Computing foreign languages Watch

blanco
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi,
At year 1 computing you can choose to do a foreign language or AI. Which one do you like best? Which one is easiest? has less work load?
I like AI but prefer other things of the course and wouldnt like to take too much time in the AI coursework and things like that.
Spiker
Report 11 years ago
The option is either "Topics in AI" which is partially a presentation exercise (you have to write webpages and give a short talk on a subject in the AI realm) or a foreign language. Speaking honestly, Topics is probably more fun and has a slightly lower workload than a language course. Also note you get plenty of time for Topics, whereas the language course is two terms.
RObTRIP
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
topics in AI is definitely easier, there a few lectures on the various topics if i remember correctly and then from there its really easy to do it

only choose the foreign language course if you want to learn it for yourself, otherwise you'll hate going to the lectures during your lunch hours and will most probably get a rubbish grade
fais
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Topics is by far the easier (and most popular).

The freedom you get in terms of subject matter does depend on your designated tutor/specialty though. And of course how the others in your group work will make a big difference in how easy it is to put it all together in the end.
Babyangel452
Report 11 years ago
TOPICS is defnitely the way forward... I know a couple of people who took up german and french, bt the majority of us did the Topics option.

you got 11 weeks to create a website and give a presentation... the hardest part about that would just be actually getting ur group to work together, and doing a decent presentation!
xaxa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The hardest part is finding a day when no one is drunk...
Xordan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unless you really really want to do a language, go for Topics in AI as the others said. Me and my other group member did our whole project in two days and got an A... so it's really really easy as you can tell. Also, it (along with the Prolog) gives you an idea as to whether you want to study AI in your other years!
andrikkos
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Could you be a little more specific what the Topics in AI covers? What kind of website did you have to build? What about the preseniation? What is it about? I'm in a huge dilemma, cause If I choose to take a language it will be French, which I am familiar with, quite a lot I'd say.
ashy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Xordan)
Unless you really really want to do a language, go for Topics in AI as the others said. Me and my other group member did our whole project in two days and got an A... so it's really really easy as you can tell. Also, it (along with the Prolog) gives you an idea as to whether you want to study AI in your other years!
To be fair, you hardly ever went to lectures and you seemed to know everything already :p:

Not that I paid that much attention....
Xordan
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by andrikkos)
Could you be a little more specific what the Topics in AI covers? What kind of website did you have to build? What about the preseniation? What is it about? I'm in a huge dilemma, cause If I choose to take a language it will be French, which I am familiar with, quite a lot I'd say.
Well.. it covers a lot There's 8 topics you could get given, some more fun than others (Agents and Robotics stuff being the more fun, logic being the worst..). You've got 11 weeks or so to do a load of research on your given topic, create a website aimed at the technical user, and then stand up with your group members in front of 30-40 other people also doing their presentations and give a presentation on it! There's prizes and stuff they give out too. You can look at mine as an example if you like. Click my sig and the link is the top one on my 'links' page.

The topics are (at least for last year):

Logic Programming (boo),
Automated Reasoning (boo),
Cognitive Robotics (yay),
Logic in AI and in Agent Systems (boo),
Evolutionary Algorithms (yay),
Agents (yay),
Multi-Agent Systems (yay),
Computer Vision (yay).

Oh yeah, the project is worth up to 50 out of 850 points for the year. So nearly as much as a whole exam. If you do language, then you get up to 50pts for that.

ashy: Yeah well, won't be able to do that this year! For most of it anyway :P
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
pfft boy genius :p:

I will miss the ham sandwiches with beetroot and the 3am pizzas.
fais
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Xordan: CogRob ftw!

ashy: 3am pizzas? Where?

*searched and searched (in vain) for anywhere that's still open (and delivers) at that time*

(Am probably faultily assuming it wasn't readymade :/)
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by fais)
Xordan: CogRob ftw!

ashy: 3am pizzas? Where?

*searched and searched (in vain) for anywhere that's still open (and delivers) at that time*

(Am probably faultily assuming it wasn't readymade :/)
lol his freezer compartment and an oven? It was legendary.
blanco
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by ashy)
lol his freezer compartment and an oven? It was legendary.
Thanks a lot for the info!
ashy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
not that i meant to hijack that thread or anything....:eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
    Sat, 14 Sep '19

Are you chained to your phone?