The Student Room Group

A-level Biology Revision/Study Tricks and Tips??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reality Check
No, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that by self-teaching yourself a difficult subject like Biology, you've already set the bar pretty high. You've thus got to be realistic about the hours required for success, and five hours a week really is no-where near enough, regardless of your ability. I'm not trying to put you off, but what's the point of me pretending to you that 5 hours a weeks is plenty to self-teach yourself A2 Biology when in fact it's woefully short. You're right that quality of work is important, but there is also a minimum quantity that most people need to do as well.

@Ginertain has expressed incredulity that you should have to do 15-odd hours a week, when she 'only get 5 timetabled hours per week'. I would suggest that 5 hours of taught ,directed study is not directly equivalent to 5 hours of self-taught learning, and that an A2 student would ordinarily be expected to do more than three or four hours of 'just reviewing' a week on top of their directed learning in order to suceeed.

Yeah you could probably learn a lot in 5 hours of self teaching instead of being at class. That reviewing also includes doing past papers and questions. There isn;t a set time you need to spend but the quality of which you spend learning. Nor did I suggest spending 15 hours in my post.
Original post by Ginertain
Yeah you could probably learn a lot in 5 hours of self teaching instead of being at class. That reviewing also includes doing past papers and questions. There isn;t a set time you need to spend but the quality of which you spend learning. Nor did I suggest spending 15 hours in my post.

Thank you!! :smile:
I started to lose so much hope when I heard that I wouldn't really stand a chance but you've managed to make me believe it is possible. Obviously I just meant that on a bad week I'm doing 5 hours, but on average I'm doing between 10 and 15 hours of studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending