The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

Oscar Pistorius might be at the Olympics, he got a ban overturned and now just needs to qualify :teeth:
oooh tis gonna be interesting #excited#

Usain Bolt running 9.76 #zomg#
SuperDaz
Oscar Pistorius might be at the Olympics, he got a ban overturned and now just needs to qualify :teeth:

i really doubt hes gonna get the time, i saw a race on TV, him aganist a bunch of non disabled athletes and he got hammerd, the winner beat him by a good second!!!

erm good luck to him tho, id love to see him win gold, but yeh lol then theyd probly say it was because of his legs, they should give him like super legs with rockets and machine gunns, make him run the 100m in 2 seconds, ha blow that cheat chambers into pieces..

anyways im weird, good luck to the guy is wht im trying to say but erm hes just too slow imn afraid
Reply 303
Multi_Eventer
i really doubt hes gonna get the time, i saw a race on TV, him aganist a bunch of non disabled athletes and he got hammerd, the winner beat him by a good second!!!

erm good luck to him tho, id love to see him win gold, but yeh lol then theyd probly say it was because of his legs, they should give him like super legs with rockets and machine gunns, make him run the 100m in 2 seconds, ha blow that cheat chambers into pieces..

anyways im weird, good luck to the guy is wht im trying to say but erm hes just too slow imn afraid

Having a look at his PB's he is quite a way off the competition, be lucky to make the finals of either 100/200 or 400m. Good luck to him anyway!
Reply 304
Multi_Eventer

the race you probably saw was him running in the wet (where his blade legs can't grip as well so he was severely disadvantaged) and he got beat by Jeremy Wariner who atm is pretty much a dead cert for the Olympic gold over 400m. i reckon he'l get the time, don't think he'l get past the 1st round but its a brilliant achievemant if he gets there, fantastic for disability sport!!!!
Having looked it up, Pritorious is actually outside the B standard of all the sprint events by quite a large margin. Perhaps he won't be there after all :frown:
Reply 306
Hope Oscar Pistorius gets into the olympics, they've tested his blades and apparantly they dont give any advantage, so i hope he steps up his game and qualifies!

Should be an inspiration to all disabled athletes!
SuperDaz
Having looked it up, Pritorious is actually outside the B standard of all the sprint events by quite a large margin. Perhaps he won't be there after all :frown:

He's about .4 seconds off the B standard for the 400m. Yep it's a big margin he needs to improve on, but he's still got a couple of months and given he's just been given the incentive I'd say he's got a chance. He just needs some big races with big competition to make him go faster :smile:

But whether he is there or not, it's nice to know he or other people in similar situations can be there should they make the times.
Wow.
I wasn;t expecting another world record for a while...but I wouldn't be supirsed now if we don't get it broken again before the summer is out. Wouldn't it be great if it was broken in the Olympic final?
Reply 310
Usain Bolt is a 400m runner isn't he? Simply awesome. Now there are 3 contenders.
Reply 311
He's primarily a 200m guy, but he uses the 100 to improve his starts, lol.
m:)ckel
He's primarily a 200m guy, but he uses the 100 to improve his starts, lol.

Not any more eh?

Or maybe he'll still do the 200m and be able to take this on to break the World Record there?

Who knows?

But it brings more excitment to both events :biggrin:
Reply 313
How far can athletes go though? We hear about these records being broken but what time do you guys reckon is a limit. For instance will someone ever be able to run under 9s?
Are all of them on drugs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMRuOXdN6I

cant wait for the Olympics this year #excited#
That is amazing.
Barça
Usain Bolt is a 400m runner isn't he? Simply awesome. Now there are 3 contenders.

Like a bolt of lightning.
thunder bolt will win in Beijing. I wish I was named bolt :sad:
Sephirona
thunder bolt will win in Beijing. I wish I was named bolt :sad:

Usain he'll win in Beijing? :rolleyes:

Probably a good call right now innit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest