montyr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Firstly as far as I'm aware you can still be a solicitor/lawyer with a criminal record depending on the nature of the crime.

What about the impact on recruitment process for training contracts? Is this a factor? Would firms be reluctant to recruit?

E.g. a conviction for being over the drink drive limit resulting in a driving ban.

Cheers.
jambojim97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't even bother. Sorry.
FreedomTower
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think your worrying unnecessarily. :console:
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by montyr)
Firstly as far as I'm aware you can still be a solicitor/lawyer with a criminal record depending on the nature of the crime.

What about the impact on recruitment process for training contracts? Is this a factor? Would firms be reluctant to recruit?

E.g. a conviction for being over the drink drive limit resulting in a driving ban.

Cheers.
To do a training contract you need to be admitted by the SRA

You should contact them, but you will be refused, if you were convicted and received a custodial sentence. Also if you were convicted of more than one crime. Unless there were exceptional circumstances.

The things they are most worried about are dishonesty, violence, sex offences and discrimination.

You are more likely than not going to be refused if you took a variey of cautions or warnings or the offence was less serious.

You should read the rules or contact the SRA. You will need to make a written submission.

Employers will expect you to have sorted out your membership. If you are accepted then they have discetion as to whether they accept the SRA vetting as to your suitability. In any event it will show up in the DBS check so no point in lying.

Ypu cna find more or less what you need just with a bit of googling.
montyr
Rep:
?
I know you can be a lawyer. I've also contacted the SRA and their answer was a generic you need to apply and find out...

I wouldn't ever lie...

It is just the one incident, a driving offence (was beathalysed morning after the night before and banned from driving for a year). Admitted it all, was incredibly apologetic and co-operative, had some mitigating circumstances that the court took into account and was reflected in the length of the ban.

Contacting HR is all well and good but I suspect I'd get a generic "we judge each on a case by case basis", I'd be suprised if any firm would be willing to say "we're not going to take you on" whether they would or not. Hence asking on here...
Danny the Geezer
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FreedomTower)
I think your worrying unnecessarily. :console:
*you're :smug:
EssexBNP
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im pretty sure even ex football hooligans have gone on to be/were ****ing lawyers of all things.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The answer 'it depends on the circumstance' is of course the correct answer, though frustratingly vague. After all, a 'criminal record' can go from a parking ticket to murder.

I personally think that a drink driving ban is problematic for you. Many driving offences would be seen as fairly innocuous, such as SP30/50. Drink driving is of a different level of seriousness, and having a mandatory disqualification would raise some serious questions about your fitness to enter the legal profession - harsh as that may sound. I think you'd have to get some definitive answers from the SRA first - they're probably best placed to have an idea.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Firms are unlikely to give a definitive answer on this. They are likely to tell you that you need to speak to the SRA. They won't want to give an answer on this in fear of being called out on discrimination.

Yes, you're right: I've edited my post to reflect this.
montyr
Rep:
?
Thanks J-SP. Helpful as always. Exactly my thoughts re: contacting HR at firms.

Would you say it is worth paying the £100 and getting myself approved to practice with the SRA? Or is it not going to make a difference? Ultimately some firms will/won't be put off anyway...

Re: google, I already have...that revealed people have become solicitors after much worse and from googling I am fairly confident that I would be approved by the SRA, but the cases I came across were more extreme... The incident didn't impact my security clearance at work as I was honest about it (I hold DV clearance). I could find nothing about getting training contracts with city law firms however...
montyr
Rep:
?
Good point....helps demonstrate commitment too I guess...

SRA said I could apply now to find out, but will take 6 months...

Thanks,
Ryan
sandyamelia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
drink driving doesn't come up on my CRB check as its NOT a criminal offence
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sandyamelia)
1.This thread is 3 years old.- Please dont bump old threads.
2. DD is a criminal offence, there are a number of reasons why somethiung might not show to you.
https://www.drinkdriving.org/info/dr...al-conviction/
montyr
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by sandyamelia)
It is and does. It might not come up if spent but still has to be declared to law firms.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (48)
28.92%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.43%
No I am happy with my choice (92)
55.42%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (12)
7.23%

Watched Threads