The Student Room Group

Would I stare a chance of getting into Cambridge?

Hello,
I'm currently living in England and I've come here 5 years ago when I had no English knowledge at all and it was my third language my first language is Latvian and second is Russian. I also suffered from mental health issues while I was doing my GCSEs and my results for those were:
Russian- A*
Maths-A(2 marks of an A*)
IT- Distinction
Double science -AB(best in whole school)
French-C(2 marks of a B)
Art-C
English literature -C( 2 marks of a B)
Religious studies -C
Music-D
History-D(1 mark of a C)
English language-E( it was igcse exam board even though I gotten 24/50 in the exam that was a U so I was a little upset with that)
I'm hoping to do maths at Cambridge btw.
My current a levels and predictions are:
Maths:A*
Further maths:A*
Russian:A*
Psychology:A
Biology:B
So do you think with an extremely good personal statement would I even stand a chance of getting an interview at girton college in Cambridge?
Thank you a lot for responses it means a lot.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Can't hurt having a try, can it? You've got four other options on top.
You might need to pass English language. Maybe a retake this summer?
Original post by Vlad1711
Hello,
I'm currently living in England and I've come here 5 years ago when I had no English knowledge at all and it was my third language my first language is Latvian and second is Russian. I also suffered from mental health issues while I was doing my GCSEs and my results for those were:
Russian- A*
IT- Distinction
French-C(2 marks of a B)
Art-C
Religious studies -C
Music-D
History-D(1 mark of a C)
English language-E( it was igcse exam board even though I gotten 24/50 in the exam that was a U so I was a little upset with that)
So do you think with an extremely good personal statement would I even stand a chance of getting an interview at girton college in Cambridge?

Do you not need at least a C in english language gcse?
Reply 4
Hello,
Russian- A*
IT- Distinction
French-C(2 marks of a B)
Art-C
Religious studies -C
Music-D
History-D(1 mark of a C)

Hi, there are no GCSE requirements for Cambridge, and their standard A Level offer is usually A*A*A. Here's a link to the page which explains the English Language Requirements
Reply 5
Original post by Amefish
Hi, there are no GCSE requirements for Cambridge, and their standard A Level offer is usually A*A*A. Here's a link to the page which explains the English Language Requirements

So would I not need to pass my English gcse? As I'm actually quite fluent in the conversation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are you applying for Sept 2017 entry? If so, the deadline has gone, hasn't it?
Reply 7
So would I not need to pass my English gcse?

They may set an IELTS requirement if you get an Offer.

But I suggest you ask one of the experienced Cambridge admissions tutors active on TSR.

Try this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4403326

PS. It's "stand a chance" :wink:
Reply 8
So would I not need to pass my English gcse? As I'm actually quite fluent in the conversation. Also on top in year 13 I'm going to do an epq on if anything can escape black holes using also some of Stephen hawking concepts would that be beneficial if I mentioned it in personal statement ?

It doesn't say you need to pass your English GCSE but you may need to do one of the other things listed on the website:

•

IELTS – normally a minimum overall grade of 7.5, usually with 7.0 or above in each element.

•

EU students – a high grade in English taken as part of a leaving examination (eg the European/French Baccalaureate, Abitur etc) may be acceptable.

•

Cambridge English: Advanced – grade A or B.

•

Cambridge English: Proficiency – grade A, B or C.

•

Singapore Integrated Programme (SIP) – may be considered an acceptable English language qualification.

Also that EPQ sounds great, but I'd edit your post because you don't want anyone to do the same EPQ as you or risk getting accused of plagiarism
Reply 9
Original post by Amefish
It doesn't say you need to pass your English GCSE but you may need to do one of the other things listed on the website:

•

IELTS – normally a minimum overall grade of 7.5, usually with 7.0 or above in each element.

•

EU students – a high grade in English taken as part of a leaving examination (eg the European/French Baccalaureate, Abitur etc) may be acceptable.

•

Cambridge English: Advanced – grade A or B.

•

Cambridge English: Proficiency – grade A, B or C.

•

Singapore Integrated Programme (SIP) – may be considered an acceptable English language qualification.

Also that EPQ sounds great, but I'd edit your post because you don't want anyone to do the same EPQ as you or risk getting accused of plagiarism

Does it not say though you don't need qualification if you have been taught in English? Or is it just me? Also would I still be able to get an offer and then in my offer they would include me to get such qualification such as ielts?
Reply 10
Original post by suejiaiuo
Are you applying for Sept 2017 entry? If so, the deadline has gone, hasn't it?

I'm only in year 12 I'm applying for 2018 entry
Does it not say though you don't need qualification if you have been taught in English? Or is it just me? Also would I still be able to get an offer and then in my offer they would include me to get such qualification such as ielts?

No it doesn't, it says "it is essential that your English language skills are good enough for you to undertake an intensive and challenging academic course that is taught and examined in English". You still need to be tested to make sure your English language skills are good enough, because anyone can be taught in English
Reply 12
Original post by Amefish
No it doesn't, it says "it is essential that your English language skills are good enough for you to undertake an intensive and challenging academic course that is taught and examined in English". You still need to be tested to make sure your English language skills are good enough, because anyone can be taught in English

So will they for example just test my English in interview and just ask to get a specific grade Or score in English? Also Cambridge doesn't focus on your GCSEs does it, as my passion for my subject that I want to study is like up there, as I've taught myself almost all of my a level specification.
Hello,
Russian- A*
IT- Distinction
French-C(2 marks of a B)
Art-C
Religious studies -C
Music-D - could you resit t
History-D(1 mark of a C)

I'd say resitting your GCSES under C would be a good idea.
Reply 14
Original post by KyleH123
I'd say resitting your GCSES under C would be a good idea.

I can't resit my GCSEs though unfortunately and don't have any resources to help me get a better grade.
I can't resit my GCSEs though unfortunately and don't have any resources to help me get a better grade.

Why?
Reply 16
So will they for example just test my English in interview and just ask to get a specific grade Or score in English? Also Cambridge doesn't focus on your GCSEs does it, as my passion for my subject that I want to study is like up there, as I've taught myself almost all of my a level specification.

Yes they assess the quality of your English as part of your interview - but ask the AT as per my earlier link.
Reply 17
Original post by jneill
Yes they assess the quality of your English as part of your interview - but ask the AT as per my earlier link.

Yes they said that if my English is good enough in the interview they won't give any requirements but if they think it's necessary in my offer they then are going to request any qualification in English to prove that I am suitable enough.
Reply 18
Original post by KyleH123
Why?

Because I have to pay for my resits and my family isn't in one of best fincial situations, and don't have any resources or also in music I would have to do redo all of my coursework which would just take way too much of my time as I am going to have 6 a level already including epq to work on.
Because I have to pay for my resits and my family isn't in one of best fincial situations, and don't have any resources or also in music I would have to do redo all of my coursework which would just take way too much of my time as I am going to have 6 a level already including epq to work on.

6 a levels?!

Quick Reply