The Student Room Group

Parents don't want me to wear a turban

I wear a turban and have job interviews coming up. My parents think that I won't get through the interviews because I wear a turban. They also want me to shave my beard. I really don't want to take it off as it benefits me rather than anyone else.
Don't change yourself to appease your parents.

And frankly, if the interviewer discriminates against you because of your faith, you'd be better off working somewhere else.
Original post by Anonymous
I wear a turban and have job interviews coming up. My parents think that I won't get through the interviews because I wear a turban. They also want me to shave my beard. I really don't want to take it off as it benefits me rather than anyone else.

My workplace has plenty of Sikhs who wear the turban and have a beard. I would say that it shouldn't be a problem. Also if a company doesn't hire people who wear turbans/have a beard, do you really want to work for a company like that?

My sister for example works in a company with mostly white men. She began wearing the hijab last year and didn't have any issues or weird looks. So many places are not prejudiced towards minorities.
Reply 3
Original post by Lord Samosa
My workplace has plenty of Sikhs who wear the turban and have a beard. I would say that it shouldn't be a problem. Also if a company doesn't hire people who wear turbans/have a beard, do you really want to work for a company like that?

My sister for example works in a company with mostly white men. She began wearing the hijab last year and didn't have any issues or weird looks. So many places are not prejudiced towards minorities.

I am living in Cumbria. Very few Sikhs here. I am guessing you are either in London or the West Midlands?
Reply 4
You shouldn't have to "westernise" yourself if you're a good candidate. Be confident in yourself - wearing a turban doesn't mean you're less educated or not as good at the job as a white person. Try not to let your nerves show in your interviews, and while your parents are only thinking about your future, you just need to reassure them that you know you have the right skills and personality to get through an interview.

A lot of Muslim girls who wear the hijab don't shake hands with male interviewers, and I guess that is one thing that can give them a disadvantage in an interview. Not everyone is aware that it's because of religious reasons that they're not shaking hands, and it can come across as rude sometimes, especially because a lot of them refuse it quite suddenly and don't actually explain it. So if you or anyone else reading this thread has an issue like this in interviews i.e things you can't participate in because of religious reasons, then you should make it clear or find an alternative rather than outright refusing to do something and being blunt. I just think that's the main downfall for a lot of Muslim girls and I've seen it happen a lot at graduation ceremonies too where the girl just walks straight past, whereas there are others who actually do manage to make it clear that they won't be shaking hands without actually seeming rude about it.
Erm thats ridiculous.
Your parents sound ridiculous, sorry.
don't change yourself...plz don't
I am living in Cumbria. Very few Sikhs here. I am guessing you are either in London or the West Midlands?

West Midlands, although originally from Wales with very few Asians. Honestly, if you are capable and a right fit for the job, I think you'll be fine. Go into your interviews with confidence and don't assume you'll be judged for your turban or beard. That will affect your confidence. Showcase what you've got and you'll do great.
Reply 8
Why do you wear a turban?
Reply 9
Original post by M14B
Why do you wear a turban?

Religious reasons.

Ignore them. Satguru is more omnipotent than your parents. Akal Purakh will assist you, you'll get a job. How many turbaned men (even women) have professional jobs? Many. Parents take their children away from Sikhi then when they take the wrong path, their the first to run to the Gurdwara crying, whinging, like babies asking Khuda for assistance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending