Predicted grades compared to AS grades

Watch
Jaitrip
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So i am applying for universities this year. Im applying to uni's like UCL and kings which have target grades of (A*AA to AAB). My AS Grades were EUDE due to extenuating circumstances for the duration of my exams. I have showed huge improvement and my teachers know im smarter compared to my AS grades. In result my predicted grades are AAB/AAC (not final). Will my AS grades detriment the likelihood of getting offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
oliviahall1_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sorry to tell you this but I definately think they could hinder your chance. Although it does depend on the University. I am applying to Uni this year and have spoken to quite a few who say that they take into account AS grades more so than predicted grades, due to that fact that AS grades are more likely to be realistic. However, I honestly think that if you really work hard and gain good A2 grades, you could always phone Unis on results day and explain your situation.

Again, I think they could hinder you, but your cicumstances at the time of the exams will definitely be taken into account. Hope this helps a little
Jaitrip
Rep:
?
(Original post by oliviahall1_)
I'm sorry to tell you this but I definately think they could hinder your chance. Although it does depend on the University. I am applying to Uni this year and have spoken to quite a few who say that they take into account AS grades more so than predicted grades, due to that fact that AS grades are more likely to be realistic. However, I honestly think that if you really work hard and gain good A2 grades, you could always phone Unis on results day and explain your situation.

Again, I think they could hinder you, but your cicumstances at the time of the exams will definitely be taken into account. Hope this helps a little
That kinda sucks :/
Thanks good luck with A2!

Posted from TSR Mobile
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jaitrip)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I d say seriously consider a gap year, universities will only consider ecs to so much of an extent and may find those predictions to be unrealistic. At least that way you can apply with good grades in hand
oliviahall1_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't get down about it! Again, I have only spoken to a small number of universities but that is the general vibe I got. Although, depending on the severity of your circumstances your school should have mentioned it either on your UCAS app or your academic reference. Don't give up. If you achieve your predicted grades and you phone the Uni on results tell, explain the situation, they are likely to consider you if their course is not full
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Teacher predictions can vary by so much but there is nothing to stop you getting your A level grades and then apply through adjustment or clearing depending on what decisions you make next. Or there are gap years. You still have plenty of options

Unis will take extenuating circumstances into account but they need to know you'll cope with their courses.
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So i am apply for universities this year. Im applying to uni's like UCL and kings which have target grades of (A*AA to AAB). My AS Grades were EUDE due to extenuating circumstances for the duration of my exams. I have showed huge improvement and my teachers know im smarter compared to AS grades. In result my predicted grades are AAB/AAC (not final). Will my AS grades detriment the likelihood of getting offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
They will take them into account, but considering the gap between your achieved grades and predicted grades i doubt you will be successful. Taking a gap and applying with your achieved grades would be a good option, especially if you exceed you predicted grades.

Good luck
Jaitrip
Rep:
?
(Original post by HopelessMedic)
They will take them into account, but considering the gap between your achieved grades and predicted grades i doubt you will be successful. Taking a gap and applying with your achieved grades would be a good option, especially if you exceed you predicted grades.

Good luck
Although i agree that a gap year may aid me but i plan to apply to try my chances. If i don't get offers i can still call the universities on result day. But if not i can take a gap year. I think its worth a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although i agree that a gap year may aid me but i plan to apply to try my chances. If i don't get offers i can still call the universities on result day. But if not i can take a gap year. I think its worth a try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's worth a try but don't apply to unis asking for more than BBB.

The gap between your AS grades and predicted grades is too much, even BBB is a stretch.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I agree that you would be extremely lucky to receive offers from the likes of UCL and King's.

You won't lose anything by trying this year, but make sure you understand the Adjustment and Clearing procedures if you want to go down those routes. However, I suspect that you would be far better served by a gap year.
Sayed0123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
UCL doesn't require AS Levels but I think that they do look at them if you have them. If you're applying for a maths related course they ask for your maths AS ums as well.

They will probably think that your predicted grades are a bit unrealistic if they see yourAS.
Jaitrip
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamestg)
It's worth a try but don't apply to unis asking for more than BBB.

The gap between your AS grades and predicted grades is too much, even BBB is a stretch.
Although there is a big difference, i had extenuating circumstances. I know people who got DDD or CDD at AS but have applied with high predicted grades and already have offers from uni's that are asking for AAB. It is still possible, no point limiting myself to uni's that are BBB

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Although there is a big difference, i had extenuating circumstances. I know people who got DDD or CDD at AS but have applied with high predicted grades and already have offers from uni's that are asking for AAB. It is still possible, no point limiting myself to uni's that are BBB

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is a point in limiting yourself, no matter what the ECs were - there is a huge difference. Assuming you're taking on the subjects you got DEE in - that is 10 grades worth of improvement which many unis would see as unrealistic.

Take King's College for example, 63% of applicants get an offer. UCL - 44%. Your chances of getting an offer from them are very very small, they clearly reject many people who meet the requirements.

UCL also ask for A*AA which your predictions don't even meet, that would require 12 grades of improvement.

I really don't like being brutal but there is no point whatsoever in applying to UCL, KCL is a very big stretch and most RGs will be tough to get into.
Fadel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't think the uni would take a risk and give you an offer, especially that you're applying to unis which thousands of A* students apply to.
D star
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I hope this is some what good news but due to the changes, such as the linear exams not all unis take into acount As as much such as birmingham as not all schools do it, so dont get too down, my grades were not good at all (mainly Cs) and i got predicted 3 As and a B.Within a week of me getting my ucas sent off i have gotten 3 offers from quite good unis majority top 20 (such as east anglia which ranked 9th for my suject) . Dont get too down, your personal statement and your refernces all do make a big impact, just work hard this year!
Abstract_Prism
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's not your AS grades that are holding you back, it's your predictions. Because you have extenuating circumstances universities should overlook your AS grades. But your predictions do not meet the requirements for the course. Anyone whose predictions do not meet course requirements are at a disadvantage, even if you had extenuating circumstances because your teachers should have taken this into account when making your predictions.

Get higher predictions if you can.
Jaitrip
Rep:
?
(Original post by D star)
Hey, I hope this is some what good news but due to the changes, such as the linear exams not all unis take into acount As as much such as birmingham as not all schools do it, so dont get too down, my grades were not good at all (mainly Cs) and i got predicted 3 As and a B.Within a week of me getting my ucas sent off i have gotten 3 offers from quite good unis majority top 20 (such as east anglia which ranked 9th for my suject) . Dont get too down, your personal statement and your refernces all do make a big impact, just work hard this year!
Thanks! I have also heard this from many people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Jaitrip
Rep:
?
(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
It's not your AS grades that are holding you back, it's your predictions. Because you have extenuating circumstances universities should overlook your AS grades. But your predictions do not meet the requirements for the course. Anyone whose predictions do not meet course requirements are at a disadvantage, even if you had extenuating circumstances because your teachers should have taken this into account when making your predictions.

Get higher predictions if you can.
My predictions meet the requirements for all of my choices except ucl. I will be talking to my physics teacher about increasing my predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
jamestg
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My predictions meet the requirements for all of my choices except ucl. I will be talking to my physics teacher about increasing my predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Getting your predictions higher will be counterproductive, it will do the complete opposite of making your application stronger.
azizadil1998
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Are the subjects you took reformed on unreformed A Levels? If they are reformed then uni's don't look at your AS because you wouldn't have taken a 'real' exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (91)
13.85%
I'm not sure (30)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (212)
32.27%
I have already dropped out (14)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (310)
47.18%

Watched Threads