The Student Room Group

Athletics

Scroll to see replies

his mum's a fruit loop. nice to see parent's showing such an interest though i suppose:rolleyes:
^ bwhahaha...she's an ex hurdler..so she lurrves her athletics
Reply 142
Speederson
I fell asleep for the ajax game , dutch football is incredibly boring!

I know, it really is! I'm amazed I always manage to stay awake when I watch it. :eek:

Dark and Lovely
Aaaw i really wanted Andrew Howe to get gold in the long jump but the idiot jinxed himself by celebrating too early...i was lmao@his mum's reaction.

He's fyyne though.

;yes; :love: And his mum's great too!

The long jump final was brilliant (it would have been better with Tomlinson and/or Rutherford in there :rolleyes:), especially the last jumps!

It's nice that Gay got the double... I'm happy for him, honest! :p: It'll be Powell's and Bolt's year next year, so I don't mind. :biggrin:

Unlucky for Turner not qualifying for the hurdles final... and he was only a few hundredths of a second out. And Danvers-Smith was last. :frown: Farah reached the 5000m final though. :smile:
I was gutted when i realised i was gona miss tonights action (because i'm goin out), but then when i had a look at whats on;

Friday 31 August

0000 W 20 Kilometres Race Walk Final
0130 M Javelin Throw Qualification
0200 M 100 Metres Decathlon
0210 W High Jump Qualification
0300 M Long Jump Decathlon
0300 M Javelin Throw Qualification
0500 M Shot Put Decathlon

I couldn't care less:smile:
She's been accused by various athletics bodies of a naivity and forgetfulness, and yes, not of being a drugs cheat. She hasn't tested positive afterall. Whether she has been deliberately/consciously naive and forgetful, i guess we'll never know. Katherine Merry has described 'Christine's' behaviour as the aforementioned, doing so on BBC coverage of Osaka.

If someone is going to move locations, she has mobile technology with her, people can and do keep in touch this way. MOBILE, MOBILE technology - enables a certain flexibility. She may be given short notice, people do move locations, but people have technologies on them, telling x, y and z that location on day x will be this, location on day y will be that, et cetera...there's very little excuses. Mismanagement, and it could be a deliberate construed mismanagement, COULD BE. I also struggle to believe 'Christine' doesn't have some kind of management team back-up, providing reminders and alerts as to when important events in her profession (yes, athletics, yes drugs-testing) pop up. Don't go telling me that she's all alone at her elite level, with no one supporting, reminding her etc....

My point regarding referring to the athlete simply as 'Christine' - it's all jumping on the bandwagon stuff, largely from people who are only now coming to engage themselves with athletics, because success, in the form of a World Champs gold medal, has been achieved. Isn't this just a tad gloryhunting and artificial? Do as they please, but these aren't athletics fans proper. They probably still think Chambers is racing.

:rolleyes:
white_haired_wizard
She's been accused by various athletics bodies of a naivity and forgetfulness, and yes, not of being a drugs cheat. She hasn't tested positive afterall. Whether she has been deliberately/consciously naive and forgetful, i guess we'll never know. Katherine Merry has described 'Christine's' behaviour as the aforementioned, doing so on BBC coverage of Osaka.

If someone is going to move locations, she has mobile technology with her, people can and do keep in touch this way. MOBILE, MOBILE technology - enables a certain flexibility. She may be given short notice, people do move locations, but people have technologies on them, telling x, y and z that location on day x will be this, location on day y will be that, et cetera...there's very little excuses. Mismanagement, and it could be a deliberate construed mismanagement, COULD BE. I also struggle to believe 'Christine' doesn't have some kind of management team back-up, providing reminders and alerts as to when important events in her profession (yes, athletics, yes drugs-testing) pop up. Don't go telling me that she's all alone at her elite level, with no one supporting, reminding her etc....

The trouble is with drugs tests, you don't know when they are going to happen. The people just turn up. She has said that she didn't even know people turned up to test her until a week after it had happened for one of her missed tests.

I read a comment from Darren Campbell earlier say something along the lines of how poorly the way whole system of the testing works was explained to atheltes when it first intorduced. There is also much more that might be of interest to you in the same article...can't remember where it was now though...perhaps the BBC? Or in the Times?

My point regarding referring to the athlete simply as 'Christine' - it's all jumping on the bandwagon stuff, largely from people who are only now coming to engage themselves with athletics, because success, in the form of a World Champs gold medal, has been achieved. Isn't this just a tad gloryhunting and artificial? Do as they please, but these aren't athletics fans proper. They probably still think Chambers is racing.
:rolleyes:
It certainly doesn't sound like that in this thread though. Most people who have posted in here have clearly demonstrated a good knowledge of athletics. Maybe not in their threads congratualting the 400m girls - but there was little need for it there. But it is evident for most of the regular posters in their other threads.
Speederson
I was gutted when i realised i was gona miss tonights action (because i'm goin out), but then when i had a look at whats on;

Friday 31 August

0000 W 20 Kilometres Race Walk Final
0130 M Javelin Throw Qualification
0200 M 100 Metres Decathlon
0210 W High Jump Qualification
0300 M Long Jump Decathlon
0300 M Javelin Throw Qualification
0500 M Shot Put Decathlon

I couldn't care less:smile:

:s Not much of interest there really. Nothing major. Usually like the decathlon, but not followed it much for the last couple of years. I think most of the names I knew have probably retired now....they were all getting on a bit :frown:

But on the status of the 20Km Walk - isn't there actually a British woman in that race this time around? Must be one of the first times ever I've know a British entry in a walk at the worlds for Olympic games....
i've heard and read that there is a (very short, naturally) notice period given to athletes, and they have to give their whereabouts for that specific window of time. I don't believe it's a case of people 'just turning up'. In this age of technology, with communication as it is, i truly find it hard to fathom 3 drugs tests not materializing.
I was just looking at Andrew Howe's stats-the hot silver long jump medalist. The guy is amazing :love:; he could compete in the 110 hurdles, 100m, 200m, 400m, high jump, triple jump aswell as his main event at world levels, his times are that good. He'd be a serious contender for the pentathlon..if he was decent at shotputting.
white_haired_wizard
i've heard and read that there is a (very short, naturally) notice period given to athletes, and they have to give their whereabouts for that specific window of time. I don't believe it's a case of people 'just turning up'. In this age of technology, with communication as it is, i truly find it hard to fathom 3 drugs tests not materializing.

No, they do just turned up. You have to provide then with an hour a day, every day every week and they could turn up at any of those times, or none of them. You don't know till they are there.

You tell them in advance too (not sure how far in advance, whther it's a week or a month at a time or what??).

But even for at least one of Christiens missed tests, she had put down she would be at her usual place for training on the day, but didn't know there was going to be an event on at the track that day until she turned up for training, so at the alst minute went off to another track to train, simply forgetting that she had put down she was going to be at that first track at some point that day. This is the missed test she didn't even know about until a week later.

Also, I think I read in the same place that with one of her missed tests she was tested about a week before and week after and was totally clean. Some, think it was Darren Campbell who comment on it, said at that missed test she would have been clean as there is no way in a week you can be get stuff totally out of your system as the tests are so good these days.
Reply 150
Right, I just checked the UKA Anti-Doping Rules to make sure and it says that 'in most cases, testing shall be carried out without notice to the athlete'. But as far as I know, this is pretty much always the case. Also, athletes have to tell the IAAF where they'll be one hour, five days out of seven each week, every three months. I just thought I'd clear that up. :smile: And I agree with what Darren Campbell said btw.

Roger Kirk
:s Not much of interest there really. Nothing major. Usually like the decathlon, but not followed it much for the last couple of years. I think most of the names I knew have probably retired now....they were all getting on a bit :frown:

But on the status of the 20Km Walk - isn't there actually a British woman in that race this time around? Must be one of the first times ever I've know a British entry in a walk at the worlds for Olympic games....

It's a girl called Johanna Jackson, but I have no idea who she is. :redface:

The BBC don't have any coverage in the early hours, so it doesn't matter for me! :p: I will be following the decathlon, although I'd be more interested in it if Dean Macey was competing. :frown:
Dark and Lovely
I was just looking at Andrew Howe's stats-the hot silver long jump medalist. The guy is amazing :love:; he could compete in the 110 hurdles, 100m, 200m, 400m, high jump, triple jump aswell as his main event at world levels, his times are that good. He'd be a serious contender for the pentathlon..if he was decent at shotputting.

He really is an amazing athlete. He was world champion over 200m at Junior level.
As an alternative to Long Jumping, he could focus on 100m, 200m or 400m and still be at a world class level.

As far a Christine ohuruogu goes. I really admire her determination and commitment over the past year to keep herself in shape and to stay committed to her training, when it would have been so easy to just give up. i heard on the BBC the other day she got herself in £25,000 in debt just from having to train over the past year alone.
To be honest, i dont know much about how the drugs testing system work's so i dont think its my place to speculate whether or not i think she's a drug's cheat or not. However, her come-back has been excellent to say the least so i'm just proud to have such a good athlete representing our country.
Allyson Felix runs an amazing 200m, wins by a mile :eek:
Some very impressive runs today, Felix, Wariner and Xiang
Allyson Felix beautiful name beautiful race beautiful girl :love:
Reply 155
My god, how fast was Felix!?! :eek: Well done to her and everything, but another American beats a Jamaican to gold... again! :hmpf: I guess there's always the relays. ;yes; (Which the Americans will probably go and win too. :rolleyes: :p:)

Wariner was amazing as always... I'll give it a year-and-a-half, max, before he beats Johnson's world record. And congrats to Xiang, but unlucky for Clay having to pull out of the decathlon. Plus, I hope Rimmer has learnt his lesson. :smile:

And I just realised I'm working tomorrow. :mad: I'm going to miss the 4x100s and the end of the decathlon. :frown:
Bronze, decent result tbh

Very disappointed with Jamaica, terrible 1st changeover cost them
Felix got another gold :biggrin:

I cant believe Lewis Francis almost held off Asafa Powel he must have run under 10 secs...maybe lol

And how fast was veronica campbell if the relay was 101 meters instead of 100 she would have won!
Still cant believe the Jamaican men lost and still broke the national record and i officially hate the stupid american officials who deprived us of seeing Powell vs Gay round 2 :mad:
USA and Jamaica both had some terrible changeovers but still ran amazing times, the world record would have been under threat if they could have got 3 decent changeovers.

Britain ran well for bronze but guess are lacking on basic speed.
Reply 159
The worst case scenario happened today then. :rolleyes: Damn, USA! :p: (Although I'm sort of half American... :s-smilie:) Three golds for Gay. ;yes;

I'm not happy with Jamaica's first changeover at all. ;no; Great anchoring by Powell, though... and I'm chuffed that Team GB got bronze. :biggrin:

And congrats to Sebrle winning his first world gold! (Even if it meant another silver for Jamaica... :hmpf:) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest