Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    Usually when you meet someone, if they are nice you see them in better light, i mean you start to see them prettier than they are and if someone was a complete ***** they become uglier. So when you befriend someone they dont have to be great looking or even good looking. But eventually, if you like their personality your perception of their physical appearance will change.
    I totally agree with that, the most physically attractive people can become ugly if they are a horrible person. It's weird really; don't think its the same for everyone though, looks go a long way for some peeps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fivebyfive)
    I totally agree with that, the most physically attractive people can become ugly if they are a horrible person. It's weird really; don't think its the same for everyone though, looks go a long way for some peeps.
    I dont know about that way round but I have experienced it firsthand the otherway round. My best mate is not exactly attractive, though she has a great figure, but the more time I spend with her the more attractive she looks. I think its something to do with the fact she is really nice and caring.

However if I ever see another girl I used to know I am sure I would find her alot less atractive than I used to on account of what she has done to me. She is pure evil, well more evil than any girl I have ever known and I have known some right *****es. Grrrrr. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Need a bit a both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFi25)
    I dont know about that way round but I have experienced it firsthand the otherway round. My best mate is not exactly attractive, though she has a great figure, but the more time I spend with her the more attractive she looks. I think its something to do with the fact she is really nice and caring.

However if I ever see another girl I used to know I am sure I would find her alot less atractive than I used to on account of what she has done to me. She is pure evil, well more evil than any girl I have ever known and I have known some right *****es. Grrrrr. :mad:
    Yeah and the other way around of course .

ReputationRep:
    At this age I would have to say looks are more important than personality unless your talking about "serious" relationships involving plans to get married.

There are 2 types of girl.

1.) There is the kind of girl you'd take back to your parents.

This girl would need a great personality and you'd have to find her attractive to be at that stage anyway. At this stage personality would be more important.

2.) The kind of girl you'd take back to your apartment.

The only factor here is how attractive she is.

However, where alchohol is involved you ask yourself only 2 questions..
    1.)Is she a girl?
    2.)Is she over 16 or over?

If the answer to these 2 questions is Yes, no other criteria is needed.

So alchohol can render attractiveness as an unimportant factor whereas nothing can hide a bad personality. So personality wins!

ReputationRep:
    I think for short term relationships looks is the crucial thing, and maybe the starter for a more serious one if...you like the personality. If someone is looking for a long term relationship, then obviously personality and other factors are important. It's about features that may make them a good mother/father for ur children etc...

I think that sometimes you may find someone who looks ok, but didn't fancy them first, and if your an open person and likes to make friends, then as you learn more about them, you may find them more attractive, even their looks. Also I think it's quite mutual, sometimes if someone likes you, show you that they are attracted to you, you may feel flattered, and find them quite attractive too...and look at them in a different way!

:cool:

I have been reading a book talking about attractions between the sexes, i.e what we are debating about looks/personality...so excuse me if the ideas I've brought up sound weird

ReputationRep:
    I think looks are definately important. If you meet a girl, you first review her looks and then try to develope the conversation accordingly
    Either, 1. Try to be friends?
    2. Try to be friends and maybe more?

After that personality becomes into play and then you ask yourself those two questions again. Also as you get to know someone better, and you see them more often, you change your original thoughts on their looks and personality.

Thats why its hard but not impossible to get to fancy someone who is fairly ugly. But if you really like the look of someone originally but all they talk about is the latest fashion then its a fairly rapid turnoff. I may be wrong but thats my opinion

And of course some people just have it all!

ReputationRep:
    Both are important.

There is this stunning girl across the road to me but as soon as she opens her mouth

ReputationRep:
    I think that looks definitely are important for an initial attraction. But of course once you starting seeing someone seriously, the personalities need to match as well or else you won’t get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    I think that looks definitely are important for an initial attraction. But of course once you starting seeing someone seriously, the personalities need to match as well or else you won’t get anywhere.
    This is what Match.com has to say about me:

Favorite Qualities
    Your choices suggest a woman over 35 may be a little old for you
    You seemed interested in dating a woman at least 25 or older
    Very beautiful women <--- 3 months ago it said Blonde Hair there
    Sharp, narrow chins
    Wide and angular "diamond" or heart-shaped faces
    So-called "Ecto-Mesomorphs," with narrow chins and nicely angular faces

Favorite Looks
    Clear the runway! You seem fascinated by women we call "Super Models." With somewhat square jaws and long, rectangular faces, combined with a serious expression, these women can often be intimidating. It's hard to keep your eyes off their strikingly full lips. Otherwise, they have well proportioned features, and lack the tiny noses and big eyes that make other women look more "cute" than beautiful. In fact, they have a mature and sophisticated look that's never "girlish." Very stylish, with perfect, under-stated makeup and hair, these women seem like they're modeling the latest look no matter where they are or what they're wearing. So, it should be easy for you (and the other 1 in 3 (30%) men who are fascinated by this type) to find her.
    And again, the bit about super models never went up 3 months ago. Taste in looks change. What's not changing it's taste in personality. To be in a long term relationship, you must be attracted by something that doesn't change. Otherwise, you will fall out. We all know that beauty doesn't last forever. On that account, personality wins, big time.

Side Note: I do have an eye for very beautiful women. As for the other eye, it is for women with great personalities.

ReputationRep:
    the only thing important is the looks, the rest is all just a bonus

ReputationRep:
    I think that the best option is to avoid extremes; the nicest looking girls often seem to be snobish because they know how good looking they are. Basicaly what I'm saying is that you need the right mixture of personality and looks... oh and money - loads of money is nice too!

ReputationRep:
    When I started going out with my current bf, I was quite puzzled as to why he actually wanted to go out with me... I mean, I wouldn't say I'm ugly, but I've always seemed to go for the easy guys...

Anyway, I talked to my brother about it (coz my bf is his best friend) and he said that not many guys see themselves being with tall, slim, amazingly good-looking, stuck-up girls for the rest of their lives. So I suppose I agree with what's been said by lots of other people... anywhere up to the age of say, 22, guys probably see looks as being far more important than personality... which is perfectly normal coz not every relationship is meant to be serious. Then personality will gradually become more and more important. Although, looks will never be by-passed.

I'd say looks are less important to girls though.. most girls don't mind a guy with a bit of a belly... but a girl with a belly :rolleyes: she won't have much chance with decent guys till later on in life

*Tara*

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.