Turn on thread page Beta

What car should i get? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Well nothing ever going to happen if you sit there saying i'll stop if he does. And WHY BOTHER? jesus christ to stop your eventual (or current) children from breathing in Sulphur compounds since they're going to inherit the earth from you. To stop the sea levels from rising?
    This problem aint gonna be any different from us for the next generation. Its gonna be pretty much the same. This whole greenhouse affect is gonna take many many many years. centuries. New technologies are coming up all the time to make cleaner fuel. before the earth turns into a microwave there are gonna be cars that run on water (not literaly u understand) and the fear of sea-levels rising will be forgotten; much like the millenium bug or the idea that with one phone call the USA and Russia could wipe out the earth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    i bet you go through red lights too :mad:

(i cycle or walk short distances <2 miles or take the bus when i dont have lots to carry but other times, i make the most of my new DRIVING LICENCE )
    when did you pass your test (congrats btw )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rex Mundi)
    This problem aint gonna be any different from us for the next generation. Its gonna be pretty much the same. This whole greenhouse affect is gonna take many many many years. centuries. New technologies are coming up all the time to make cleaner fuel. before the earth turns into a microwave there are gonna be cars that run on water (not literaly u understand) and the fear of sea-levels rising will be forgotten; much like the millenium bug or the idea that with one phone call the USA and Russia could wipe out the earth.
    Mmmmm that sounds like a good idea ignore the problem in the hope that technology will save us when you could actually go part of the way to solving the problem by not emitting (not you personally) so many greenhouse gases

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    when did you pass your test (congrats btw )
    danke, the test was on friday, and started at 11:41

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    danke, the test was on friday, and started at 11:41
    remember: dont speed / drink and drive

-> i never got a speeding ticket (touch wood )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Mmmmm that sounds like a good idea ignore the problem in the hope that technology will save us when you could actually go part of the way to solving the problem by not emitting (not you personally) so many greenhouse gases
    It's not hope mate, its TRUE.

500 years ago everyone thought the world was flat. Today we laugh at them

In 500 years from now they will laugh at us worrying about the greenhouse effect.

Belive u me, if there was any way that we could simply stop the problem in my generation; stop all bad gases etc being emitted. Then i would be right with u fighting now. But the truth is no number of people can ever stop the drivers; the way we'll stop them polluting the atmosphere is to create a car. A brand new generation of car. That doesn't pollute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kraslan)
    im sorry, but im not from Britain. How do u calculate insurance? How much do you reckon the insurance would be for a big car like a Land Rover Discovery (used)?
    lucky git....i can't even afford a bycicle(sp)...... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Only rich idiots would buy their offspring a car worth £20K just after passing their test. Having said that the originator does give their location as Chelsea so that probably tells us all that we need to know.

The insurance on anything half decent would be astronomical for a new driver, you could buy a car worth £20K and end up spending £5K p/a to insure yourself on it however money seems not to be an object.

Set a limit of 5K and do not get anything that can do 0-60 faster than 10 seconds.

Young motorists and powerful cars are a recipie for disaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    lucky git....i can't even afford a bycicle(sp)...... :mad:
    lol - nice spelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Only rich idiots would buy their offspring a car worth £20K just after passing their test. Having said that the originator does give their location as Chelsea so that probably tells us all that we need to know.

The insurance on anything half decent would be astronomical for a new driver, you could buy a car worth £20K and end up spending £5K p/a to insure yourself on it however money seems not to be an object.

Set a limit of 5K and do not get anything that can do 0-60 faster than 10 seconds.

Young motorists and powerful cars are a recipie for disaster.
    Agreed and young males between 18 and 25 are the most likely people to be in/die in a road accident

ReputationRep:
    After going to a private school I know of several people that were given powerful cars shortly after they passed their test.

Most of them ended up either crashing them or in trouble with the police for speeding / racing / drink driving. On one occasion five of my best friends at the time were lucky to escape with their lives from a nasty accident in wet weather. The young, inexperienced driver clearly misjudged a sharp corner and if anything had been coming the other way there would almost certainly have been fatalities.

It may seem cool to get a 2 litre B.M.W. on the day that you pass your driving test but my advice is wait until you learn to handle a smaller car before moving up in the power / prestige stakes.

Having said that I doubt that the person who started this thread has any convern over safety issues and just wants to pose in their 20K car.

This is coming from someone (me) who is 23, who passed his test at 17 and has had experience driving everything from a £200 banger to a 120K Aston Martin.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.