Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ouch I just pawed through the prospectus to find that application offers for NatSci at Durham are AAA. Do you guys think that happens often? I was hoping for this as a 2nd choice, but it might be the highest offer I get! Hmmm it also says no interviews are conducted, do you reckon the "offers" themselves are easy to get?

Thnx a bunch!

ReputationRep:
    No... look at the average points score. For Law, they say AAA is a typical condi offer, but yet the average successful app has 27/8 points, which is between ABB and AAB. It is merely an escape to allow rejection of AAA candidates

ReputationRep:
    AAA offers are becoming more common now...decent but not top-tier universities like Leeds and Exeter are handing them out in reasonable numbers. However, they are more likely to let you in if you don't quite make the grades than other universities.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for NatSci and have recieved an offer of AAA in 3 specified subjects, which is even worse than AAA on its own (as i am doing 5 subjects). This renders 2 of my subjects worthless when it comes to the offer.

At the open day they told me that NatSci was so popular that everyones offer had to be AAA because of the sheer number of people.

Where would you be thinking of as your first choice for NatSci, Cambridge? because they give AAA offers too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valen)
    This renders 2 of my subjects worthless when it comes to the offer.
    Just shows you how it stupid to do sciences, languages students have it so much easier! I was offered BBB .. in the end I got me three A's but I didn't need a single one of them!

Ah well, for that to continue there needs to still be loadsa crazy people interested in science.

ReputationRep:
    well usually physics is quite low! Its just that Durham is no.1 at physics so its high at AAB! i would never put myself through languages it must be said. Im rubbish! having said that my hobby is to learn useless words in weird languages.

For instance:

'Warum'.........this is a german word but also means 'lump' in egyptian.

Good side to science subjects, a lot less 'homework' and essays, although you get more lectures...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, or when Italians watch football they scream "DAI!" til they are blue in the face .. sounds like "DIE!!!" to an English speaker, but means "COME ON!"

ReputationRep:
    anyone else know sum cool words I can add to my collection? sum Ibizarian would be gd for my holiday!

ReputationRep:
    NatSci at Durham is the single most oversubscribed course. But most of the people doing it aren't real scientists, they do the courses like anthropology etc.

I actually applied to do NatSci, but ended up transferring to Maths and Physics, which would have only asked for AAB, but I got AAA and got in on NatSci anyway .

ReputationRep:
    oooooh physics man! Im doing physics! Is there anything I should know before? Like any weird/nasty/cool lecturers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiamonds)
    oooooh physics man! Im doing physics! Is there anything I should know before? Like any weird/nasty/cool lecturers?
    Dr Ken Durose is a good lecturer, although his ramblings about GCHQ/MI5/SAS/etc tracking him do have hints of paranoia about them.

Dr Clarke looks a spitting image of Meatloaf

Dr Hatton (I think) is another very good lecturer, but his sarcasm can be a little too cutting at times.

ReputationRep:
    Is Dr Clarke the big scottish one? I thought of a more austin powers simirality if it is. seemed like a nice bloke if it is. Calmed us all down for our interview!

ReputationRep:
    Is Dr Clarke the big scottish one? I thought of a more austin powers simirality if it is. seemed like a nice bloke if it is. Calmed us all down for our interview!
    This is who I am thinking of http://www.dur.ac.uk/Physics/general..._staff_sjc.php

He was my tutor for my 1st year

ReputationRep:
    sum Ibizarian would be gd for my holiday!
    Well, I can teach you a few phrases in Spanish and Catalan...

ReputationRep:
    A very shrewd way of weeding out oxbridge acceptees If you an offer from oxbridge, it is most likely AAA/AAB. So you would never choose dur as 2nd choice.

ReputationRep:
    Professor Tom Shanks was the worst physics lecturer I had last year. He taught the module named classical mechanics (i.e. everything you did in GCSE ). His 'lectures' consisted of reading his notes out, 3 times, just in case you didn't hear him the first time. Sometimes he would underline them with his magical IT skillz . Most people stopped going to his lectures after the first few, and just downloaded the notes off DUO (Durham University Online, in case you didn't know).

Probally the best lecturer for the module Foundations of Physics was Dr Martin, he taught Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, and spent loads of time reciting anecdotes about famous physicists.

I'm not sure if the lecturers do the same courses each year, but while most of them have their quirks they are mostly okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    Professor Tom Shanks was the worst physics lecturer I had last year. He taught the module named classical mechanics (i.e. everything you did in GCSE ). His 'lectures' consisted of reading his notes out, 3 times, just in case you didn't hear him the first time. Sometimes he would underline them with his magical IT skillz . Most people stopped going to his lectures after the first few, and just downloaded the notes off DUO (Durham University Online, in case you didn't know).

Probally the best lecturer for the module Foundations of Physics was Dr Martin, he taught Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, and spent loads of time reciting anecdotes about famous physicists.

I'm not sure if the lecturers do the same courses each year, but while most of them have their quirks they are mostly okay.
    Oh, Prof Shanks...

Did he always refer to a book called Tipler?

He got so confused he lectured us for an hour on "Tiplers' Laws of planetary motion" as opposed to the rather more famous Kepler.

Not a good lecturer, but a very nice guy, so you shouldn't hold it against him that much. My favourite 1st year lecturer was Prof Pennington, who lectured us on Spec Rel, but he doesn't lecture 1st years at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Well seeing as I didn't bother to go to most of his lectures I don't know . I hear he is one of the leading experts in his field and I don't really blame him for not being enthusiastic while lecturing such a stupidly easy course.

Our special relativity lecturer was one of the greatest, Dr Tom Hase. His lecture course, entitled "The Muppets Guide to Special Relativity" was just brilliant .

ReputationRep:
    Our special relativity lecturer was one of the greatest, Dr Tom Hase. His lecture course, entitled "The Muppets Guide to Special Relativity" was just brilliant .
    Ahh wow!

Have now got a great image of the muppets demonstrating special relativity, and getting into loads of interesting scrapes along the way.

ReputationRep:
    I hear he is one of the leading experts in his field and I don't really blame him for not being enthusiastic while lecturing such a stupidly easy course.
    That is the major disadvantage of research unis such as Durham
    They hire people based on their research interests, not on their ability to explain that if you drop something, gravity makes it fall, to 18 year olds

If he was lecturing to a conference full of other profs on whatever bit of the sky he looks at, then I am sure he would be full of enthusiasm.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.