Turn on thread page Beta

Is my friend a midget? watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is 4ft 9 and we were talking about height yesterday and arguing about whether she is one or not lol, she said she might be but I thought you had to be 4ft 7? Not that it matters as her parents are only 5ft 7 and 5ft 2.

ReputationRep:
    No just very short.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who is a little taller than that. It's her genetics. She's not a midget.

i'm 4'11 and my friend keeps saying that i should register myself as disabled so i could get allowance. it's so annoying when she says that because no one else has ever called me a midget.. well, not before her anyway.
    it's just unlucky that i'm this size.

ReputationRep:
    But being a midget is more than just being short isnt it? it's dwarfism, so actually a medical condition. I dont think it would be possible to be a midget without knowing...

ReputationRep:
    Well..Being a midget is generally being short with still in proportion, whereas being a dwarf is being short and out of proportion.

She is a midget technically, because she's under 4'10. Though I don't think that term is really used anymore.

..shauny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i'm 4'11 and my friend keeps saying that i should register myself as disabled so i could get allowance. it's so annoying when she says that because no one else has ever called me a midget.. well, not before her anyway.
    and she is your friend why? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Who gives a ****, it's not like she can alter it anyway, if she is really your mate you wouldn't care if she was 4 foot for 7 foot.

ReputationRep:
    Parents' heights are very tricky. My dad is 5'5, my mum is 5'1, and I'm 5'6 and still growing (fingers tightly crossed).

ReputationRep:
    I've just spend like 15 minutes trying to answer this on google and I've got nada.

BUT if she is classed short enough to be disabled, and if I was in her position, I would totally take everything the government is willing to give me. Especially that all important disabled parking badge!

Maybe your local Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midget

The word "dwarf" has generally replaced "midget" even for proportionally short people, though the term "little person" is preferred. According to the Little People of America, dwarfism is "a medical or genetic condition that usually results in an adult height of 4'10" (147 cm) or shorter, among both men and women, although in some cases a person with a dwarfing condition may be slightly taller than that."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    why should tax-payers pay you for being small?

ReputationRep:
    There doesn't seem to be any kind of financial help or disabled parking for dwarfs:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...rt/DG_10020535

It's not a severe enough disability.

ReputationRep:
    this topic is hilarious

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of that scene in the office where David Brent is firing the guy from the warehouse and the conversation turns to dwarves and midgets ... 'What's an elf?'

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why some "little people" would be registered as disabled as some can be severly out of proportion and are litterally disabled but someone who is 4ft10 shouldn't have any problems surely? I was 4ft11 until I was 19 but I didn't fear that if I was 2 inches shorter I wouldn't be able to walk. I'm only 5ft now so I'm hardly a giant and not criticising anyone who is short.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tufts)
    why should tax-payers pay you for being small?

the person you quoted clearly doesn't think that they should either, so why ask them? It's a friend's slightly mean piss-take.

ReputationRep:
    OP your not a midget, i Know a girl from uni who is 3 foot odd and 22, she is a midget.

ReputationRep:
    And the award for Funniest Thread Title goes tooooooooooooo *drum roll*

"IS MY FRIEND A MIDGET!"

Come and accept your award, sunofnight!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they use the M word I think they just say little person .As for if you are or not ask your family. doctor .I think and please don't quote me cause I'm not certain .I think over 5 ft is. Average and under 5 feet I think it may be considered the person is a little person now in order to have dwarfism you have to have blood taken x-rays mri's and more test it's not something that people could just say you have it's something that has to be determined by a doctor

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.