?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Very Important factor when picking a uni
BringMeTheRadke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
On campus, there's the SU which has an event on every Friday. These range from really good to just bleh. I prefer medicine which is a really big and good bar on campus with events sometimes and decent prices. By the university is a pub called The monkey's forehead, but the uni are buying that so idk what it's going to turn into. There's lots of other nice pubs around the place, and of course you're a train away from london waterloo so if you fancy it you can just go for a full on night out in london, and you can't really complain about that. There's also a few clubs in windsor which have coaches/buses running if there are events on. There isn't a massive lack in nightlife at all, at least I havent found there is. But obviously depends what your preferences are because when there aren't events on, medicine/the su are pretty empty so you need a good group of friends to go with,
Toast is always awesome.
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Dekoh)
Very Important factor when picking a uni
Quite fiery judging by recent reports of arson
LydiaIbbi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd say that there is definitely a lack of nightlife at Royal Holloway. I lived in Founders halls and we were not allowed to pre-drink in the halls without getting reported by other students and security would come up.

Bear in mind, we would only be in the corridors in the first place because there is literally nothing really else to do there. There is a small "club" on campus which plays music which has no variety and is nothing special. This of course is convenient but given that there isn't really anywhere else to go, isn't great.

There is not a decent/lively bar in the nearby town, and the last train to get back to Egham from London is around 23:30 so a night out in London is pretty limited. If going is out is important to you, I'd seriously consider moving to RH
Umz13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Founders can be like that specially if you don't get great flatmates. I live in Wedderburn this year and we always have pre drinks all the time, get loaded and after parties going on with the music blasting. As long as no one in the flat complains it's usually fine. But the best parties I have attended were in the houses in Engelfield Green with a proper DJ and lighting system. Of course not everyone knows about those as they are private events.

There are a few bars around however I can't say much about those. SU has some great events and it's spacious but usually the music is just not to my taste and the bar is small so it's always overcrowded. Medicne is a smaller venue with a big bar but a limited dancing area. Monday nights over there are usually packed. I much prefer the SU over Medicine due to the dancing area size.

Then there is Atiik in Windsor which is a few minutes away. I often go there when there's not much going on or when I know SU or Medince will be dull. They have some really good events sometimes. In my opinion it is the best place to go to if you want to pick up girls. GIrls actually hit on you from my experience. Many students however however seem to hate it based on their experiences there with the secuirty or staff.

All in all I would say that the nightlife is actually very decent decent, nothing worth bragging about but you are at uni anyway. Go to flat/house parties and have fun there. No lack of that by any means. There are also adult clubs in Windosr and some of those are pretty nice if someone wants to go for an odd night there. Trust me you are not missing out on much unless it's an LGBT club one is after.

Otherwise there is London but since there are no trains back, either have a place to stay over or you can expect to pay between 35-50 quid for an uber if the fare rate is normal so that's not convinent.
Timeoutin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Being a first-year student here, I can say that nightlife in RHUL has been a big deception for me.
I feel like the university doesn't put enough effort and money on providing its students with some good nightlife experiences.
It's not like the surroundings are helping anyway, Egham is the most depressing town that I have ever seen and there isn't much to do in Windsor either.
Security is extremely rude and unnecessarily intrusive which doesn't help either, sometimes they behave like you are in a prestigious club in London. It's a university let us live a bit
I once went for a night out at Surrey University, and I was very sad to discover that their venues are astonishingly so much better than ours.

Thank god London is not that far, but it is very expensive and unpractical to go there every weekend if you don't have a place to stay in for the night.
Neurox
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The first train back from London is usually the 5:05... If you're serious about clubbing that's nothing, the decent London clubs only close at 6/7AM Aside from that there are some earlier buses and trains via Slough etc. that might work but it's not really worth the hassle.

But yeah for just the average weekly night out, there's not a huge variety. It's campus, Windsor or London. The upside is that you'll see a lot of people you know on nights out because there aren't many alternatives. There are certainly worse unis for nightlife but you've got to put in a lot of effort if you want to venture much further than campus. I tend to go to London once every month or so for a big night out, then just do Toast (£1.50 drinks night at Medicine, the bigger bar on campus) and the occasional SU night.

There are a lot of pubs in the local area though, so pub quizes and more quiet nights are certainly possible. There are times when I'd rather have gone to say Bristol, Leeds or a proper London uni but you can still have a lot of fun at RHUL!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (407)
18.64%
The paper was reasonable (1039)
47.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (485)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.58%

Watched Threads