How is the english school system working? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi! I'm a 14 year old girl from Norway, and I'm doing a project on English schools.
I wonder if anyone could tell me how the school system in England works? How old are the children when they start at school, and what is the name of the first school they're going to?
Then, when do they change school? At what age? Is that the secondary school?
Do you have sort of High School?

I'll be very thankful if anyone of you could help me with some answers, or else have a link to a page where I can find what I need.

*Lina Guldager, Norway
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Hi! I'm a 14 year old girl from Norway, and I'm doing a project on English schools.
I wonder if anyone could tell me how the school system in England works? How old are the children when they start at school, and what is the name of the first school they're going to?

I'll be very thankful if anyone of you could help me with some answers, or else have a link to a page where I can find what I need.

*Lina Guldager, Norway
Hei!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2994018.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education...ms/default.stm (on the right hand side, there is a drop down menu under "england" that should be helpful.

Hope this helps
Ida.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)

*Lina Guldager, Norway
In some parts of Britain they have nursery schools (kindergartens) for small children age 3 to 5, but children normally start infant school in the year in which they will be five. The first class is called the reception class and is more llike kindergarten. They then stay in infant school for two more years , until the age of seven, when they go to junior school for four more years. Sometimes infant and junior school are all in one, then it is called primary school.
At the age of eleven, children move on to secondary school. This is usually a comprehensive school for children of all abilities, but in some places we still have grammar schools, which select only the more intelligent by using an exam. Some secondary schools are run by the churches (catholic or church of England usually), and some secondary schools are single sex (boys or girls only). It may surprise you that most secondary schools have a school uniform, and many primary schools do too. Parents can choose which school to send their child to, but popular good schools can be very difficult to get into.
Most secondary schools go up to the age of 18, but in some places the pupils leave at 16 and there is a sixth form college to take all the pupils in the area who want to stay on at school until the age of 18. As well as the state school system, we have many private schools, and they operate a little differently.
Pencil
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Infant School
Year 1 - 5/6
Year 2 - 6/7
Primary School
Year 3 - 7/8
Year 4 - 8/9
Year 5 - 9/10
Year 6 - 10/11
High School
Year 7 - 11/12
Year 8 - 12/13
Year 9 - 13/14
GCSE Years (compulsary)
Year 10 - 14/15
Year 11 - 15/16
A-level Years (optional)
Year 12 - 16/17
Year 13 - 17/18
Year 14 - 18/19 (optional year)

During the GCSE years, pupils are required to take around 10 or 11 GCSEs - each graded A*-G. Anyone who achieves 5 C grades is allowed to take 4 or more A-levels for the next 2 years. Universities normally require an average of 4 A-levels in any general subject.
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Pencil)
During the GCSE years, pupils are required to take around 10 or 11 GCSEs - each graded A*-G. Anyone who achieves 5 C grades is allowed to take 4 or more A-levels for the next 2 years. Universities normally require an average of 4 A-levels in any general subject.

what kinda school/ uni are you in/going to???

im my school we had kids doing as little as two or three GCSE's. 9 was normal. 10 was rare.

and whats with the 4 or more A levels???

i dont know any uni that asks for 4 A-levels??? the norm is for 3 A-levels???and many take people with one A-level!

love Katy ***
Pencil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At my school, everyone took around 10 GCSEs - it was required. The only people who did under 5 were those who hated school and had to do core subjects such as English, Maths and Science. There weren't many though.

Ok, the A-level thing's a bit more complex than I described but generally, a lot of people do take the equivalent of 4 or more.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
At my school, everyone took around 10 GCSEs - it was required. The only people who did under 5 were those who hated school and had to do core subjects such as English, Maths and Science. There weren't many though.

Ok, the A-level thing's a bit more complex than I described but generally, a lot of people do take the equivalent of 4 or more.
Do you mean 4 ASs, because most people in my school took 4 ASs, and ropped a subject for the A2s.
Pencil
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Xenon)
Do you mean 4 ASs, because most people in my school took 4 ASs, and ropped a subject for the A2s.
Yep and then more ASs the next year.
elisabeth_rb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
[High School
Year 7 - 11/12
Year 8 - 12/13
Year 9 - 13/14
GCSE Years (compulsary)
Year 10 - 14/15
Year 11 - 15/16
A-level Years (optional)
Year 12 - 16/17
Year 13 - 17/18
Year 14 - 18/19 (optional year)

Just for the sake of clarity for our Norwegian guest, all these 3 sections can be taken at high school. In fact, most people do their GCSEs at high school then you can choose to stay on do do A Levels in 6th form or go to a college to so them.

Universities actually require an everage of THREE subjects, not 4, although many people take four including general studs. I believe the usual pattern now, esp for very bright students, is to take 5 AS levels inc GS and then continue 4 to A2 level.

Elisabeth=)
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
just to complicate things further some counties such as dorset still have the first, middle and upper school system

first
reception then years 1-4

middle
years 5-8

upper
years 9-13
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi again, everybody!
I would like to thank all of you whom has replied to me. It's a great help in my work!
Thanks!
FiveFishes
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
our primary school was very complicated, we had 10 classes and you skipped some. you did reception class when you were 4 and then years 1,2,3,4,5,6. at the end of year six you would go up to high school where you do years 7,8,9,10,11. and then you can go onto sixth form or college to do year 12 & 13.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (208)
12.78%
Excited (144)
8.85%
Worried (295)
18.12%
Terrified (367)
22.54%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%
Putting on a brave face (223)
13.7%
Impatient (207)
12.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise