Need advice and help

Watch this thread
heyitsdavina
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, im 19 and ive been looking for work to replace college, im starting to think the reason why they don't want me is because I have 1 C at gcse level... Is that true? I was bullied a lot at school so I didn't try, I applied several times at college to learn my gcse's again but they turned me down because of my maths.. The only way now is to do them online but I have no money cus I can't get a job... All my friends are going out etc I haven't been out at night before.. I feel stressed out because I can't have fun I need help asap
Jackieox
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
So you only have 1 GCSE? That's why you're not getting anything and you'll need to redo them to get a job =/ it's the bare minimum that most places ask for these days..
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by heyitsdavina)
Not entirely. It's going to limit where you can work a bit, you might have to be a bit more strategic about where you apply and how you build experience, but it's basically that you aren't writing competitive applications.

You need to show employers that you have the experience to do the job they are offering. That doesn't mean that you've done the same job before, it means that you've used the same skills before in some aspect of your life. So you have to break the job you are applying for down into skills. There's a CV Help forum that can give specific advice in a private thread if you want.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by heyitsdavina)
Hi, im 19 and ive been looking for work to replace college, im starting to think the reason why they don't want me is because I have 1 C at gcse level... Is that true? I was bullied a lot at school so I didn't try, I applied several times at college to learn my gcse's again but they turned me down because of my maths.. The only way now is to do them online but I have no money cus I can't get a job... All my friends are going out etc I haven't been out at night before.. I feel stressed out because I can't have fun I need help asap
You are looking at it the wrong way. Threeport sees it the right way.

1. Qualifications are important, but for very basic jobs they like to see that you have Maths and English for obvious reasons. If you contact your local college, then they should ahve free courses in functional maths and English, so I would get those, as they are short courses and at least give you the basics. Its importnat for you to have some skill or knowledge in these subjects anyway as they come in handy for day to day life.

You cna also look at reoing GCSE's at college and can get loans with the money being written off. If you are being turned down its becayse you are applying for the wrong courses.

I would see a careers adviser.

2. Getting a job is slightly related, but you cna do that wthout needing qualifications. What you will need are 2 things.

First you need to get job hunting skills, such as how to look for a job, where, how to fill in forms and how to do interviews.

Second you need to understand that what they want as much , if not more than qualifcations is to be sure you have the abiliyu to do the job. that means skills. You need to understand they wnat you to be able to demontrate these soft skills becayse thats hwo they identify what qualities a good employee might be for any particular job.

Skills are such things as good communication, being organised, working in a team, problem solving, being able to cope with pressure, customer service.

To get these you need experience.

To get experience, then i would start with voluntary work and that will also improve your confidence and make it easier for you to get a job.

Why not talk to a careers counsellor?
https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

You can also contact organisations like Princes Trust.
https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/hel...people/get-job

You need to be patient and determined.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.36%

Watched Threads