EU national eligibility for tuition and maintenance loans

Watch
charlie9255
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I'm an EU national applying for various undergraduate courses, September 2017 entry. I have been studying a higher-education course in Czech Republic for the past three years, but won't receive a degree until late 2018. To my understanding, If I were to interrupt my current studies and start a course in the UK, I would be eligible for maintenance loan in full, but only a year of tuition funding. Am I right in this, or wrong? Thanks for your help.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by charlie9255)
Hi,

I'm an EU national applying for various undergraduate courses, September 2017 entry. I have been studying a higher-education course in Czech Republic for the past three years, but won't receive a degree until late 2018. To my understanding, If I were to interrupt my current studies and start a course in the UK, I would be eligible for maintenance loan in full, but only a year of tuition funding. Am I right in this, or wrong? Thanks for your help.
Wrong, I m afraid as you won't meet the residency criteria to get a maintainance loan as you ve never lived here. You may get tuition but it's possible you could get no funding at all as the funding rules could change with brexit.
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Wrong, I m afraid as you won't meet the residency criteria to get a maintainance loan as you ve never lived here. You may get tuition but it's possible you could get no funding at all as the funding rules could change with brexit.
EU Funding is remaining for 17/18 - confirmed. No news on 2018/19 yet though
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by charlie9255)
Hi,

You are wrong I'm afraid.

To expand on above comments, as an EU resident, you would not qualify for any Maintenance Loan at all until you have been "ordinarily resident " (i.e. not a student) in the UK for five full years before the start of your degree course.

The Tuition Fee Loan in your case would be calculated based on how many years of uni-level study you have previously done. The calculation is:

Number of years of your new course (Minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (Plus) One year = Student Finance entitlement

Assuming you ae studying full-time where you currently live... If you start a 3 year degree in the UK, this gives you 3-3+1= one year of the Tuition Fee Loan, which you would get in your third year. You would have to pay your own tuition fees for the first two years of your degree. If you are currently in your fourth year, this would be counted as a complete year for the purposes of the calculation, giving you 3-4+1=0 entitlement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (77)
29.5%
No (184)
70.5%

Watched Threads