Playing MP3 player in the car Watch

kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Wasn't sure where to post this, but figured here was prob best!

I've put a lot of songs on my MP3 player, and wanted to be able to listen to them when I am driving. Someone mentioned that I can get it to play through the car's speakers, but havn't got a clue how!!

Can anyone explain in a really easy, non-technical way, the quickest/easiest way of doing it? (Its a CD/radio player in the car already, if that makes any difference).

Thanks!!
samba
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a simple solution would be to burn the songs onto a cd and just play them from that

you can get car radios with mp3 ports these days!
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can get an FM transmitter (such as this - though that's just the first hit in a Google search; I'm not recommending that model one way or the other) that sends out a (weak) short-range radio signal, which you can then tune into using the car radio. If you had a cassette slot, you could get an adapter that plugs into the slot instead (example).

Depending on your particular model of MP3 player, there may be transmitters designed specifically for it (there are lots of iPod-specifc ones, for example).
no1mohsin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You can get a cassette adapter provided you have a cassette player in your car. It's basically a cassette which has a 3.5mm jack attached to it. You put the jack into the headphone socket of your MP3, and the cassette end goes into the cassette player. I hear the Belkin ones are good.
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The FM transmitters are good but if you want to spend a bit more money you could get a new car stereo with a USB plug in it. It would be expensive but much better quality
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
or just an aux in..
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
either a itrip or similar - FM transmitter you plug into the jack of your MP3 then tune in your stereo to listen to it, or for better quality and only about £60 you could get a stereo with a front AUX in which would allow you to run a cable direct from the MP3 to the front of the stereo, with a much better transmission than the fm tranmitter
so either smoething like this: http://www.itripstore.co.uk/product/...d_and_nano.htm (available for non-ipod too)
or
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenw...ecca19bd8be194
kookabura
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Thanks for your help everyone!

Would you say that the FM transmitters are any good? I understand what you are saying about it would be better quality with a new stereo to plug it in directly. But...I would rather be able to play my MP3 player in various different cars, if that makes sense! I drive my mum's car at the moment, but will hopefully be getting my own soon - so it would be better if I could use it in different cars.

Also.....another question! I'm going on holiday soon, and hiring a car while I am there. If I had a transmitter thingy - would that work in *any* car (and how easy is it to tune into it!?)
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well, my dad has a Belkin Tunebase for his iPod, which I reckon is pretty good - you can tell it's not CD-quality, but I certainly haven't noticed any major problems with it, and he seems pleased. You may have to change the frequency in built-up areas, but it doesn't seem overly hard to find a free frequency (radio stations have much more powerful signals, which overpower the transmitter's signal).

A transmitter should work in any car with a radio (ones that take their power from a cigarette lighter will obviously need one of those as well).
jewellui
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea FM transmitters are probably the way to go, i have one for my ipod its decent quality too - also not CD quality. Though my friend plays it through his phone and the quality is not great...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.82%
No (135)
74.18%

Watched Threads