The Student Room Group

Which Operating System (OS) do you use on your Computer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I agree with you here, one of the main reasons I haven't got Linux yet is because of the compatibility issues. I also wouldn't enjoy having to use Wine to play some of my games (League of Legends, etc). I agree that Windows looks a lot nicer and that Word looks a lot nicer compared to Libre Office.
Reply 41
Original post by Waifuism
I run Arch Linux and Windows 7 windows 10 tells you that you did, but don't be too sure league of legends works through WINE without any loss of performance and if you check the store page for CSGO you would know that it runs natively on linux so thats completely wrong

I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work through WINE without any loss of performance... and trust me, I've debloated and de-spywared as much as Windows 10 as possible, including the things that are hidden that Windows don't show. Arch Linux definitely has compatibility issues and is generally horrendous to use unless you are an expert. I thought that CSGO didn't run on Linux without WINE, but I'll accept I was wrong on that. But League definitely does suffer from using WINE
Reply 42
And, at the moment, Windows 10 has the most votes. Is this because of its good compatibility with gaming/microsoft office? (Since this is The Student Room, of course).
Original post by AshEntropy
Windows 10 isn't that bad with compatibility and stability issues... I've left my Windows 10 OS running for 2-3 days before and it didn't lag or crash once. Infact, my computer starts up quicker than ever with Windows 10. I do, however, know that there is currently a bug where Windows 10 does not like low-storage SSDs. The UI can be changed, but I agree it is quite an adventure to do so with Windows Powershell. The apps and features can be removed using powershell and sometimes with deep scripting. My Windows 10 OS idles at about 1.3GB RAM useage after debloating.

Windows 10 is malware to me not an OS. When it isnt being malware it's being one of the most awful OSs to use. For example, at University Windows 10 has resulted in:

Sound driver not working correctly - Ruining 30mins of a 1hr Lecture
One drive popping up randomly - Leading lecturers to click it and have to go thorugh a bunch of hoops to get out of it
"My Computer" and the start menu being changed drastically to the point where a tutor could not find the sessions presentation
Presentation and seminar sessions being completely halted because Windows 10 Needed to update there and then, and it couldn't be dismissed.
Register system not working throughout the whole campus because Windows 10 wasnt happy with specific custom applications and networking.

On my side of the fence:
The OS has only worked on prebuilt machines branded by big box companies, and even then its nothing impressive
It literally doesn't do anything new
Its infact more restrictive
It defo doesn't spy at all.
The fact it was "Free" is really fishy
Its ruined more computers than it has helped
Linux does everything Windows 10 can do and more and is really free to use.

The fact that an OS has issues handling low capacity SSDs when it is meant to be user friendly, modern and generally just work is pathetic when Windows XP a 16 year old OS can handle low capacity SSDs Just fine.
Reply 44
Yeah, Arch is extremely difficult to install. I watched a friend do it and it looked like absolute hell. I'm sure one day you'd be able to, perhaps start out with Ubuntu and slowly progress towards the more advanced Linux distros?
I understand that a lot more things are becoming compatible with Linux, but I don't think it's at the amount to which I would feel comfortable with using it without feeling as though I had sacrificed a lot of the useful things from Windows. Yeah, I wish that Windows had more customization rather than having to go deep into Windows Powershell just to remove some bloatware. The start menu on Windows 10 was the absolute hardest thing for me to customise, to the point where I gave up on just having my programs organised in alphabetical order.
Reply 45
Original post by Jacarch12
Windows 10 is malware to me not an OS. When it isnt being malware it's being one of the most awful OSs to use. For example, at University Windows 10 has resulted in:

Sound driver not working correctly - Ruining 30mins of a 1hr Lecture
One drive popping up randomly - Leading lecturers to click it and have to go thorugh a bunch of hoops to get out of it
"My Computer" and the start menu being changed drastically to the point where a tutor could not find the sessions presentation
Presentation and seminar sessions being completely halted because Windows 10 Needed to update there and then, and it couldn't be dismissed.
Register system not working throughout the whole campus because Windows 10 wasnt happy with specific custom applications and networking.

On my side of the fence:
The OS has only worked on prebuilt machines branded by big box companies, and even then its nothing impressive
It literally doesn't do anything new
Its infact more restrictive
It defo doesn't spy at all.
The fact it was "Free" is really fishy
Its ruined more computers than it has helped
Linux does everything Windows 10 can do and more and is really free to use.

The fact that an OS has issues handling low capacity SSDs when it is meant to be user friendly, modern and generally just work is pathetic when Windows XP a 16 year old OS can handle low capacity SSDs Just fine.

Perhaps labeling Windows 10 as malware is a bit of a stretch? I mean, I know it has its concerns - but those can be turned off quite clearly and if you really want to get rid of ALL of it, you can install Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 to ensure that nothing can connect to Microsoft's servers. Linux can definitely not do "everything windows 10 can do and more" - even though more things are becoming compatible, it's not enough to be able to use without the hassle of using WINE. I'm sure that the low capacity SSD problem with Windows 10 will be fixed soon enough.
Perhaps labeling Windows 10 as malware is a bit of a stretch? I mean, I know it has its concerns - but those can be turned off quite clearly and if you really want to get rid of ALL of it, you can install Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows 10 to ensure that nothing can connect to Microsoft's servers. Linux can definitely not do "everything windows 10 can do and more" - even though more things are becoming compatible, it's not enough to be able to use without the hassle of using WINE. I'm sure that the low capacity SSD problem with Windows 10 will be fixed soon enough.

