Muslims - how do you cope with all the contradictions?

Watch
HenryHill
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A recent post in ISoc
"No disaster strikes except by permission of Allah"

Several recent posts in ISoc
"May Allah punish those who bomb the Muslim children in Syria"

The bombings must be by the will and by permission of Allah, so condemning and opposing them is going against the will of Allah.

Discuss.

(I expect this thread to be reported and deleted because Muslims do not like dealing with difficult questions)
HenryHill
Rep:
?
It looks like the answer is "by ignoring them".
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you have silenced them with your stunning rhetoric
LV Her Husband
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The same way all religious people cope with the contradictions in their religious doctrines; they ignore them or attempt to rationalise them away in an inevitably unconvincing manner.
Lavaridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's the problem of evil and suffering as encountered by all religions which propose a simultaneously omnipotent and omnibenevolent being. The Christian answer would be that God permits people to exercise their own free will, even if that goes against what he wants. Those people can still be punished later.
HenryHill
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lavaridge)
It's the problem of evil and suffering as encountered by all religions which propose a simultaneously omnipotent and omnibenevolent being. The Christian answer would be that God permits people to exercise their own free will, even if that goes against what he wants. Those people can still be punished later.
This isn't really the problem of evil, it is simpler than that. It is just a contradiction. If you claim that God causes every event, and God's actions are perfect, you can't then condemn his actions.

It's the same thing as this.
Name:  15203318_1299879486753200_3016605460948506163_n.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  48.7 KB
HenryHill
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
you have silenced them with your stunning rhetoric
Yes, I do believe I have.
Lavaridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HenryHill)
This isn't really the problem of evil, it is simpler than that. It is just a contradiction. If you claim that God causes every event, and God's actions are perfect, you can't then condemn his actions.
Your quote said permits (or by permission), not causes. I agree with you in general, I'm an atheist and I believe the problem of suffering really is a contradiction, especially because of the hugely unequal distribution of suffering in the world.
vampiratevas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by HenryHill)
A recent post in ISoc
"No disaster strikes except by permission of Allah"

Several recent posts in ISoc
"May Allah punish those who bomb the Muslim children in Syria"

The bombings must be by the will and by permission of Allah, so condemning and opposing them is going against the will of Allah.

Discuss.

(I expect this thread to be reported and deleted because Muslims do not like dealing with difficult questions)
Everything happens with the permission of Allah ﷻ, whether it's good or bad, and whenever a disaster strikes a muslim then he gets rewarded for it either here or after death.

@ *"May Allah punish those who bomb the Muslim children in Syria"*

Bombing children in Syria ALSO happened by the permission of Allah, he allowed it to happen.

@"so condemning and opposing them is going against the will of Allah."

No you are wrong, the supplication was against the people who "bomb" Syrian children. Allah allowed it to happen because he wants to punish the oppressor & rewards the oppressed. Whenever a person supplicate/invoke to Allah he gets rewarded for it.

The supplication says "May Allah punish those who bomb the Muslim children in Syria";

The person who made this supplication wants the "oppressors" who are bombing Syria to be punished.

Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: “Beware of the supplication of the oppressed, even if he is an unbeliever (non Muslim), for there is no barrier between it and Allah.”
Graded as authentic by As-suyuti.

Allah listens to the supplication of the oppressed whether they supplicate to him or cry in heart due to pain. He will punish the oppressor here if he wills or in the hereafter.

Everything happens with the permission of Allah ﷻ whether it's good or bad, just to reward us or punish us here in this world or in the hereafter.
Proud_Pakistani
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You need to study the sixth article of Islamic faith which deals with Allah's predestination and decree to understand the concept of predestination in Islam. Here's an excerpt:
''In Islamic doctrine every human act both in material and spiritual life is predestined, yet it is incorrect to believe the action of fate is blind, arbitrary, and relentless. Without denying divine interference in human affairs, human liberty is kept intact. It does not discount the principle of man’s moral freedom and responsibility. All is known, but freedom is also granted.
Man is not a helpless creature borne along by destiny. Rather, each person is responsible for his acts. Lethargic nations and individuals indolent to ordinary affairs of life are to blame themselves, not God. Man is bound to obey the moral law; and he will receive merited punishment or reward as he violates or observes that law. However, if such is so, man must have within his power the ability to break or keep the law.''
Therefore, a bomber is acting on his own free will and, since killing innocent people is prohibited in Islam, we strongly condemn all such actions. Hope you got your answer. And please, the next time you decide to defame someone's beliefs, make sure you have got your facts straight.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by vampiratevas)
. He will punish the oppressor here if he wills or in the hereafter.
guys who go round cutting peoples' heads off are oppressors, yeah ?
vampiratevas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
guys who go round cutting peoples' heads off are oppressors, yeah ?
Yes they are oppressors. I hope they suffer in this life and in the hereafter.
Chakede
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Proud_Pakistani)
Therefore, a bomber is acting on his own free will and, since killing innocent people is prohibited in Islam, we strongly condemn all such actions. Hope you got your answer. And please, the next time you decide to defame someone's beliefs, make sure you have got your facts straight.
who within the current islamic world determines who is or is not 'innocent' out of interest - because from an independant point of view, mohammed could have been seen to killed a lot of people, inc non combatants, in his quest to take control of land. and jihadists, mujahadeens etc have killed thousdands muslim and non muslim alike during their 'causes'
jsut are IS are doing now. this oncept seems abritrary depending on what your political goals and aims are, you can make anyone out to be 'innocent or not so' this can be applied to any political movement btw , like communist seperatists, far right extremists, etc etc
HenryHill
Rep:
?
(Original post by Proud_Pakistani)
You need to study the sixth article of Islamic faith which deals with Allah's predestination and decree to understand the concept of predestination in Islam. Here's an excerpt:
''In Islamic doctrine every human act both in material and spiritual life is predestined, yet it is incorrect to believe the action of fate is blind, arbitrary, and relentless. Without denying divine interference in human affairs, human liberty is kept intact. It does not discount the principle of man’s moral freedom and responsibility. All is known, but freedom is also granted.
Man is not a helpless creature borne along by destiny. Rather, each person is responsible for his acts. Lethargic nations and individuals indolent to ordinary affairs of life are to blame themselves, not God. Man is bound to obey the moral law; and he will receive merited punishment or reward as he violates or observes that law. However, if such is so, man must have within his power the ability to break or keep the law.''
I think you misunderstand the issue. If you thank Allah for the good things, you must also curse him for the bad. I have never heard of a Muslim saying "Damn Allah for the death of my child", but I have heard countless "Praise Allah for saving my child".

Sounds like hypocrisy and double standards to me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (17)
13.49%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (30)
23.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (55)
43.65%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (20)
15.87%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
3.17%

Watched Threads