bunchofrosies
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently studying A2 English Lit with Edexcel, and I have my essay question ready and I've been set to have my first draft done by January 4th, so I was going to get started very soon so I can relax as much as possible over Christmas. However my teacher hasn't given us much help on how to actually write the coursework, only that it is different from the essays we'll write in exams. I really need to be getting high band 4 (Around a B)/ band 5 in this coursework because I generally don't do as well in the exams and need to get a B at the end of this year to get into uni. So I had some questions that I was hoping people would be able to help me with:

1. How do we make the word document double spaced?
2. What should the introduction include? My teacher said it should be 200-300 words long and that's confused me a little as I'm used to writing very small introductions in the exams.
3. Is it better to write it all in one big chunk or do a paragraph a day?
4. Is it better to compare the novels in the same paragraphs or do different paragraphs for each novel.
5. How do I reach band 5? I don't understand how to be evaluative, that goes for in the exams too, we haven't been taught how to be evaluative.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bunchofrosies)
I'm currently studying A2 English Lit with Edexcel, and I have my essay question ready and I've been set to have my first draft done by January 4th, so I was going to get started very soon so I can relax as much as possible over Christmas. However my teacher hasn't given us much help on how to actually write the coursework, only that it is different from the essays we'll write in exams. I really need to be getting high band 4 (Around a B)/ band 5 in this coursework because I generally don't do as well in the exams and need to get a B at the end of this year to get into uni. So I had some questions that I was hoping people would be able to help me with:

1. How do we make the word document double spaced?
2. What should the introduction include? My teacher said it should be 200-300 words long and that's confused me a little as I'm used to writing very small introductions in the exams.
3. Is it better to write it all in one big chunk or do a paragraph a day?
4. Is it better to compare the novels in the same paragraphs or do different paragraphs for each novel.
5. How do I reach band 5? I don't understand how to be evaluative, that goes for in the exams too, we haven't been taught how to be evaluative.
1. Depending on which word edition, but it's usually next to the paint bucket. You click it and usually press the one with "2.0" which is double spaced.

2. Introduction should include what your essay will be exploring/answering/focusing (you know, like all other introductions!)

3. Do whatever you want to do. It's your essay. Feel free to do it at the pace you find appropriate to your lifestyle.

4. Always compare within the same paragraphs. Never separate paragraphs to compare! You're not in year 8!

5. Being evaluative comes down to your own skill and how you can analyse language really. No one can really teach it. You can only improve.
bunchofrosies
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much this helped a lot!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads