Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I'm deiding on unis to apply to right now. I really want to do PPE, but there are only 4 unis I've found so far where I'd be excited about studying it: Oxford, Durham, Warwick and York.

For my 5th option I am considering applying for economics and philosophy, or maybe a completely different course, but I just don't know what to do! I don't knw if I'd like studying economics enough to have it as half my course. I don't know if I'd miss politics. Maybe I should apply to do PPE at Exeter or Lancaster or Manchester, even though I don't like the idea now.

Basically, from my degree I want to learn what is best for society and what I can do to for myself and society. I love philosophy and I'd love to get a chance to study all the great works in philosophical thought.

Do you ave any suggestions. I don't think I could afford LSE, or any London University. I got As in my AS levels: English Language, Maths, Philosophy, History, French, and an A in A2 Economics.

Thank you soooo much for any help you can give me!

Peace man:tsr2:

I don't know what that means but I like it

ReputationRep:
    UEA also does PPE but I don't know if that's of interest to you as it's about on par with Manchester, Lancaster and Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    i really don't think UAE is considered on par with Manchester tbh.
    @OP: remember...you will receive higher loans/grants etc if you study @ London...for example most of us will receive 3800 or something...whilst London students will recieve roughly 4800....look into the "student finance" sub-forum for more info.
    As for possible options regarding 5th choice you could have a look at Bristol and Edinburgh...i seem to remember them offering some combination of Economics and Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard PPE at Manchester is supposed to be pretty good. I felt very good about the philosophy dept when I visited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    i really dont think UAE is considered on par with Manchester tbh.
    UAE? It's certainly richer than Manchester!

Ok UEA probably doesn't have as much of an established reputation but to be fair to it in the latest Times League tables overrall UEA is 20th and Manchester 29th...

But personally, with regards to the OP I would suggest applying for Philosophy and Economics somewhere as your 5th choice.

ReputationRep:
    hi. Thanks a lot for your replies.

I reckon manchester is a good uni, but I'm just not sure if it's the kind of place I want to live. I'm a country gal and I like my peacefulness. Durham looks to hav a good mix of peace and quiet with some social like, and trains to bigger places when you need them. Maybe I'll go visit the uni if you think it's good though...

UEA looks OK, but I would tend to agree that I don't think it's as good as manchester. It's also v hard to get to from where I'm based (fairly near manchester).

I think I migh apply for economics and philosophy at somewhere like bristol. I'm just unsure though, because that's a lot of economics if I change my mind and decide I don't like it.

I realise you get bigger loans at london unis and that is a help. But you still have to pay them back. One plan is to apply to LSE just incase a long lost rich relatve dies or I win the lottery or something! Are any of you in London? How have you found financing?

Again, thanks for all your advice. It's really useful :-)

Sally

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 26, 2007

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.