The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

Should I do a UAL Foundation year if my current college offers it?

I am considering CSM and LCF as possible BA Fashion Design options, but they're obviously both very competitive and I'm doing A-Levels (fine art, media, drama) right now so I'll be at a disadvantage compared to national diploma students.

I would only just be able to scrape living in London for the degree as it is, but everyone advises A-Level students in particular to go for the foundation course to improve their chances, and I thought that an extra year in London would be too much until I realised that my college actually offers a UAL-accredited foundation year course. That means I'd continue studying at my college for another year on the foundation and try and progress more into the fashion design/textiles routes (since I can't do much of that in fine art right now), and then when it comes to applying, I'm guaranteed an interview at my chosen UAL campus.

The thing is, as I'm so concerned about money, I'm worried about the price of tuition fees and accomodation increasing in the extra year I spend at college. I know fees are now £9,250 and grants only cover up to £9,000, and I doubt that cost is going to stay at £9,250 over the next two years. I've researched different possible housing/transport options and worked out living costs (might be jumping the gun a little as I'm only at AS Level, but it's better to be prepared) and it'd be difficult to live in London but I could manage as long as the prices don't increase too much. My family isn't loaded, I fully intend to get another job in addition to my current one (marketing manager), and my parents have said that they won't be funding anything should I choose UAL unless it's an extreme emergency.

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, should I plan to progress to the foundation course at my college? It seems like a ideal option given that I wouldn't have to do it at CSM and spend even more of my non-existent money, and I already have one friend planning to do so for animation so I wouldn't be alone. I think I probably will but maybe I'm missing something major or maybe I'm just looking for some reassurance. Anything helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending