The Student Room Group

Which Operating System (OS) do you use on your Computer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AshEntropy
Found this that made me laugh :h:

Damn, how'd you manage to find a picture of me? :tongue: I'm gonna try GNewSense and GuixSD as soon as I get a Libre wifi card.

(Also, Stallman now uses Trisquel...)
Original post by Waifuism
cool stuff, i've been thinking about trying out Fedora
truth be told, despite using linux for a long while i've only used a handful of distros so i might make a new years resolution to try out some others throughout next year

What's your normal distro?
I'd definitely recommend trying out a couple of distros, even if it's only on a VM - it can be quite fun to try out different package managers etc. Also fun to try some off-the-wall ones like Alpine, Trisquel, etc.
Reply 82
Original post by trythis
Damn, how'd you manage to find a picture of me? :tongue: I'm gonna try GNewSense and GuixSD as soon as I get a Libre wifi card.

(Also, Stallman now uses Trisquel...)

Hahahah it makes me laugh how I was considering using Mint because it's one of the easiest to use and it has a little kid on it. :colondollar: I'd say that Ubuntu user is more like me, so perhaps Ubuntu is more for me. :P
Reply 83
Original post by trythis
What's your normal distro?
I'd definitely recommend trying out a couple of distros, even if it's only on a VM - it can be quite fun to try out different package managers etc. Also fun to try some off-the-wall ones like Alpine, Trisquel, etc.

Waifuism uses Arch Linux, it's a wonder how he managed to install it without rage quitting! :biggrin:
Sadly not, I've never used Linux - I use Windows 10 right now. I've wanted to try Linux, but I've always decided not to based on how I use computers - I only really use computers basically for watching Youtube, talking on Discord, playing video games and doing my university work on it with Word and Powerpoint. Linux seems to have compatibility issues with many of these things for me to justify getting it.. I think if I were to get Linux, I would get Ubuntu or Mint first.

Yeah, that's reasonable. Gaming seems to be the number-one hangup on switching to Linux, and quite rightly, because a lot of AAA companies don't support Linux yet (eg. TW3, that was meant to have a Linux release but we've heard nothing!). But eg. Youtube, Word, Powerpoint, all work fine.
You should try Fedora first. Not that I'm biased, or anything, but it's been a lot easier to set up in my experience and also easier to do advanced stuff with.
Found this that made me laugh :h:
-

Could you explain the ubuntu unity one please?
Reply 86
Original post by DarkEnergy

I don't understand the joke for that one, the one that I understood and made me laugh was Mint. :colondollar:
Reply 87
Original post by trythis
Yeah, that's reasonable. Gaming seems to be the number-one hangup on switching to Linux, and quite rightly, because a lot of AAA companies don't support Linux yet (eg. TW3, that was meant to have a Linux release but we've heard nothing!). But eg. Youtube, Word, Powerpoint, all work fine.
You should try Fedora first. Not that I'm biased, or anything, but it's been a lot easier to set up in my experience and also easier to do advanced stuff with.

Mhm? Does Word actually work fine? I saw someone earlier in the thread say you had to use a different version of Microsoft Office that looked ugly or run it through WINE which can be buggy. Mhm I'll take a good look at Fedora first if I ever decide to use Linux, maybe that day will come quite soon :h:
Original post by DarkEnergy

That's Mark Shuttleworth, head of Canonical (the company that works on Ubuntu). He's led a big push for people to start using Unity (Ubuntu's current default desktop environment), but a lot of people don't like it because of various reasons. So the joke is that he's the only person who uses it because the rest of the community doesn't like it.
I need to get out more.
Reply 89
Original post by trythis
That's Mark Shuttleworth, head of Canonical (the company that works on Ubuntu). He's led a big push for people to start using Unity (Ubuntu's current default desktop environment), but a lot of people don't like it because of various reasons. So the joke is that he's the only person who uses it because the rest of the community doesn't like it.
I need to get out more.

