Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a timetable through the post this week for my Access course, starting Sep 3rd. It has the wrong modules on it! At my interview, I explicitly chose Psychology, Sociology and English Lit. My timetable has me pencilled in for Government and Politics, English (lit? dunno) and Culture Studies.

So I rang the college, who decided they'd call me back later. Which , of course, they did not. So I rang again the next day and got someone else, who told me I should sort it out with the tutors on the enrolment day (some 4 days before term starts!).

Now, I suspect that I've been shifted to different modules because my application was somewhat late (June) and if therefore my subjects are already full, which is fair enough. However, if it's simple error, or if I can still change to Psych and Sociology, I'd rather do that obviously. I think the subjects I'm landed with sound a little too fluffy to be taken seriously by the unis I'm hoping to get into (Warwick, Durham and Exeter). Not to mention, another choice, Sheffield, requires a science to be taken prior to applying.

So to cut my rambling off at the knees : Would it be neurotic of me to think that the person I spoke to doesn't really know whether I can sort it out 4 days before term? Am I just being paranoid? I don't want to make an arse of myself bothering them over and over, but I don't want to be stuck doing subjects I didn't choose, which may strongly affect my future because someone didn't take my issue seriously.

Opinions please!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the world of colleges and universities lol ... Keep calling, and hopefully someone should pull their finger out and get you sorted. Just be persistant, I'd imagine there'll be a week or so at the beginning of term when you can change modules, it's likely there'll be spaces in the modules as not everyone who's registered will actually turn up to start the course.

I wouldn't worry about being a pain, it's in their interest to allow you to take the modules you want to take as it's more trouble for them if you drop out. Just be polite and persistant.

ReputationRep:
    Just emailed them, bank hols on Mon so Tuesday I hope to get a reply.

My enrolment is on Weds hehe. Still, if the tutors look at me blankly, I've already got the ball rolling!

Thanks for the reply, it made me feel a lot better

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed my access & we didn't pick our subjects until the day we started & everything worked out fine. There were a couple of people who started a week late & they were limited to what subjects they were able to take though.

I will agree with what has already said & say that if the subjects are full & that is why you have been given alternatives then you will probably find that spaces become available within the first week of college due to people dropping out or not even turning up.

I took politics in my access & it was the best thing I ever did because it gave me a huge passion for the subject that I didn't realise i had & as you can see from my sig i'm going to study it further. I certainly didn't expect that at the start of my access, I actually wanted to go into the probation service! A lot of the other people in my class turned their nose up at politics & said that it would be soooooo boring however they soon changed their opinions when we told them what subject we were studying & how good it was. You might find you really enjoy it & it is definantly not a 'weak' subject.
    Must admit I can't comment on culture studies though as i'm not sure what that entails.

Hope you can work things out

ReputationRep:
    Culture studies is commenting on media as far as I can tell. Sort of sociology, but with more Tarantino films and Daily Mail articles

Must admit, I feel less boxed in now hearing your experiences. I already have a strong interest in psychology so it would be ideal to study it before uni too, but my main worry was that it may affect admission tutors opinion of me.

Thanks for the wishes

ReputationRep:
    Its your life, so tell that son of a ***** what subjects you want to study.

ReputationRep:
    I did harass the college and they told me to sort it out on the day.
    When I told the tutor who interviewed me, he looked somewhat like I'd drop kicked his nutsack. Still, he did the job and cheered up a bit after that

I will now officially be studying PsychoSocialEnglish

Or something.

ReputationRep:
    well done to you

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.