ami787
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Can anybody give better ways to start an essay apart from "this essay will talk about" and better ways to provide evidence and link sentences please?
username2888406
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
You could start with a question as that will work as a hook to get your reader's attention. Think about what the essay is about, what question could it be answering. Then you could say something like the aim/purpose of this essay/research/investigation/analysis is to address this question.

As for linking sentences and paragraphs, do a google search for connectives and you will find lots to pick and choose from.
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I always start my essays with the definition of the main word/topic the essay is on. For example of the essay is on how hope is portrayed throughout the novel, i would start off with Hope is the desire for a particular thing to hapoen. It plays a pivotal role throughout the novel...

When providing evidence remember PEE
Point a simple introductory sentence for your evidence
Evidence quote from novel etc using words like 'this can be seen when' 'this is evident when' 'this is implied' etc
Google will give you examples

Explain now explain how your evidence is evidence for the point you made. So dig a little deeper and think outside the box

Link sentences through the use of connectives.
ami787
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
thank you sooo much! I've got my mocks next week and I am stressing!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.03%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.35%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
25.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.85%

Watched Threads