EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by GayBoy)
why does the area of a circle = pi * r^2
using calculus, or not?
This page explains the non-calculus way i think, although it's not a totally acurate method, it's accepted as being a reasonable demonstration of how the area equation works.
http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=prove+...%2Ehtml&adurl=
Squishy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A formal proof can be done using integration.

However, you can think about it more informally...all the formula says is that the area of a circle is proportional to its radius*radius (or diameter*diameter)...since the circle is a symmetrical shape, this should be fairly obvious. A square's area is proportional to length*length as well.
GayBoy
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Louise_1988)
using calculus, or not?
go for it...i want any type of proof
EconLou
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by GayBoy)
go for it...i want any type of proof
posted above!! (i'm not a pro-maths dude, but my teached did explain this one to us. Somebody who knows more on the subject may be able to explain better!)
Willla2
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
imagine you draw a tiny tiny tiny segment of a circle. It's effectively a triangle. A triangle's area is .5(base*height). Now the base is easy, that's just r. But the height? Well if we call the tiny angle dx and it is in radians, then the height of the tiny segment is effecitvely it's arclength, which =rdx. So The triangle area = 0.5r^2dx

Now we define there to be 2pi radians in a circle (because that allows us to do radius*angle = arclength), so if we integrate our tiny triangles between 0 and 2pi:

Int(0.5r^2) between = 2pi and 0 =

(since r is a constant) [0.5r^2x] between 2pi and 0 =

[0.5r^2 * 2pi] - [0.5r^2 * 0] = 2*0.5pi*r^2 = pi*r^2 as required
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (38)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (45)
24.06%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (34)
18.18%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (40)
21.39%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (16)
8.56%
I haven't started researching yet (14)
7.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed