Couple of questions regarding to studying in the US

Watch
Tommyo.0
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi fellows !
This is gonna be a long post but I really need your help >.< Let me first introduce myself before heading to the questions. My background story is pretty much diverse, am originally from Japan yet am also half polish as well. I spent couple of years in Japan until I moved to Poland to continue my education at age 9, I believe. Once I hit 13 I was forced to move to another country, Czech Republic, where I attended an international school. At that time I spoke zero English, it was quite frustrating initially. Thankfully, I somehow managed to learn English as my 3rd language within 2 years or so. My international school was based on British Education System where I took 5 IGCSE subjects including English(first language),Math,Chemistry,Biology , and Physics. Unfortunately, I got C's for each subject except for Biology where I got a D. I do realise that I've passed 4 subjects although I know that I can do better than that. Am planning to retake the Math, as I feel pretty much confident about it, aiming for an A. At the moment I'm a college student in the UK doing BTec Level 3 Extended Diploma in Art&Design (Graphic Design/Photography) . I'm on my first year so one more year to go in order to complete the course. Finally ! Here comes my questions. I've always wanted to study abroad specifically in the US or Canada as I'd like to permanently live there one day . U.S. got many opportunities and courses compared to Canada, however, the prices for tuition fees are insanely different. Am aiming for Bachelor of Architecture program to become a Licensed Architecture (I know many or most of you will say architecture is a bad idea as its salary is much lower compared to other professions like a lawyer or engineering, but that's not what I want to talk about atm). Art became part of my life since the day I was born, never got bored of drawing nor planning to quit. I consider myself as a creative person and always been interested in diverse types of buildings so I thought choosing an architecture as my permanent career would satisfy me a lot. Now, keeping my background in your mind for a while I want you to answer couple of questions for me:
1)I heard/read that many universities in the U.S. does not provide need-based financial aid for international students (except ivy leagues). How do international students coming to study in the USA are able to afford huge amount of money for the tuition fees? We're talkin about $30k - $40k per year o.0 Are they some kind of genius and get a decent scholarship that cover their tuition?
2) Do most universities accept BTec qualifications in the US? As far as I know, I have no chance getting into Ivy League as they don't accept BTec and they're extremely competitive so I don't really 'bother' about top unis. Many of colleges in the US say they want uk students to have A level instead of BTec but I read a story about a student who got accepted to New York University with BTec in Performance Art with decent SAT score.This gave me a tiny bit of hope that I can still get into unis in the US having BTec qualification. Should I directly ask/e-mail to all the unis I want to apply to whether they accept BTec or not? Or will that sound a bit strange :d
3)If I want to pursue a degree in architecture and am more than positive that am goin to apply for it, what can I do now to impress college admissions so they'll accept me? College application is, I believe, a one huge pain in the a$$ but worth it. I know that universities are looking for ambitious students and will only accept those who are really passionate about the subject they're pursuing into. How can I distinguish myself from other applicants? I do not attend in any extra curricular activities anymore nor volunteering nor have I achieved or won international competitions during high school years. So I was wondering what can I do now so I can put something in my resume. I was thinking about making a blog or a website where I'd post all my drawings, photos, sketches etc. (including buildings in digital form and sketches, I've already done couple of 'em) so it will demonstrate that am actually passionate about art. On the other hand I feel like I'd be wasting my time, am not sure T.T. I've only got around 11-12 months until I apply for university.
4) I know SAT is a must in order to apply for universities in US. Am aiming for at least 1300 out of 1600. I'm also planning to take the SAT Math I and Japanese. IF I get a decent score in all of the exams mentioned above will I, perhaps, get a decent scholarship for international students? I haven't searched in depth yet atm but am really concerned about the money that I'll have to pay for the fees, I don't think I'll be able to handle the price. If you know any decent ways to pay for tutions fees, please share it.
5) Does it matter which uni I go to when it comes to architecture? 6) If anyone has experienced ,or your friend, studying in the USA, please share your story with me.

Thanks a lot for reading, I will appreciate every single answer that would answer one of my questions listed above. PS: I apologise for any grammar mistakes as English is not my native language, am still working on it >.<
zombiejon
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tommyo.0)
1)I heard/read that many universities in the U.S. does not provide need-based financial aid for international students (except ivy leagues). How do international students coming to study in the USA are able to afford huge amount of money for the tuition fees? We're talkin about $30k - $40k per year o.0 Are they some kind of genius and get a decent scholarship that cover their tuition?
Loans and family support.
2) Do most universities accept BTec qualifications in the US? As far as I know, I have no chance getting into Ivy League as they don't accept BTec and they're extremely competitive so I don't really 'bother' about top unis. Many of colleges in the US say they want uk students to have A level instead of BTec but I read a story about a student who got accepted to New York University with BTec in Performance Art with decent SAT score.This gave me a tiny bit of hope that I can still get into unis in the US having BTec qualification. Should I directly ask/e-mail to all the unis I want to apply to whether they accept BTec or not?
Better off asking universities directly. Most of the information they put online is for the masses, so specific cases will vary. I'm not sure about Architecture, but in the cases of most performing arts schools, your personal portfolio is much more important than grades.

3)If I want to pursue a degree in architecture and am more than positive that am goin to apply for it, what can I do now to impress college admissions so they'll accept me? College application is, I believe, a one huge pain in the a$$ but worth it. I know that universities are looking for ambitious students and will only accept those who are really passionate about the subject they're pursuing into. How can I distinguish myself from other applicants? I do not attend in any extra curricular activities anymore nor volunteering nor have I achieved or won international competitions during high school years. So I was wondering what can I do now so I can put something in my resume. I was thinking about making a blog or a website where I'd post all my drawings, photos, sketches etc. (including buildings in digital form and sketches, I've already done couple of 'em) so it will demonstrate that am actually passionate about art. On the other hand I feel like I'd be wasting my time, am not sure T.T. I've only got around 11-12 months until I apply for university.
Possible to intern at an architecture firm? Not sure what else to say here.
CaliforniaKate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1) It is very much true that universities in the US are costly and hard to obtain financial aid for, doubly so if you are an international student. It is very common to take out loans if your family cannot pay themselves. You can look into the wide range of private scholarships that are available, through organizations other than universities, some of which may be open to international students. It may take a bit of research to find these but there are many scholarship database websites out there.

2) There is no standard on something like this. It will vary from university to university. I would encourage you to contact the universities you are considering and ask them. It wouldn’t be weird at all to do so. Better to be safe than sorry.

3) You should absolutely spend the time before you apply participating in some extracurricular activities, preferably related to your major but if not, anything will be better than nothing as long as you show commitment to it and/or leadership. US universities are much more holistic in their evaluation of candidates than many other countries and want well-rounded students. They very much want to see that you have been engaged with activities outside academics. Clubs, sports, and volunteering all actually count for something. Starting a blog is a good idea but joining a formal group or several as well will help your application greatly. Beyond that, write a good personal essay. The fact that you are already certain of what you want to study is an advantage, it is not uncommon for US students to apply to universities with an undecided major or to switch majors several times while at university.

4) Good SAT and SAT Subject test scores will help you get admission but scholarships from universities themselves are scarce for international students. If you apply to schools that are significantly below what you are qualified for you will increase your chances of being offered a merit scholarship significantly but that comes with obvious disadvantages. As an American I can tell you that our university system is not good on the finance side. Many domestic students graduate with tens of thousands of dollars of debt. If you are worried about cost I would urge you to think very carefully about whether or not studying in the US would be worth it. You can always just do a study abroad in the US instead.

5) I don’t know anything about the field of architecture specifically but checking the architecture program rankings from QS, Times Higher Education, US News and World Reports, etc. will give you an idea of each program’s reputation.

6) I’m an American who’s been to university in US but I’m not quite sure what you mean by “my story”!

Hopefully some of this information will prove useful to you and good luck with your application process!
apple32
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree with what others have said. You should definitely try to get an internship with an architecture firm. Take whatever job they give you, you will gain much insight from the experience. Getting an internship will help strengthen your application. On the other hand, to become an architect you need to do well in advanced math and physics. If you can get a good grades in both, you'll at least have a chance. On the other hand, you should try to get good grades in all of your classes from now on. Even if you can draw very well and have the aptitude for designing, admissions advisor need to see that you can do well in math and physics, too.

Since tuition and costs of living vary between each state, I would look into architecture programs in a few states. You may also want to check the embassies and consulates of countries that you have citizenship in, they may have scholarships for students.

If this is something you really want to pursue, do your best and apply. If you don't get in, try the other member's suggestion: get your education in the UK but apply to study abroad (through your UK uni) in the US for a semester or year.

If I were you I would also look into other creative/design career paths just in case you find something else that interests you as much as architecture or more.

This might help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (103)
13.32%
I'm not sure (33)
4.27%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (238)
30.79%
I have already dropped out (19)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (380)
49.16%

Watched Threads