The Student Room Group

Calling anyone applying for product design!

Hi everyone,
I'm applying for product design at the following universities; Nottingham, Manchester metropolitan, Nottingham Trent and Loughborough but I am unsure whether to do a BEng or BSc.
I'm struggling to find anyone else applying for product design on tsr so if you are then please leave a comment!
Loughborough has both a BEng and BSc product design course, how do I pick?!
Thanks!
Bump!!
Reply 2
Hi, I've applied for Product Design at
Loughborough (first choice)
Kingston
Bournemouth
Nottingham Trent
UAL
Currently on my way home from a PDT (Bsc) interview at Loughborough!
How did it go? I'm worried that if I apply soon they'll want an interview before Christmas and I have no portfolio ready at all!! I'm guessing your in year 13? What a levels are you doing?
Reply 4
Original post by rndmtngr99
How did it go? I'm worried that if I apply soon they'll want an interview before Christmas and I have no portfolio ready at all!! I'm guessing your in year 13? What a levels are you doing?

It went really well - the day was from 11.30-3ish. Got to meet other applicants and the day started off with registration, then a presentation, lunch🍴and then my interview which was about 20 minutes long. I talked through my portfolio content as well as my Design Task which Loughborough give you to do two weeks before your interview date (they keep a copy of your design task for further review). I was also asked what my favourite product/invention was.

When I got given the link for the interview confirmation portal, from what I could see I think they were offering one interview date per month but you'll need to double check that with the Design School. πŸ–

Regarding your portfolio, I'd aim to put it together as soon as possible, probably before Christmas🌲 so that you can get it out of the way!

Yes I'm in Year 13, studying English Literature, Maths and Fine Art :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by 10ojoo
It went really well - the day was from 11.30-3ish. Got to meet other applicants and the day started off with registration, then a presentation, lunch🍴and then my interview which was about 20 minutes long. I talked through my portfolio content as well as my Design Task which Loughborough give you to do two weeks before your interview date (they keep a copy of your design task for further review). I was also asked what my favourite product/invention was.

When I got given the link for the interview confirmation portal, from what I could see I think they were offering one interview date per month but you'll need to double check that with the Design School. πŸ–

Regarding your portfolio, I'd aim to put it together as soon as possible, probably before Christmas🌲 so that you can get it out of the way!

Hope this helps!

Thanks! This is really helpful! I'm going to apply early next week so if they give you 2 weeks to prepare then it should be after Christmas! Was there a lot of people there? Are you allowed to say what the design task was, I think everyone will get different anyway?! What are your predicted grades? Thanks for the information, seems so difficult finding anyone else taking product design!
Reply 6
Thanks! This is really helpful! I'm going to apply early next week so if they give you 2 weeks to prepare then it should be after Christmas! Was there a lot of people there? Are you allowed to say what the design task was, I think everyone will get different anyway?! What are your predicted grades? Thanks for the information, seems so difficult finding anyone else taking product design!

That's good, all the best with your application!! :h: Yes there were roughly 60 applicants in the initial room and most of us had our parents with us. It seems like a lot of people but it didn't feel like it, the room was big enough for everyone (upstairs in the Design School).

I don't want to mention the details of the design task just in case we're not allowed to, but it is a straightforward assignment and an enjoyable one in my opinion :biggrin:.

I'm predicted AAC (C in maths) but I will be retaking the C1 and C2 exams alongside my A2 ones this summer. And yeah not many people do/have even heard of a 'product design' course.

Once again, best wishes with your application, maybe we will find ourselves at the same Uni this time next year! :tongue:
Original post by 10ojoo
That's good, all the best with your application!! :h: Yes there were roughly 60 applicants in the initial room and most of us had our parents with us. It seems like a lot of people but it didn't feel like it, the room was big enough for everyone (upstairs in the Design School).

I don't want to mention the details of the design task just in case we're not allowed to, but it is a straightforward assignment and an enjoyable one in my opinion :biggrin:.

I'm predicted AAC (C in maths) but I will be retaking the C1 and C2 exams alongside my A2 ones this summer. And yeah not many people do/have even heard of a 'product design' course.

Once again, best wishes with your application, maybe we will find ourselves at the same Uni this time next year! :tongue:

Yeah I'm retaking C1 again this summer as I'm predicted BBB and A in a separate finance qualification. That would be weird if we end up on the same course!:biggrin: I haven't thought about taking parents with me, Loughborough is over an hour away so I'd rather not get a train on my own! Did most people wear smart clothes or just normal everyday stuff?
Reply 8
Yeah I'm retaking C1 again this summer as I'm predicted BBB and A in a separate finance qualification. That would be weird if we end up on the same course!:biggrin: I haven't thought about taking parents with me, Loughborough is over an hour away so I'd rather not get a train on my own! Did most people wear smart clothes or just normal everyday stuff?

I'd recommend taking someone with you for moral support really but some people came on their own. Most people wore smart/business wear. This is a quote from my interview email:

' What to wear
As this is a fairly formal event most of our applicants wear business attire, although many do also come in smart casual dress. Please also remember that you may wish to take a School tour and have a walk around campus so it may be necessary to bring appropriate footwear and clothing to do so. '
I toured on the Open Day in summer so I didn't tour again on the day.
Original post by 10ojoo
I'd recommend taking someone with you for moral support really but some people came on their own. Most people wore smart/business wear. This is a quote from my interview email:

' What to wear
As this is a fairly formal event most of our applicants wear business attire, although many do also come in smart casual dress. Please also remember that you may wish to take a School tour and have a walk around campus so it may be necessary to bring appropriate footwear and clothing to do so. '
I toured on the Open Day in summer so I didn't tour again on the day.

I'll probably wear a shirt and tie then, thanks for all this information! Did you receive an offer?
Reply 10
I'll probably wear a shirt and tie then, thanks for all this information! Did you receive an offer?

I got told it'll take 2 weeks for my result so I'll have to wait and see :smile:
Original post by 10ojoo
I got told it'll take 2 weeks for my result so I'll have to wait and see :smile:

Good luck, let me know what happens! Hopefully we'll have some more people commenting by then:biggrin:
Reply 12
Good luck, let me know what happens! Hopefully we'll have some more people commenting by then:biggrin:

Will do and yep, fingers crossed ✌
Original post by 10ojoo
It went really well - the day was from 11.30-3ish. Got to meet other applicants and the day started off with registration, then a presentation, lunch🍴and then my interview which was about 20 minutes long. I talked through my portfolio content as well as my Design Task which Loughborough give you to do two weeks before your interview date (they keep a copy of your design task for further review). I was also asked what my favourites product/invention was.

Hope this helps!

What was your portfolio like?
I've got an interview in January for Pd and ID and I'm not sure what to do.
Reply 14
Original post by WorldofCrazies
What was your portfolio like?
I've got an interview in January for Pd and ID and I'm not sure what to do.

This is the link for the Lboro design portfolio guidlines:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/design-school/study/undergraduate/portfolio-advice/

I put in some large paintings and drawings (A2), photocopies of my best sketchbook pages which included me studying sculpture & 3D forms and some drawings from when I did a Life Drawing workshop at school. I made sure to include any of my art that overlapped with product design/form basically.

I also brought along a small sculpture I made :smile:
Original post by 10ojoo
This is the link for the Lboro design portfolio guidlines:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/design-school/study/undergraduate/portfolio-advice/

I put in some large paintings and drawings (A2), photocopies of my best sketchbook pages which included me studying sculpture & 3D forms and some drawings from when I did a Life Drawing workshop at school. I made sure to include any of my art that overlapped with product design/form basically.

I also brought along a small sculpture I made :smile:

Thanks, I've read the link before but still was unsure as most of my coursework has loads of writing all over it, and I called them up to ask but they weren't really clear.

So you included other things, not just product design work?
Do you think I should include things like digital art and web design as well as my coursework?
Reply 16
Original post by WorldofCrazies
Thanks, I've read the link before but still was unsure as most of my coursework has loads of writing all over it, and I called them up to ask but they weren't really clear.

So you included other things, not just product design work?
Do you think I should include things like digital art and web design as well as my coursework?

Yeah I didn't just put PD work, mostly because I hadn't done much of it in Fine Art - sculpture was the closest I could get! And yeah I'd add those on top of your coursework to show skill across different areas, as long as it doesn't overtake your drawing-y practical content :smile:
Reply 17

Just received an offer from Loughborough (and Kingston) today!
Original post by 10ojoo
Just received an offer from Loughborough (and Kingston) today!

Well done! What was the offer? I've sent my application off from my end, just waiting for school to send it!
Reply 19
Thanks - ABB with a B minimum in Art. That's good, shouldn't be long until you get your interview

Quick Reply

Latest