Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I am in the process of organising a cycle across Scotland with a few friends. I want to do this to raise money for a good charity, preferably a childrens one. Does anyone know one worth raising money for that doesn't take about 90% of money in admin fees? Hopefully this will all be covered by local news as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sublime_envy)
    I am in the process of organising a cycle across Scotland with a few friends. I want to do this to raise money for a good charity, preferably a childrens one. Does anyone know one worth raising money for that doesn't take about 90% of money in admin fees? Hopefully this will all be covered by local news as well.
    I am a bit biased on this but I think the MS society is a really worth while charity which doesn't get much publicity. They do a really good job in helping people who a struck down with the horrible illness. But them again I am biased because my mum has MS.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how much this charity takes in admin fees but Childline is a good charity to consider. They are struggling financially I think, pretty sure anyway, and could do with all the help they can get. It's a great charity and it would seem a shame for the charity to be closed down.

ReputationRep:
    Your best bet is Children in Need as most of the money will go to the actual cause. It is the wrong time of year though but Im sure you could keep the money in a fund until November. Dont give to concern. My mum donated £25 and has recieved loads of leaflets and letters... even a tape!!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by randdom)
    I am a bit biased on this but I think the MS society is a really worth while charity which doesn't get much publicity. They do a really good job in helping people who a struck down with the horrible illness. But them again I am biased because my mum has MS.
    do they take much away in admin fees? I would want to know that any money I raised would go straight to those who need it most

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by female_engineer)
    I'm not sure how much this charity takes in admin fees but Childline is a good charity to consider. They are struggling financially I think, pretty sure anyway, and could do with all the help they can get. It's a great charity and it would seem a shame for the charity to be closed down.
    I agree with that, a very important charity indeed.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by female_engineer)
    thats the free phone number for kids isn't it? Dunno if I would be able to do much, many a few grand. It would be a same to see it close but then again I don't want to give money to a charity that can't do good with it.

I like your name btw, I too am a female engineer :cool:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    Your best bet is Children in Need as most of the money will go to the actual cause. It is the wrong time of year though but Im sure you could keep the money in a fund until November. Dont give to concern. My mum donated £25 and has recieved loads of leaflets and letters... even a tape!!
    what kind of work to they do? lol I don't want to be harassed by any charities so I may stay clear of Concern then!

ReputationRep:
    do they take much away in admin fees? I would want to know that any money I raised would go straight to those who need it most
    They are quite a small charity and they don't spend loads on advertising so I don't think that they are going to spend much on admin. But they do give help to people who really need it.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of work to they do? lol I don't want to be harassed by any charities so I may stay clear of Concern then!
    They help children in the UK, eg neglected children, children who have had to stay at home and care for a sick parent. I saw one programme about children who are forced into prostitution. They also help children in the 'developing' or third world.

ReputationRep:
    Childline need the money to open as many lines as possible...it's so busy that it can be hard to be spoken to straight away. So in that respect the money would be of some use because those in desparate need of a talk will get it. Children in need is also a great charity as already mentioned...bear in mind though that a massive national collection takes place yearly (on TV) and they get millions. This is a good charity though because it helps so many people. e.g. child abuse, drug/alcohol probs/, children with physical/mental disabilities, mental illness, bullying but to name a few, and targets young people up to the age of 18.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.childline.org.uk/Makeadonation.asp

http://www.childline.org.uk/whereyourmoneygoes.asp

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mssociety.org.uk/

ReputationRep:

http://www.chelseabarsbycampaign.org.uk/

This is a particular charity that I try to support where ever possible. The poor lass is currently having her dream holiday in Disney, Florida, swimming with the dolphins at Disc. Cove.

Hopefully she'll have some use of her eyesight to take in the sights of her favourite characters - the eye cancer has just got to extreme levels.

ReputationRep:
    Kidscape or Toybox are good childrens ones, my school raised money for both of them. Unsure of websites though.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you can't find any there is always the "Nik P Foundation", i assure you there are no "admin" fees and all the money will go to a good cause (namely booze money for uni)...
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Nik P)
    Well if you can't find any there is always the "Nik P Foundation", i assure you there are no "admin" fees and all the money will go to a good cause (namely booze money for uni)...
    how very thoughtful of you :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a split personality or something?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    Do you have a split personality or something?
    perhaps....

I am a good person, I just have a mean temper. At least it makes me um...interesting?

ReputationRep:
    perhaps....

I am a good person, I just have a mean temper. At least it makes me um...interesting?
    Yeah... you should put yourself on your list .

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.