves me with 2 years funding.

I have seen that funding can be allowed if you have Compelling Personal Reasons for the previous year but does this only count if you fail the year?

I am doing my best to keep up with the workload at the moment but I can't see this happening for the next 2 1/2 years. I am on course to pass this year, would this stop me from using CPR to get funding for a different course next year?

Sorry if this is a bit long

I hope that someone can help me
Original post by PandaD
Hi there

I am did a Foundation Year last year and have now started on the first proper year of my course. So it is a 4 year BSc Mathematics(with Foundation Year).

I am a mature disabled student suffering from mobility issues.

My course involves being in lectures 5 days a week and I am finding this really difficult and I am having to miss some lectures or tutorials as I am not up to driving to Uni (about an hour each way).

I would like to change course to a subject which doesn't involve being in Uni 5 days a week but it's too late to change this year.

If I change next year I have been told that I wont get funding for the first year of the new course. This is because they allow 3 years + 1 gift year for the new course and then take away the 2 years I've already done which only leaves me with 2 years funding.

I have seen that funding can be allowed if you have Compelling Personal Reasons for the previous year but does this only count if you fail the year?

I am doing my best to keep up with the workload at the moment but I can't see this happening for the next 2 1/2 years. I am on course to pass this year, would this stop me from using CPR to get funding for a different course next year?

Sorry if this is a bit long

I hope that someone can help me

Hi,

We can accept Compelling Personal Reasons even if you pass the year, yes. So long as the evidence you provide is acceptable, we can award an extra year of funding.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Morven SFE
Hi,

We can accept Compelling Personal Reasons even if you pass the year, yes. So long as the evidence you provide is acceptable, we can award an extra year of funding.

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me what happens if my application for CPR is turned down? I really don't want to leave Uni so if I don't get the extra funding I would have to try to continue with my original course. Would I still get the funding to carry on?

I intend to finish this year with some extra help from disability services so that I can keep my options open.

Hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks
Original post by PandaD
Thanks for your reply. Could you please tell me what happens if my application for CPR is turned down? I really don't want to leave Uni so if I don't get the extra funding I would have to try to continue with my original course. Would I still get the funding to carry on?

I intend to finish this year with some extra help from disability services so that I can keep my options open.

Hope you can shed some light on this for me.

Thanks

Hi,

If the first evidence you send into us is not accepted then we would request further evidence until we can try and award this for you.

Thanks.
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply. My main concern is that if I apply for CPR and can't get it would this stop me continuing on my original course. It would be very difficult for me to do this but it would be preferable to dropping out completely.
We wouldn't be able to confirm if your CPR will be accepted, but we would advise you to provide as much evidence as you can, ie doctors letters from the time you didn't attend, confirmation from the university, anything that you feel may help confirm the reasons behind you not attending classes. thanks
Reply 6
I think that you have mis-understood my question.

What I want to know is whether applying for CPR and being denied would stop me from continuing on my 'original' course.

It would be very difficult for me to do this but as I said before this would be preferable to dropping out.

Thanks
Reply 7
Original post by PandaD
I think that you have mis-understood my question.

What I want to know is whether applying for CPR and being denied would stop me from continuing on my 'original' course.

It would be very difficult for me to do this but as I said before this would be preferable to dropping out.

Thanks

T=You would need to change your application with student finance, but this would be easy to do. But if you're turned down for CPR you'd still have the original existing 2 years finance, and can use them how you wish.

You would need to check with your uni what they suggest - they may say that by applying for the new course, you'll lose your place on the old course. But speak to them and see.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending