Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Master in E-Commerce Technology from University of Essex has NO STANDARD! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Currently I am a student from Master in E-Commerce Technology in University of Essex. I want to make a clear comment that the Master course has simply no standard!

The website of this lousy Master degree is
    http://cswww.essex.ac.uk/prospective...g/mscecomm.htm

First of all, this course has been in it's 5th batch and more than 90% of all intake are international students. Only about 5% are British or EU citizens.

A lot of the international students are playing cheat while doing their programming assignments by asking people to help them do or copy from each other's work.

The most funny of all is that there are either no demonstrations of these programming assignments OR that no questions are asked about the programming codes!

Therefore, the students are able to make use of the loophole in the department's marking scheme and cheat through in order to pass the assignment or to get good marks.

This is ridiculous! :mad:

Even though a complaint was made to the head of department, he simply only give an excuse that the lecturers are way too busy to check very single students or it is too hard to catch students from cheating if they are very good at it.

He also pacified me that the students are bound to get caught one day even though they manage to cheat the lecturers. Then he even stated that he will take note of what I know but the outcome will be based on the department and that's final!

What a crap!

He even made one statement: "If the students cheated, they will never pass the exam!" This is because I told him that the students who cheated make remarks that exam are too easy and will not ask them to write programming codes so they will be able to pass it.

Imagine, those students who lack fundamental programming skills and they are thinking of taking the Master degree in E-Commerce Technology which contains lots of programming subject like java, asp.net and so on.
    If they got the Master degree, it only shows the Master degree has NO STANDARD!

With that, came the examinations in May and soon the results were published online after the board of examiners' meeting.

And you know what is the outcome?

All students managed to PASS including those who cheated in the assignments!

This is outragous! I investigated and you know what I found out?!
    Most of the students who cheated failed 3 or 4 out of 5 examination papers!!!!!!

The assignments percentage in each subject is only 20% or 30% while the examination percentage in each subject is 70% or 80%! This implies that if you fail the examination, you will fail that subject!

However, those cheated students scored 40++ for the examination papers (not even close to 45%) and yet their total subject aggregate (assignment percentage + exam percentage) percentage is 50%++ !!!!!

If they failed the exam, it implied that they do not understand the topic or they never do the assignment themselves!!!! And it means they failed the subject!!!!!

Yet the board of examiners let those students passed by pushing their marks up and that simply contradicts to what the head of department's words: "If the students cheated, they will never pass the exam!".

I utterly disappointed by the standard of this Master degree and the way the department handles these matter by not taking it seriously at all! Yes, what the head of the department mentioned ("If the students cheated, they will never pass the exam!") is true, but yet the board of examiners' lower the Master degree's standard by allowing them to pass!!

Furthermore, it seems that the department wants to create this impression that it is easy to pass the Master degree so that more international students will come to take this Master degree as it is so easy to "cheat" through!
    With that, the department will be able to earn more revenue as the international students are paying 3 times more than the local student!

Basically, I am an international student and yet I am paying so much money to get these kind of lousy standard!!!!!

I URGED all to stop applying for this lousy Master degree and make other options in other Universities!

It is simply NOT WORTH the $$$$$ ! :mad:

Note: I swear that what I am stating down here is the TRUTH as I am experiencing it NOW! This is not an allegation against the University or the Department but a true and undeniable FACT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omegantares)
    First of all, this course has been in it's 5th batch and more than 90% of all intake are international students. Only about 5% are British or EU citizens.
    What are the other 5%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    What are the other 5%?
    hahahaha!!!!

he posted this in the university forum - i'm like 'what the hell?!'

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    What are the other 5%?
    5% of the student intake each year for this Master course is British citizen + EU citizens.
    Hope it clarify things.

ReputationRep:
    How can we help exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Can you not complain to your vice chancelor or if not the funding bodies? If it really is as bad as you say then you and other students should consider legal action, if you win you may get your money back plus compensation for a lost year.

On my assingments the lecturers spend 15 minutes with you asking questions to how you coded it, last Christmas somebody was thrown of the course because he couldn't even explain what a while loop is yet he could program a fully fledged stock control management system in a 4 week time frame (it would probably take pros longer than that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Can you not complain to your vice chancelor or if not the funding bodies? If it really is as bad as you say then you and other students should consider legal action, if you win you may get your money back plus compensation for a lost year.

On my assingments the lecturers spend 15 minutes with you asking questions to how you coded it, last Christmas somebody was thrown of the course because he couldn't even explain what a while loop is yet he could program a fully fledged stock control management system in a 4 week time frame (it would probably take pros longer than that).
    How can I take legal action if I don't have legal funds?
    Coming to UK to study has already cost me a lot and it will be futile for me to sue the department as they got the resources($$) while I had none left (after spending on this lousy master degree)! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I urge all to boycott the Master in E-Commerce Technology course!

Few days ago, I emailed the Head of Department, Martin Henson, and told him that what he told me during the last time I made a complaint (Martin Henson mentioned that those who cheated in the assignments will not pass the examination!) was nonsense as all those cheated students did fail some or most of their exam papers but they were allow to pass!

Martin Henson straight away insulted me that I was making false allegation and mis-guiding his staffs (which is my lecturers)!

I utterly disappointed and I hope everyone will spread this thread to people so as to make them aware of this issue! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I urge all to boycott the Master in E-Commerce Technology course!

Few days ago, I emailed the Head of Department, Martin Henson, and told him that what he told me during the last time I made a complaint (Martin Henson mentioned that those who cheated in the assignments will not pass the examination!) was nonsense as all those cheated students did fail some or most of their exam papers but they were allow to pass!

Martin Henson straight away insulted me that I was making false allegation and mis-guiding his staffs (which is my lecturers)!

I utterly disappointed and I hope everyone will spread this thread to people so as to make them aware of this issue! :mad:
    Funny place Essex. Great name in social science research, which is generally deserved, and very crafty at squeezing high grades from teaching inspectors, but pretty ropey at everything else, as the above suggests.

ReputationRep:
    How can I take legal action if I don't have legal funds?
    Coming to UK to study has already cost me a lot and it will be futile for me to sue the department as they got the resources($$) while I had none left (after spending on this lousy master degree)! :mad:
    If you take them to small claims court you won't need funds, however this is too big for that. Have you thought of getting a petition together or contacting your paper?

When I was at college I aranged for all the entire class (30 of us) to sign a petition to get things changed, as a result one teacher was sacked and major changes were made.

ReputationRep:
    This is why Masters worry me and some employers couldn't care less if you have them! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    You could go to another university that offer a master's degree in e-commerce technology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    This is why Masters worry me and some employers couldn't care less if you have them! :eek:
    I guess it just depends on the university, but if I do a masters I will be very very picky about my choice of university and reading opinions here Essex is of my list.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk

In that website, you could find postgraduate courses.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.