Just to inform you:

Hassle to install doesn't equal incompatability.
Literally name one thing Windows 10 can do apart from run DX12 that Linux cant.
Oh deary me, Windows Vista was an absolutely disaster :O It was the most buggy OS I have ever used in my entire life and couldn't handle being on for more than 30 minutes. My grandad had a load of Windows Vista laptops and got super angry at them and installed Windows 7 instead because of just how bad Windows Vista was. :colondollar:

I used Vista for 5 years. I have never been so glad to have been rid of anything; it was just how it looked graphically, it was just sooo not nice.

I think my Grandad still uses it, god bless him.
Reply 48
Literally name one thing Windows 10 can do apart from run DX12 that Linux cant.

1.) Run DX12
2.) Microsoft Office (without using WINE or the other ugly version called Libre Office)
3.) Linux doesn't have a clear Task Manager so it's difficult to see how much resources it is using.
4.) Hardware compatibility is an issue with Linux.
5.) Very difficult to mount harddrives.
don't worry about it everyone thinks the installation is daunting at first, but you can find an auto-installer for it if you don't feel like reading so much into the documentation because i will admit that installing arch linux takes a fair amount of time reading the archwiki and other such documentation

And, at the moment, Windows 10 has the most votes. Is this because of its good compatibility with gaming/microsoft office? (Since this is The Student Room, of course).

because most people on TSR didn't mind upgrading to windows 10 because they are not advanced users, which usually means that windows 10 will work just fine for them
Reply 50
Original post by Inexorably
I used Vista for 5 years. I have never been so glad to have been rid of anything; it was just how it looked graphically, it was just sooo not nice.

I think my Grandad still uses it, god bless him.

Oh dear me 5 years! Yeah its graphics weren't that pleasing either hahha :colondollar:
Awh I hope it's running okay for him, I wouldn't be surprised if it gave my grandad high blood pressure :h:
Reply 51
because most people on TSR didn't mind upgrading to windows 10 because they are not advanced users, which usually means that windows 10 will work just fine for them

I don't understand how having to code to install something that essentially works the same as Windows, but far more buggy, makes it "advanced".
Original post by Inexorably
I used Vista for 5 years.

what a trooper
Reply 53
what a trooper

Have you ever used Windows Vista?
I don't understand how having to code to install something that essentially works the same as Windows, but far more buggy, makes it "advanced".

thats not what i'm saying at all
i'm saying that the front-end of windows 10 is alright, which means that users who only use their pc for basic tasks like making documents with office or browsing the web will keep the OS as they would have no reason to switch to anything else until the next windows is released
Have you ever used Windows Vista?

Windows Vista isn't as bad as its made out. It was terrible initially, but as it got nearer to the end of its life the OSs updates fixed most of the issues, it did require beefy hardware at the time to run well, but it was around the stage that dual core CPUs and 2GB RAM + Systems were arriving and its probably why Vista was perceived as so terrible, aswell as sluggish hard drives.

A modern SSD equipped system would make light work of Vista.
Reply 56
thats not what i'm saying at all
i'm saying that the front-end of windows 10 is alright, which means that users who only use their pc for basic tasks like making documents with office or browsing the web will keep the OS as they would have no reason to switch to anything else until the next windows is released

But what I mean is, what is it about Linux that makes it advanced? It just seems to be the same as Windows, but it's a lot less user friendly and difficult to perform the most simple things. What can Linux do that Windows 10 can't? Is it more about being able to customise it more?
Reply 57
Windows Vista isn't as bad as its made out. It was terrible initially, but as it got nearer to the end of its life the OSs updates fixed most of the issues, it did require beefy hardware at the time to run well, but it was around the stage that dual core CPUs and 2GB RAM + Systems were arriving and its probably why Vista was perceived as so terrible, aswell as sluggish hard drives.

A modern SSD equipped system would make light work of Vista.

Yeah it definitely needed beefy hardware, as my grandad had quite poor laptops that would crash on Visa within 30 minutes of it being on, but run perfectly fine on Windows 7. And Vista was very very vulnerable to malware, just like Windows XP.
Yeah it definitely needed beefy hardware, as my grandad had quite poor laptops that would crash on Visa within 30 minutes of it being on, but run perfectly fine on Windows 7. And Vista was very very vulnerable to malware, just like Windows XP.

I wouldnt say "beefy" I would just say, more than 2GB RAM and a Dual core CPU with decent enough graphics just to keep it running, also a 7200RPM HDD at least or an SSD. But thats not terribly "beefy" nowadays. Back then though something with that kinda specs in say 2006 would have been a hell of a lot of money.
Linux. Can't really use anything else, it's either too closed off or too hard to use.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending