The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Any questions??

Hello everyone...

My name is Katherine and I am a current student studying Children's Nursing at Bucks. If you have any questions do feel free to ask away.

So here is some information that may answer any questions that you currently have:
- You will be on placement for half of the year, the programme is 50% theory and 50% practical.
- You can choose to have your home base as London which includes hospitals such as West Middlesex, Hillingdon, Charing Cross and more, or you can pick Thames Valley which includes Stoke Mandeville and High Wycombe hospitals.
- With Children's Nursing you will have 10 weeks on a Children's ward, 4 weeks in a Learning Disability unit and a 4 week Adult insight placement.
- There is accommodation in Uxbridge and High Wycombe, as well as Hospital accommodation.
- Nursoc is the new Nursing Society that got set up last year and is an active society for Nursing students to feel a part of the Students Union, and we run lots of different events, such as movie nights, quizzes, theatre trips and so much more!
- If you are a UK or EU student starting in February 2017 then you will be entitled to have your tuition fees paid in full by the NHS.
- Your lecturers and personal tutors are there to support you with any issues or concerns that you have around the course, so do use them as much as you need to.

Any further questions feel free to ask :smile:
Hello. :smile: I'll be starting the Adult Nursing degree in February and was wondering if you know what the insight placements for my field will be?
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Reply 2
Original post by vanessa_nicole
Hello. :smile: I'll be starting the Adult Nursing degree in February and was wondering if you know what the insight placements for my field will be?

Hi Nicole,

With the Adult Nursing course, the placements that you will have in first year are: an adult placement on a hospital ward, an alternative adult placement, that could be with elderly patients, and also a learning disability placement, which could be in an adult day centre. Even though I am child field, my learning disability placement was an adult day centre, and it was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed it! You may be placed in a special needs school where you will work with teenagers, however it is more than likely that you will be placed with adults.

Also, please feel free to attend the Open Day that is happening on 7th January where you come and chat to our nursing team, and find out more about this course.

Katherine
Original post by Katherine28
Hi Nicole,

With the Adult Nursing course, the placements that you will have in first year are: an adult placement on a hospital ward, an alternative adult placement, that could be with elderly patients, and also a learning disability placement, which could be in an adult day centre. Even though I am child field, my learning disability placement was an adult day centre, and it was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed it! You may be placed in a special needs school where you will work with teenagers, however it is more than likely that you will be placed with adults.

Also, please feel free to attend the Open Day that is happening on 7th January where you come and chat to our nursing team, and find out more about this course.

Katherine

Thank you for letting me know. So it is unlikely that I will have a Child placement?
Reply 4
Original post by vanessa_nicole
Thank you for letting me know. So it is unlikely that I will have a Child placement?

Hi,

There is a possibility that you may be placed in a Children's day centre or school, but this would only be for your Learning Disability placement. You do not have a specific child placement.

I hope this helps!
Katherine
Reply 5
HI,

I had my interview at Bucks on November 30, 2016 for adult nursing but failed the English bur will be able to retake it. Can someone that has done the English test please give me some tips and advise on how to approach the test.
Reply 6
Original post by yuukie
HI,

I had my interview at Bucks on November 30, 2016 for adult nursing but failed the English bur will be able to retake it. Can someone that has done the English test please give me some tips and advise on how to approach the test.

Hi,

Some top tips for the English test would be to make that you're yourself. The markers are looking at your personality, so the way that you would react in certain situations and what you would do. Also make sure that your English is all correct, and that your spelling is correct. Also make sure that your sentences flow and that everything that you're saying makes sense. This is probably the best advice I can give you, so I hope that this helps.

Katherine
Reply 7
Hi,

I met my conditional offer, and got out i got a place for Adult nursing on September 2017. I have a few questions i would like to ask because i haven't been in education since 2014 so I'm abit scared.

What are the essays like?

Do you get help with your essay writing?

Do you do all your assignments for first 6 months then go to placement for the next 6month?

Do you get assignments whilst on placement, if so how many?

Do you get is help available with the maths?

What's the pass mark for maths and assignments?

How man exams do you do each year?

I would like to build my confidence so I've applied for a ambassador role, do you think this will help?

Are the lectures and teacher supportive?

How many people are in class?

What do find hard/challenging at university and placement?

For summer how long do you get off? Do you have an assignment to complete before you go on holiday?

How do you balance being an ambassador and studying?

Sorry for all the 21 questions I'm so nervous.
Original post by yuukie
Hi,

I met my conditional offer, and got out i got a place for Adult nursing on September 2017. I have a few questions i would like to ask because i haven't been in education since 2014 so I'm abit scared.

What are the essays like?

Do you get help with your essay writing?

Do you do all your assignments for first 6 months then go to placement for the next 6month?

Do you get assignments whilst on placement, if so how many?

Do you get is help available with the maths?

What's the pass mark for maths and assignments?

How man exams do you do each year?

I would like to build my confidence so I've applied for a ambassador role, do you think this will help?

Are the lectures and teacher supportive?

How many people are in class?

What do find hard/challenging at university and placement?

For summer how long do you get off? Do you have an assignment to complete before you go on holiday?

How do you balance being an ambassador and studying?

Sorry for all the 21 questions I'm so nervous.

Hi @yuukie

You will have seen our nursing student Katherine has answered your questions on the other thread you posted them to. If there's anything else we can help with just ask!

Wishing you the best of luck with your studies, and we look forward to seeing you in September!

Laura
Bucks New University Official TSR Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending