The Student Room Group

Worried about being single forever because everyone at my university is dumb

Short version: I have two questions.

1. What do I do to meet a nice, clever and funny man?

2. Will a clever man with high aspirations give me a chance despite the fact that I go to a horrible university where people party more than they study?

Long version:

I go to a crappy university despite obtaining very good A Levels. This is due to family and financial reasons.

I didn't think it would be THIS bad. My course requires BBB but that doesn't stop people with Cs getting accepted.

Every time a guy shows interest in me, I am put off by the fact that he is lacking intellectually.

Some people do actually care about their studies but because they don't have good A Levels they won't get a good job. I don't want to get into a relationship with someone who might end up working in retail for the rest of his life because his degree is useless. I

Arranged-marriages are very common in my culture. My parents are planning on getting me married when I am around 24-26. I want to be married around that age too but I do not like arranged marriages. I feel as though if I don't find someone at university then I have to have an arranged marriage :frown:

What do I do to meet a nice, clever and funny man?
Will a clever man with high aspirations give me a chance despite the fact that I go to a horrible university where people party more than they study?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous

Will a clever man with high aspirations give me a chance despite the fact that I go to a horrible university where people party more than they study?

If you believe karma is a thing then no since you won't give anyone else a chance

I suggest you either loosen up towards people at your uni or pray your parents find you someone you like
People from Russel Group Unis may think you're not very intellectual and going to end up working in retail for the rest of your life". Feel insulted? Well that's how other people feel when you call them out. Your obvious pretentious attitude is probably what's stopping you from meeting the "Nice, clever and funny man" you're looking for. Sort out your attitude and I'm sure some good karma will come your way.
Reply 3
You won't get a man with that kind of attitude. Remember you're in the same boat as them so technically you are all "smart" enough to get into that university. It doesn't even sound like you're upset of not finding a man; it sounds more of a rant that you didn't get into a RG university.

As the guy above said, lower your expectations a bit and give people a chance!
because they don't have good A Levels they won't get a good job.

Jesus Christ you're criticising other people's intellect and yet here you are thinking A levels are a seriously important factor in the job market.

1. What do I do to meet a nice, clever and funny man?

Don't say stupid things on the internet.

2. Will a clever man with high aspirations give me a chance despite the fact that I go to a horrible university where people party more than they study?

Why would a clever man be stupid enough to equate going to a horrible uni with being an undateable person?

I'm not sure that many of them are gonna be into your weird snobbish elitism though but I guess that's a bit subject to people's different preferences.
Huh, at first I thought you were just another blarty girl, complaining about the lacking quality of guys these days, but with the arranged marriage thing, I get where you're coming from.

What do you even look for though? Like, it's clear you want somebody kind and funny, but when you say intelligent, just how smart are you hoping this person'll be?

You want a guy with a decent future ahead of him professionally, but you shouldn't judge that on solely the degree they're chasing, or the grades they entered with.

Also, you admit you go to a bad University, but then you also complain about the fact the students like to party too much; like,you don't have to point those things out together- it's clear that a bad University won't be able to make people feel they want to learn, or enjoy learning.

Honestly it sounds like you're just at the wrong place, fishing at the wrong fishing spot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I would have doubts about you due to your snobbish personality. It wouldnt take me long to suss that out.
You think you are better than others, when in fact it was you who chose to attend that university.
Your attitude is terrible.

Meeting a clever funny man is just a case of numbers and making an effort.
Presumably if you meet a clever funny man he will be going to taht university, in which case he will thunk you are a snob and not wish to know you, unless you are extremely attractive lookswise.

If you meet a clever funny man then he may either:

1. Wish to know you because he wants to sleep with you.
2. Wish to know you but then realise about your attitude.
3. Wish to know you and is also a snob, which will then suit you, but he could look down on your uni so prefer to move on.

Because you got higher grades. then perhaps a transfer to a better university worthy of your talents would be better qand that would also increase your talent pool. Perhaps this all fits in with your parents plan for you?
Im glad to see OP get roasted.

Im starting to like you tsr people xx
I'm not saying I'm clever, but I would certainly give someone from a **** university a chance. I genuinely do find intellectual snobbishness attractive, though I am at least as intellectually snobbish as you are, so you would have to convince me that you are very clever.
That's a generalisation, not "everyone" in your uni is dumb, thinking like that shows how intelligent you are yourself. There will be smart and dumb people at every university, I know a load of dumb ****s and I go to a top 5 uni. Again there'll definitely be smart people at your university, stop thinking so close-minded.
I can assure you with this mentality, arranged marriage is the best bet for you. It is quite clear that you're talking like a year 7 girl when asked what type of guy she likes. Grow up!!. If you think by going to a crap uni you may not be succesful in life then you should not be in university at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
am just here to see the OP get roasted:rolleyes:
:facepalm:

Is all I have to say
x

You got onto a course that requires BBB, and think you're clever :lol:

Come back to me when you're on one that requires requires 3 A*s AND multiple A*s at GCSE.

But seriously you sound the dumb one, or are you just a massive attention whore? and surely if "everyone" at your uni is "dumb", that must mean you are too?
What's so special about you? Since you feel you deserve a "nice, clever and funny man"

I sympathise with the whole arranged marriage thing. But you'll struggle to find a decent guy with your attitude. And big whoop you got good A-levels, come back to us when you actually translate that to a good job. Employers barely give a **** about A-levels, as long as you got something decent. (Like 300 UCAS points or something)
How are the degree's at your uni useless?

Work experience is the name of the game now, not many employers care about what uni you went to(unless going into IB, etc). They want to see work experience with a 1st or 2.1 obtained.

And not everyone at your university are dumb, their will be a mix of clever and not so clever people at every university.

You should never judge someone on their A-level grades or what degree they are doing.

I don't have a degree(completing mine part time), however, I've got a potential £26k programmer starting salary interview and there are highly paid programmers without A-levels, degree's who are entirely self taught.

So you should never judge anyone and give people a chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CTLevers
People from Russel Group Unis may think you're not very intellectual and going to end up working in retail for the rest of your life". Feel insulted? Well that's how other people feel when you call them out. Your obvious pretentious attitude is probably what's stopping you from meeting the "Nice, clever and funny man" you're looking for. Sort out your attitude and I'm sure some good karma will come your way.

But I don't go to RG university due to personal reasons. I achieved very good results in my GCSEs and A Levels. My attitude is not the problem. It's the fact that I have to go to a university full of people who did not care about their education earlier on in life...

I want someone with my level of intelligence.

I thought I left all the ridiculous chavy people back in school and college but apparently chavs go to university. I suppose former polytechnic universities cannot be too picky in who they allow in otherwise they will go out of businesses.

Original post by UWS
It doesn't even sound like you're upset of not finding a man; it sounds more of a rant that you didn't get into a RG university.

I didn't apply to an RG university. My parents weren't even willing to let me go to university but I begged them. They agreed on the condition that I commute from home (which limited my options considerably). I was never allowed to work so I am fully dependant on my parents (hence the reason I had to listen to them and go to a local university).

Original post by Kravence
If you believe karma is a thing then no since you won't give anyone else a chance

Many people at my university cannot even compete with my 15 year old sister. I will not date someone who is intellectually inferior to my 15 year old sister. Stop acting like I'm a horrible person when all I'm asking for is an intelligent, funny and nice man. Too many other girls are extremely shallow and will pick money and wealth over anything else.

Original post by Lord Samosa
What's so special about you? Since you feel you deserve a "nice, clever and funny man"

I sympathise with the whole arranged marriage thing. But you'll struggle to find a decent guy with your attitude. And big whoop you got good A-levels, come back to us when you actually translate that to a good job. Employers barely give a **** about A-levels, as long as you got something decent. (Like 300 UCAS points or something)

Exactly (directed at the part in bold).

And, I'm not saying I'm special but I feel that my requirements aren't anything out of the ordinary...

Original post by MeYou2Night
You got onto a course that requires BBB, and think you're clever :lol:

Come back to me when you're on one that requires requires 3 A*s AND multiple A*s at GCSE.

But seriously you sound the dumb one, or are you just a massive attention whore? and surely if "everyone" at your uni is "dumb", that must mean you are too?

Even Medicine doesn't require 3 A*s...

I got all A* got GCSEs and A*AA for my A Levels.

I wouldn't have minded if everyone on my course ACTUALLY got BBB. But, as I said in my opening post, people with Cs and Ds are on this course.

Original post by Gatewaymerge
That's a generalisation, not "everyone" in your uni is dumb, thinking like that shows how intelligent you are yourself. There will be smart and dumb people at every university, I know a load of dumb ****s and I go to a top 5 uni. Again there'll definitely be smart people at your university, stop thinking so close-minded.

I completely understand that. It's just that most people who achieve my grades look to apply to places like LSE, Oxbridge, Warwick, Manchester, Leeds, King's... etc...

Therefore many people at my university is "dumb" - at least to me. Every guy I have met so far can be described as such.

I completely understand that I come across as mean. But unless you're another A/A* student in a place filled with C/D students, then you have no right to judge me.

Original post by westcoast89
If you think by going to a crap uni you may not be successful in life then you should not be in university at all.

But I never said that? I know I will be successful (or at least I hope so lol). But I don't want to be more successful than my partner. The fact that most my peers did not even receive the minimum requirements set by most employers (for competitive jobs), indicates they won't be as successful as I plan to be.
Original post by 999tigger
I think I would have doubts about you due to your snobbish personality. It wouldnt take me long to suss that out.
You think you are better than others, when in fact it was you who chose to attend that university.
Your attitude is terrible.

Meeting a clever funny man is just a case of numbers and making an effort.
Presumably if you meet a clever funny man he will be going to taht university, in which case he will thunk you are a snob and not wish to know you, unless you are extremely attractive lookswise.

If you meet a clever funny man then he may either:

1. Wish to know you because he wants to sleep with you.
2. Wish to know you but then realise about your attitude.
3. Wish to know you and is also a snob, which will then suit you, but he could look down on your uni so prefer to move on.

Because you got higher grades. then perhaps a transfer to a better university worthy of your talents would be better qand that would also increase your talent pool. Perhaps this all fits in with your parents plan for you?

I can't transfer. I have personal and financial problems. It's clearly mentioned in my OP.

I wrote about the problems in more detail in a reply to another poster (if you're interested to know).
Do you live in the real world?

Even Medicine doesn't require 3 A*s...

I got all A* got GCSEs and A*AA for my A Levels.

I wouldn't have minded if everyone on my course ACTUALLY got BBB. But, as I said in my opening post, people with Cs and Ds are on this course. .

You have actually said everyone at the university - not the course. Again, come back to me when you're at Oxford (where I went). I have no problem with anyone going to any uni in the country. I do however, take issue with people like you.

Therefore many people at my university is "dumb" - at least to me. Every guy I have met so far can be described as such.

Its "many people at my university are dumb", Miss clever cloggs

what about the girls?

Latest