Thank you for explaining that to everyone, now I know something new about Linux :colondollar:
Mhm? Does Word actually work fine? I saw someone earlier in the thread say you had to use a different version of Microsoft Office that looked ugly or run it through WINE which can be buggy. Mhm I'll take a good look at Fedora first if I ever decide to use Linux, maybe that day will come quite soon :h:

LibreOffice works fine for pretty much anything you'd want to do with Microsoft Office (plus, it's Libre!). Office 2010 has a Platinum rating for Wine (highest you can get!) so running it like that is fine too.
Reply 91
Original post by trythis
LibreOffice works fine for pretty much anything you'd want to do with Microsoft Office (plus, it's Libre!). Office 2010 has a Platinum rating for Wine (highest you can get!) so running it like that is fine too.

Ah Office 2010, I use Office 2016 :colondollar: I'll give it a look at and see if it's worth it
I don't understand the joke for that one, the one that I understood and made me laugh was Mint. :colondollar:

Quick run-through of the jokes for those that don't get them:

Running Gentoo requires that you compile everything from scratch, and be very familiar with how Linux works, which leads to it having its users be stereotyped as 'antisocial computer geek that lives in mother's basement'.

Arch users have to be reasonably familiar with Linux internals and can be quite snobby, so they're like Gentoo users but not as antisocial.

CentOS, and to a lesser extent Fedora, is very similar to Red Hat Linux which is a commercial Linux system used a lot in business servers etc. So the stereotypical user is a system admin.

Ubuntu is used by a lot of Linux beginners, so tends to have the most tame/normal users.

Ubuntu Unity is only used by Mark Shuttleworth.

GNewSense is a fully Libre (ie. respects your freedom) distribution, and Richard Stallman is the pioneer of the Free Software movement. The joke is that he's the only person to use it because GNS can be quite inconvenient to run non-free software on, and he's the only one who would take that inconvenience.

Debian was one of the first decent Linux distros to be released, so people who use it can be quite nerdy and traditional.

Slackware aims to be very Unix-y which means that it can sometimes seem a bit antiquated.

Mint users are like Ubuntu users but even less experienced. Probably because Mint is the most similar to Windows.

BackTrack is aimed at the computer security/pentesting crowd, so all the people who download it feel kinda like Neo in The Matrix for how cool haxxors they are.

Obviously these are all stereotypes, so don't reflect how actual users of these distributions look. :biggrin:

Here's another amusing pic:
https://i.imgur.com/HLp8z11.jpg
Reply 93
Original post by trythis
x

Thanks for explaining all of that, and that picture you posted made me laugh too :tongue:
Awh, what happened? Did your laptop not work right with Windows 10? :frown:

My laptop is fairly old and i've been having issues with it for over a year. So when i initially downloaded windows 10 it was fine but then it started being all weird again and i had to get it fixed. They reset it to its original OS and i even tried redownloading windows 10... I WAITED 48 HOURS WITH ONLY 4 HOURS OF SLEEP IN BETWEEN AND THE DAMN THING DIDN'T WORK...

Spoiler

Reply 95
Original post by retro_turtles
My laptop is fairly old and i've been having issues with it for over a year. So when i initially downloaded windows 10 it was fine but then it started being all weird again and i had to get it fixed. They reset it to its original OS and i even tried redownloading windows 10... I WAITED 48 HOURS WITH ONLY 4 HOURS OF SLEEP IN BETWEEN AND THE DAMN THING DIDN'T WORK...

Spoiler

Ah dear :frown: I suppose it'll be time to get a new laptop for you pretty soon, make sure you back up all of your stuff!
Ah dear :frown: I suppose it'll be time to get a new laptop for you pretty soon, make sure you back up all of your stuff!

I have nothing on it saved since i backed it up before (i don't trust the cloud) but i don't want a new laptop because its costs money
Reply 97
Original post by retro_turtles
I have nothing on it saved since i backed it up before (i don't trust the cloud) but i don't want a new laptop because its costs money

Yeah, I find the cloud quite fishy.. I have completely nuked OneDrive off of my Windows 10 so that it can't send anything to Microsoft. :colondollar:
Reply 98
Oh yes, I forgot to mention to everyone:

I completely removed Windows Store from my Windows 10, so now Windows can't download anything like CandyCrush Saga or anything like that behind my back!
Windows 10 is great, when it works and doesn't crash at the most inconvenient time but it still better than windows 8.1 by a long shot since that OS corrupted all my data within a couple months of having it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending