Poll: Would it be okay to drop a subject?
Yes (6)
42.86%
No (8)
57.14%
draperaidan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The question all (or most?) unconditional offer holders want to know is as follows : what would happen if I drop out of A levels? I have received an unconditional offer for an ABB course at *university* to do *course*. My predicted grades are however ACC, so this offer came as a complete surprise (it's not like I have a glimmering CV either so I *assume* they just liked my personal statement). But yeah, I was wondering everyone's opinion on whether you can drop out/drop a subject and if this SHOULD happen. Thanks
Hamo2509
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A lot of internships ask for a certain amount of UCAS points so I really wouldn't advise it.
Rockyboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If i get unconditional offer i wouldn't even bother going to 6th form/college. Your pretty much guaranteed a place
Shadow Hunters
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by draperaidan)
The question all (or most?) unconditional offer holders want to know is as follows : what would happen if I drop out of A levels? I have received an unconditional offer for an ABB course at *university* to do *course*. My predicted grades are however ACC, so this offer came as a complete surprise (it's not like I have a glimmering CV either so I *assume* they just liked my personal statement). But yeah, I was wondering everyone's opinion on whether you can drop out/drop a subject and if this SHOULD happen. Thanks
I was wondering the same but I also think I wouldn't because there isn't a 100% likelihood I'll complete the course and if I don't complete school and then I go to uni and dropout then I'm not doing so well. That's just my opinion.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unconditional offers assume you ll achieve a pass in those qualifications they could take it away from you if you don't get them. Although you don't need to worry about grades your first year of your degree could be difficult if you re not used to working anymore or don't have that knowledge because you didn't try with your a levels
draperaidan
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
Unconditional offers assume you ll achieve a pass in those qualifications they could take it away from you if you don't get them. Although you don't need to worry about grades your first year of your degree could be difficult if you re not used to working anymore or don't have that knowledge because you didn't try with your a levels
How about dropping a particular subject? Would asking the university if dropping the subject be okay mean that they might revoke the offer based off that alone?
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
failure to offer any completed levle 3 qualification could very well result in termination of the offer ...

are these new generation of 'unconditionals' actually Unconditional Offers as everyone else understand them
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zippyRN)
failure to offer any completed levle 3 qualification could very well result in termination of the offer ...

are these new generation of 'unconditionals' actually Unconditional Offers as everyone else understand them
They aren't as always as they used to be,now there are some which are unconditional if firm offers so it's more a marketing tool in that sense.
draperaidan
Rep:
?
They aren't as always as they used to be,now there are some which are unconditional if firm offers so it's more a marketing tool in that sense.
That's how mine is, yes
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How about dropping a particular subject? Would asking the university if dropping the subject be okay mean that they might revoke the offer based off that alone?
Asking should not but it's likely that would be a yes.
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Indeed, because the defintion of Unconditional Offer always was - has met the matriculation requirements at the point of offer ... where now especially with the move back to Linear A levels 'unconditional' offers are being made to people without a completed level 3 qualification
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I was wondering everyone's opinion on whether you can drop out/drop a subject and if this SHOULD happen. Thanks
(Original post by Rockyboy)
If i get unconditional offer i wouldn't even bother going to 6th form/college. Your pretty much guaranteed a place
Dropping out would be foolish in the extreme, for three reasons:

1. All UCAS offers make the assumption (which is a condition of applying) that you have told the truth on your application about your educational plans and that you will tell the universities and UCAS if any circumstances change (including dropping subjects), at which point they have the option of changing or withdrawing any offers made. If you don't tell them they can nullify the offer too.

2. If things go wrong on your course and you have to drop out, you will have no A-levels upon which you can start again if you have dropped out of A-levels.

3. Many employers look at both A-level results and degree results when evaluating candidates.
draperaidan
Rep:
?
Asking should not but it's likely that would be a yes.
Yes as in it is okay to drop the subject?
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's how mine is, yes
what are the exact terms of your 'unconditional offer' ...

bearing in mind before the use of 'unconditional if firmed' offers for marketing purposes came around the ONLY way to get an Unconditional offer was to have completed your level 3 qualification BEFORE the start of the UCAS cycle in question.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Indeed, because the defintion of Unconditional Offer always was - has met the matriculation requirements at the point of offer ... where now especially with the move back to Linear A levels 'unconditional' offers are being made to people without a completed level 3 qualification
The lesser universities in particular are in a race to the bottom to ensure they fill their places and guarantee funding. Eventually they'll be offering places to people predicted to fail A-levels.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes as in it is okay to drop the subject?
Sorry,I meant it's possible they would take away the offer if you drop a subject
draperaidan
Rep:
?
what are the exact terms of your 'unconditional offer' ...

bearign in mind before the use of 'unconditional if firmed' offers for marketign purposes vcame around the ONLY way to get an Unconditional offer was to have completed your level 3 qualification BEFORE the start of the UCAS cycle in question.
" This means that if you make *uni* your Firm choice, we will respond to this
commitment by making your offer unconditional. If *uni* is your insurance choice then the conditions remain as above. "

No mention of other conditions, website just says that your place is secure regardless of final results
Petulia
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You will really struggle to apply for grad schemes with no A Levels. If a uni gives you an unconditional, it means you've shown through your AS grades that you're already on track to do really well, and they expect you to continue making that progress. It would be a real shame for you to drop out after doing so well in your AS, because in the real world your AS grades mean nothing. Everyone wants to know your A2 results and your overall UCAS points. An AS grade is worth half the UCAS points of an A2 grade (not sure if this still applies to the new tariff system).
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
" This means that if you make *uni* your Firm choice, we will respond to this
commitment by making your offer unconditional. If *uni* is your insurance choice then the conditions remain as above. "

No mention of other conditions, website just says that your place is secure regardless of final results
I think you need to look at the matricualtion requirements for HEI in question then ... so see if they allow 'conventional ' route applicants to enrol without completed level 3 qualifications ,,,
InArduisFouette
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Petulia)
You will really struggle to apply for grad schemes with no A Levels. If a uni gives you an unconditional, it means you've shown through your AS grades that you're already on track to do really well, and they expect you to continue making that progress. It would be a real shame for you to drop out after doing so well in your AS, because in the real world your AS grades mean nothing. Everyone wants to know your A2 results and your overall UCAS points. An AS grade is worth half the UCAS points of an A2 grade (not sure if this still applies to the new tariff system).
when everyone was taking AS levels in their subjects there was some traction to Unconditional offers being made on the basis of the AS results as completed level 3 qualifications ( same as offers for Scottish students' Offers being made on the basis of Highers even if they were doing CSYS)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (123)
65.43%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.74%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.83%

Watched Threads