The Student Room Group

Been charged for my bank for being in overdraft- unaware this happened

Scroll to see replies

Is what you're saying that they won't open an account for a student if you're in your second year and haven't opened one already, rather than all second-year students can't hold student bank accounts (which is what I too the OP's post to mean)?

EDIT:

thanks for the information - indeed you are correct. I've taken this from Santander's 'Terms and Conditions for Student accounts' on their website:

1. Eligibility To be eligible for this account, you must be 18 years old or over, live in the UK for tax purposes, not already hold a Santander 1I2I3 Student Current Account and be able to provide proof of student status (UCAS Digital AS12, Student ID Card or Letter from your Higher Education Provider). To open a new account or transfer from an existing Santander current account, you must be in your first year of study. To switch from an external provider, you can be in any year of study. The course you are on must be a minimum of 2 years in length with a Higher Education Provider. For example, Higher National Diploma (HND), Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Engineering (B.Eng), Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)

I've put the relevant bit in bold - I read this to meant that you can switch your bank account from a different bank whatever year you're in, but if you're trying to open a new account or switch an existing one (which is what the OP has tried to do) then you must be in your first year of study - which is what she was told.
(edited 7 years ago)
@jneill :smile: great minds, hey?
Reply 22
Original post by Reality Check
@jneill :smile: great minds, hey?

:five:
Thanks, yes that's indeed what their terms and conditions say. Quite unusual, I'd say - I don't remember seeing that for Barclays or HSBC, where you can open a new student account at any point (I think...)

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending