faustygold
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have been given this topic to write 3000 words on but honestly, I just can not find the right way to start and it scares the life out of me. '' A reflective account on your development as a mental health student nurse''. SOS please
deviant182
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by faustygold)
I have been given this topic to write 3000 words on but honestly, I just can not find the right way to start and it scares the life out of me. '' A reflective account on your development as a mental health student nurse''. SOS please
Use gibbs model of reflection to help structure your essay. .the rest is your personal account of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is this a Inter-professional Education/Practice module? If so, the reflective account is usually based on Kolb, D.A. (1984) Experiential Learning cycle, usually just known as Kolb's Cycle (though as deviant182 mentions above, it could also be Gibb's model) Kolb's cycle has four stages: Concrete Experience, Reflective Observation, Abstract Conceptualisation and Active Experimentation.

Have you heard of this, or been given resources about it?
PaediatricStN
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That surely cannot be all the brief they have given you? Obviously, I cannot write your essay for you but I must confess it is challenging to effectively advise you with such little information about what is expected of you.

I would refer to the NMC Code, Standards of Competence and the NHS Knowledge and Skills Framework. Use a reflective model of your choosing, be it Gibbs (Most popular), Johns or another model. Rather than trying to summarise your whole 3 years in one essay, choose specific areas of your practice that have developed as a result of a particular practice placement experience and link that back to the documents listed above.

You may also wish to briefly discuss challenges you may face as a qualified nurse, and how you may conquer those.

Marks for reflective essays (Or any academic work for that matter) in third year are gained/lost not in the breadth of information included, but the depth to which specifics are analysed. Therefore it is wise to choose certain elements of your practice but look at these at great length.
faustygold
Rep:
?
(Original post by PaediatricStN)
That surely cannot be all the brief they have given you? Obviously, I cannot write your essay for you but I must confess it is challenging to effectively advise you with such little information about what is expected of you.

I would refer to the NMC Code, Standards of Competence and the NHS Knowledge and Skills Framework. Use a reflective model of your choosing, be it Gibbs (Most popular), Johns or another model. Rather than trying to summarise your whole 3 years in one essay, choose specific areas of your practice that have developed as a result of a particular practice placement experience and link that back to the documents listed above.

You may also wish to briefly discuss challenges you may face as a qualified nurse, and how you may conquer those.

Marks for reflective essays (Or any academic work for that matter) in third year are gained/lost not in the breadth of information included, but the depth to which specifics are analysed. Therefore it is wise to choose certain elements of your practice but look at these at great length.

Hi, I'm in my first year. Your above suggestion has been very helpful.
Here is the complete information''
Write a reflective account of your development as a mental health student nurse and relate this back to your own analysis of one or more of the theories studied on the module''.
faustygold
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
Is this a Inter-professional Education/Practice module? If so, the reflective account is usually based on Kolb, D.A. (1984) Experiential Learning cycle, usually just known as Kolb's Cycle (though as deviant182 mentions above, it could also be Gibb's model) Kolb's cycle has four stages: Concrete Experience, Reflective Observation, Abstract Conceptualisation and Active Experimentation.

Have you heard of this, or been given resources about it?

Hi, It's not inter-professional Education/Practice.
It's Understanding The Context Of Mental Health Care Delivery.
PaediatricStN
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm in my first year. Your above suggestion has been very helpful.
Here is the complete information''
Write a reflective account of your development as a mental health student nurse and relate this back to your own analysis of one or more of the theories studied on the module''.
Sorry, I made an assumption you were in third year as that is typically when reflective essays like on development like this are usually set. It seems strange they are setting you this in first year when you have had such little time to develop.

So if you have been asked to relate your essay to theories that you have studied then focus on doing that, perhaps don't worry so much about mentioning the knowledge and skills framework.

You have three thousand words so you could probably choose two areas of development and two connecting theories.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (355)
56.08%
I don't have everything I need (278)
43.92%

Watched Threads