The Student Room Group

Saudi woman pictured not wearing hijab faces calls for her execution

A woman in Saudi Arabia pictured without a hijab is facing calls for her execution.
Some social media users reacted with outrage after the emergence of the image taken in capital city Riyadh, with one man calling for the state to “kill her and throw her corpse to the dogs”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-woman-no-hijab-execution-abaya-muslim-a7450096.html

Spoiler warning some apparently find this image so offensive she should be killed over it.

Spoiler

Of course we all know it's a 'choice' so wonder if the usual suspects will be starting a petition to voice their 'outrage' (or as I suspect they will remain VERY quite over this)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Radicalathiest
A woman in Saudi Arabia pictured without a hijab is facing calls for her execution.
Some social media users reacted with outrage after the emergence of the image taken in capital city Riyadh, with one man calling for the state to “kill her and throw her corpse to the dogs”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudi-arabia-woman-no-hijab-execution-abaya-muslim-a7450096.html

Spoiler warning some apparently find this image so offensive she should be killed over it.

Spoiler

Of course we all know it's a 'choice' so wonder if the usual suspects will be starting a petition to voice their 'outrage' (or as I suspect they will remain VERY quite over this)

What do you expect from an extremist country?
Original post by offhegoes
What do you expect from an extremist country?

I know right. They set a low bar but Jesus Christ...
Reply 3
I know right. They set a low bar but Jesus Christ...

Perhaps we should be asking why our newspapers were outraged at Corbyn's praise of Castro yet pretty much silent at Cameron's praise of Abdullah bin Abdulaziz.

Spoiler

Its really mortifying what some people think in such a growing society. I understand that traditions are traditions but as we separate our assosiation to murder someone because of such "action", does that really make us moral beings? This in my opinion violates the human rights of minorities who do not get a say to these sorts of choices. I believe its wrong, but what do you think?
And then there's privileged Muslims living in western countries who still claim that the hijab etc are "choices" and deny it's oppression...k den.
Original post by Marcus_:D
Its really mortifying what some people think in such a growing society. I understand that traditions are traditions but as we separate our assosiation to murder someone because of such "action", does that really make us moral beings? This in my opinion violates the human rights of minorities who do not get a say to these sorts of choices. I believe its wrong, but what do you think?

I'm a believer in Universal human rights and I don't think religion or culture should be used as an excuse to ignore or bypass this.

but minorities don't get 'special' human rights because they are a minority as this does not result in equality

and we have to look at the action does dressing how you want really deserve the call for being murdered?
I'm a believer in Universal human rights and I don't think religion or culture should be used as an excuse to ignore or bypass this.

but minorities don't get 'special' human rights because they are a minority as this does not result in equality

and we have to look at the action does dressing how you want really deserve the call for being murdered?

I dont think its our duty to punish people through execution in those circumstances. The idea of retribution seems more unjustifiable despite quotes from the bible: "eye for eye, tooth for tooth' exemplify how normal and traditional it is to punish people in such ways.

Its hard to get equality... its almost impossible quite frankly but preach for international human rights people its yours for free.
Original post by Marcus_:D
I dont think its our duty to punish people through execution in those circumstances. The idea of retribution seems more unjustifiable despite quotes from the bible: "eye for eye, tooth for tooth' exemplify how normal and traditional it is to punish people in such ways.

Its hard to get equality... its almost impossible quite frankly but preach for international human rights people its yours for free.

this isn't about the bible this is about some Muslims calling for a women to be murdered for choosing how to dress

either you support universal human rights or you don't so which is it?

Spoiler

Bloody ridiculous!:angry:
Perhaps we should be asking why our newspapers were outraged at Corbyn's praise of Castro yet pretty much silent at Cameron's praise of Abdullah bin Abdulaziz.

But one is our ally... So they can't be bad! :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by Willy Pete
Extremists, being friendly as ever.

I corrected it for you.
Reply 12
this isn't about the bible this is about some extremists calling for a women to be murdered for choosing how to dress

either you support universal human rights or you don't so which is it?

I corrected it for you.
I corrected it for you.

As I said 'some Muslims'
Reply 14
As I said 'some Muslims'

It's the connotations I dislike, like calling the KKK 'some Christians' or Thomas Mair 'a Brexiteer'. Strictly speaking true but bound to unfairly seem to tarnish the name of many for the actions of a tiny minority.
I corrected it for you..."Extremists"

Hello there? Could you define what's "True Islam" and what's "Extreme Islam" and what beliefs/views they entail?

Is this such a part of "extreme Islam"?...

https://islamqa.info/en/38622
I corrected it for you.

I was right the first time.
Reply 17
Original post by Emperor Trajan
Hello there? Could you define what's "True Islam" and what's "Extreme Islam" and what beliefs/views they entail?

I've already had this discussion with you, months ago. You stopped replying.

This is extremism, as defined by the very meaning of the word 'extremism'.
I've already had this discussion with you, months ago. You stopped replying.

I don't recall stopping replying to you, rather I recall you never managing to define what's "True Islam" and what's "Extreme Islam" and what beliefs/views they entail?

This is extremism, as defined by the very meaning of the word 'extremism'.

What makes it "extreme"? the view that homosexuals are an "abomination worthy of a violent death", is not that rare amongst the Muslim world, and is seen to be justified by Islamic scripture. Essentially such Muslims do not view such a view to be "extreme/wrong", but rather a part of what they view as "true Islam".
(edited 7 years ago)
I corrected it for you.

There was nothing incorrect about his original statement. This is a clear example of socially conservative values which are derived from religion, in this case Islam.

At least call it "Islamic extremism".

Quick Reply

Latest