This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
V1077 – NHS Council Bill 2016 (Second Reading), TSR Government

NHS COUNCIL BILL 2016
An Act to reform the way that the NHS budget is allocated.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen’s most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Definitions
(1) Healthcare regulators are bodies that supervise particular sectors of the NHS.
(2) 'Surgery' refers to a series of meetings that the council may have with NHS staff and members of the general public, at which these individuals may raise issues of concern.

2: Creation of an 'NHS Executive Council' (NHSEC)
(1) By the end of the year in which the provisions of this Act come into force, a council shall be formed consisting of 20 members of which; 10 shall be healthcare professionals, 9 shall be management experts and a chairman.
(2) The healthcare professionals will be elected to the council every 5 years by healthcare regulators.
(1) (1) Each of the following healthcare regulators will select one councillor:
1. Nursing and Widwifery Council
2. General Dental Council
3. General Optical Council
4. General Osteopathic Council
5. General Pharmaceutical Council
(2) (2) The General Medical Council will select 2 councillors.
(3) (3) The Health and Care Professions Council will select 3 councillors.
(3) The management experts will be appointed by the Minister with responsibility for the Treasury every 5 years.
(4) There will be no limit to how long one may serve on the NHSEC.
(5) The Secretary of State for Health will appoint a Chairman.
(6) The NHSEC will qualify as a 'NHS body' under Chapter 4 of the National Health Service Act 2006.

3: Membership
(1) Each council member's per annum salary will be set by the Health Secretary and the Chancellor of the Exchequer after consultation with pay-review bodies.
(2) A new council is elected every 5 years.
(3) A motion of no confidence may be called against any council member by any healthcare regulator.
(4) If a motion of no confidence is called all healthcare regulator members are balloted.
(5) A motion of confidence may only passed if more than 50% of the electorate is in favour.
(6) If the motion of no confidence passes, the member in question is removed from their position immediately.
(a) (a) If the member removed was elected, an election to replace them will start within seven days.
(b) (b) If the member was appointed by the Health Secretary, a new member must be appointed within seven days to replace them.

4: Role of the Council
(1) The NHSEC will allocate the annual NHS budget in place of the Secretary of State.
(a) (a) The Health Secretary and Chancellor of the Exchequer may increase the NHS budget above what the NHSEC allocate if they wish.
(2) The NHSEC will be able to petition the Treasury for increased funds where need can be demonstrated.
(3) Each year the NHSEC will compile a report detailing opportunities for increasing the efficiency of resource allocation within the NHS.
(4) The NHSEC will produce a public report on the last Friday of every month which will include a breakdown of how the monthly budget was spent, how particular issues are going to be dealt with and what their plans are for the future are.
(5) The NHSEC will hold surgeries in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and each of the regions of England on a bi-monthly basis.
(6) The council will be accountable to the Commons select committee for Health.

5: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on 1st April 2017.
(3) This Act may be cited as the NHS Council Act 2016.

Notes
The government sees the depoliticisation of the minuteau of NHS management as essential to the ongoing success of our health service. We consider this to a great bipartisan cause where all parties can look to the greater good of our nation's health.

The key decisions that our NHS will have to make in the coming weeks, months and years should be made by healthcare professionals and management experts, not politicians. Therefore, we believe a ‘NHS Council’ should be set up to improve the running of our healthcare service. The council’s key role will be to ensure the NHS budget is well spent and that the service runs as efficiently possible. To make sure the public and the Government are well informed about the running of the healthcare service, the council will compile a monthly report detailing a variety of information on the NHS. Ideally the council would meet twice every week but it may be more or less depending on the situation.

The total cost for the council member’s wages will be £1.4m per year but the savings made due to an increase in efficiency will vastly outweigh this and the additional costs associated with administration. The government have put forward legislation that eliminates certain costs that we see as unnecessary within the NHS which further eliminate the cost of this bill.

For the second reading, we have taken on members' advice and altered the bill so that council members are elected through healthcare regulators instead of trade unions.

Changes for the second reading:
Spoiler:
Show

- Instead of trade unions, healthcare regulators will choose the council members.
- Set-up date has been extended
- Wording, definitons and clauses adjusted.

Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye
wolfmoon88
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
Aye
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ayes to the right: 30
Noes to the left: 5
Abstentions: 15

The Ayes have it! The Ayes have it! Unlock!

Turnout: 100%
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (160)
17.8%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (77)
8.57%
No I am happy with my course choice (534)
59.4%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (128)
14.24%

Watched Threads