The Student Room Group

I feel I wasted my time and university

I graduated 6 months ago in IT with 2:1 and ever since I’ve been applying for jobs online. So far I must have applied for 150 jobs and not had a single interview yet. I’ve changed my CV 10 times already. I’ve been to my university’s careers advisors who were useless. I’ve been to my local community service to help with CV but they made a crap new CV. The problem is I have not worked before so I don’t have experience. I wrote on my CV that I did Final Year Project and bit of IT support at for friends and family during spare time. I’ve thought about voluntary work but I can’t find anything relevant to do with IT in my local area. So literally I just feel that degree is pointless and most employers look for experience. Wish I had knew about this before so I wouldn’t have gone to university. Can someone give me advice on what to do now as I really a job and can’t be sitting on my ass at home.
Reply 1
Maybe the problem is that you're looking for IT specific jobs. Start by applying for grad schemes for 2017 entry, most will have digital or technology routes. In the mean time, look for a more temporary job just for this year while you apply to grad schemes. Retail or even work as a teaching assistant - minimum wage but always in demand and one of the easiest jobs for a graduate to secure. You might even consider teaching IT as a career if you like TA work.
Reply 2
Original post by h4mza
I graduated 6 months ago in IT with 2:1 and ever since I’ve been applying for jobs online. So far I must have applied for 150 jobs and not had a single interview yet. I’ve changed my CV 10 times already. I’ve been to my university’s careers advisors who were useless. I’ve been to my local community service to help with CV but they made a crap new CV. The problem is I have not worked before so I don’t have experience. I wrote on my CV that I did Final Year Project and bit of IT support at for friends and family during spare time. I’ve thought about voluntary work but I can’t find anything relevant to do with IT in my local area. So literally I just feel that degree is pointless and most employers look for experience. Wish I had knew about this before so I wouldn’t have gone to university. Can someone give me advice on what to do now as I really a job and can’t be sitting on my ass at home.

Just get a job - any job. What you need as a starting point for a more specific role, is some kind of employment history and a professional reference which says that you're punctual, reliable, honest, hardworking etc. You can get those working in a pub. One of the useful side-effects of having to work during uni, which it sounds like you've missed out on.
Reply 3
This is one of the main reasons why I got a job in retail because these days it's so hard to get a graduate job. You should have applied for Christmas temporary jobs because at least you would have experience to put in your profile rather than nothing. Just get a temp job in retail because it's better then £0 and it'll be experience for you.

Make a LinkedIn profile, I've made one and I've kept it updated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by h4mza

Ah I had the same problem, luckily by final year my mum had said 'stop leeching me for money' and I had to get 2 part time jobs while I studied. This is a good starting point - get a job in something, anything.

Try also volunteering, doing a training programme, anything 'extra' you can put on your CV.

Tbh eventually I went back to uni for a Masters. It's buying me time, giving me additional academic skills, and I have access to the students' union again and all the experience you can get through them. I'm basically trying to do it 'the right way' this time lol.

Basically don't beat yourself up about it or let anyone else get you down about it - just try and get out there, broaden your horizons.

Also re your CV. Maybe don't say 'I help family with IT in my spare time'. Say you do freelance IT repairs or something. Don't lie, but don't put in unnecessary info - e.g., they don't need to know it's your family.
Reply 5
Thanks for replies everyone and it was Bradford University I graduated from

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending