The Student Room Group

About french Bac

Hello,
I received a conditional offer from UCL asking for a 17/20 in maths.
I'm doing the french Bac, scientific section with further maths.
Actually I don't know if the university knows that I'm doing the S Bac(scientific section)+further maths option and if they are aware of the difficulty of our maths exam.
The scientific (+further maths option)maths exam is the hardest one, harder than the 2 other sections exam. Achieving a 17 in the S+maths option is way harder than achieving a 17 in the arts section+maths option.

As I didn't explicitly tell them that I'm doing the S section, do you think I should call them and ask them to change the condition ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Is further maths a separate exam?
Reply 2
Not really. In fact, we ("further maths" students) have a different exercise (out of 4 exercises ) but the 3 others are the same for all the S Bac students.
Even the S no further maths exam is harder than the 2 other sections.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't think it'll make a difference. I'm French too and I can honestly tell you that it's not as hard as you think. They don't even grade it on 20 but on 24 so one of my teacher once told us that a student didn't finish his test and still got 20. Moreover teachers can't have an average of below 10 when they correct tests. If you think you won't be able to achieve 17 based on your grades during this year it's okay, you'll get a better grade, mock tests are often more difficult than the real thing. Work hard during this year and you'll be fine!
Reply 4
I know it's not that difficult and that 17 is doable but if it's possible to have a less stressful condition why not especially when your demand could be legitimate?:biggrin:

PS: the 24 grade scale was used in 2014 because many claimed that the maths exam was too difficult.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Max130
I know it's not that difficult and that 17 is doable but if it's possible to have a less stressful condition why not especially when your demand could be legitimate?:biggrin:

PS: the 24 grade scale was used in 2014 because many claimed that the maths exam was too difficult.

It is legitimate but UCL has a lot of applicants so since they've chosen to make YOU an offer, i don't think they'll lower it for now, it not like they don't have other candidates. If you have something like 15,5 or 16 after firming it, they'll maybe accept you anyway, especially if your grade overall is good. I really don't know, try eventually if you're not that confident but it's a very long shot imo. Good luck and contrats though!
Reply 6
Original post by Cecyl01
I don't think it'll make a difference. I'm French too and I can honestly tell you that it's not as hard as you think. They don't even grade it on 20 but on 24 so one of my teacher once told us that a student didn't finish his test and still got 20. Moreover teachers can't have an average of below 10 when they correct tests. If you think you won't be able to achieve 17 based on your grades during this year it's okay, you'll get a better grade, mock tests are often more difficult than the real thing. Work hard during this year and you'll be fine!

This, I was in ES and I found it incredibly easy despite my abysmal level in maths. It was 10 years ago (so the Bac wasn't as watered down as today); I finished in 45min (on 3h) and got 17.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending