Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Oxford recently started rejecting people without interview....my friend applied there for medicine....4As at AS and a string of A*s and As at GCSE...no interview.

G
    It must be quite a shock for them after getting good grades in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faa)
    Just been on the phone to oxford "concentrate on your a levels, dont worry about your gcses) hehe gd gd
    Fair enough then....just make sure you get v good grades for AS...and have a really personal statement.

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    It must be quite a shock for them after getting good grades in the past.
    Yeah..he was really really annoyed about it. Ah well..such is life..

G

ReputationRep:
    All unis look at your GCSE results which I have always thought was quite unfair - what does it matter how well you did in the past, surely it should be how well you are doing now.

Oxford recently started rejecting people without interview....my friend applied there for medicine....4As at AS and a string of A*s and As at GCSE...no interview.

G
    Blimey. Sounds like Oxford's becoming the next LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    All unis look at your GCSE results which I have always thought was quite unfair - what does it matter how well you did in the past, surely it should be how well you are doing now.
    But unis (especially the ones that don't interview) don't have much to go on as to whether you'd be suitable for their course or not, so they need all the info they can get. Plus, GCSEs are the only qualifications you have when you apply to uni.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah..he was really really annoyed about it. Ah well..such is life..

G
    Yeah, it makes me glad I did so little work for my GCSEs.

(Original post by Chubb)
    Well, GCSEs aren't that far into the past. Granted, I didn't take them seriously, but I can see why universities at least want to look at them. It's not like they're asking for your English and Maths scores from when you were 8 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    But unis (especially the ones that don't interview) don't have much to go on as to whether you'd be suitable for their course or not, so they need all the info they can get. Plus, GCSEs are the only qualifications you have when you apply to uni.
    Well said...not just a pretty face...but we already knew that!!

Yeah...GCSe's and AS results are the only real indication of academic achievement and thus potential for non-interviewing unis...so they have to use them.

G

ReputationRep:
    Well said...not just a pretty face...
    There's a wall as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it makes me glad I did so little work for my GCSEs.
    I dunno if it's just me...but apart from revising for this years A-levels....the next hardest year for me in terms of work was year 7!!! I found every other year in school relatively easy going?? :confused:

G

ReputationRep:
    There's a wall as well.
    Don't worry..i could never forget the wall!!

G

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry..i could never forget the wall!!

G
    Hehe.

ReputationRep:

G
    That may be something to do with the score they got on the BMAT though.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno if it's just me...but apart from revising for this years A-levels....the next hardest year for me in terms of work was year 7!!! I found every other year in school relatively easy going?? :confused:

G
    I dunno...I tend to measure how hard a year was on how much trouble I got into at school, not on how difficult the work was. I made my schoolwork easy-going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Yeh point taken but I thought that we had out AS results before they got back to us. :confused:

The problem is is that at my high school all the good teachers ran of half way through out GCSEs.
    eg.
    Geography teacher had a nevous breakdown and we had no real teacher for 3 months then a crap sub after that
    Physics teacher left and was replaced by a crap teacher
    IT teacher didn't even know what WinZip was

As a result everyones grades were no where near as high as they should have been (there was only 1 A in Gepgraphy and there should have been about 15 - with me being 1 of them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Yeh point taken but I thought that we had out AS results before they got back to us. :confused:
    AS results are generally more important, but the thing is not everyone chooses to declare them, and they don't actually have to. Some schools even have their students sit all their AS + A2 exams at the end of the Upper Sixth, so there's nothing to declare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Problem with these is...almost everyone applying to oxbridge has straight As...so they look at GCSEs as a secondary indication of potential.

G

ReputationRep:
    AS results are generally more important, but the thing is not everyone chooses to declare them, and they don't actually have to. Some schools even have their students sit all their AS + A2 exams at the end of the Upper Sixth, so there's nothing to declare.
    We were told that you didn't have to declare them but it was best to because if you don't then they think you are hiding something so even if you've done badly still show them.

Problem with these is...almost everyone applying to oxbridge has straight As...so they look at GCSEs as a secondary indication of potential.

G
    Yeh good point. Though I do hope that the personaly and PS of the applicant would count for more. After all whats more important to an employer?

ReputationRep:
    E&M is the most competitive big course at Oxford, so unless you had a very good reason for your GCSE results then perhaps you will have a problem or be questioned about them. If you can get strong As at AS level then maybe you will have a decent shot. At an LSE open day it was said that they rarely make offers to applicants with less than 5 A*s (crikey!) so Oxbridge aside you may have trouble at other top universities, unless of course there were extenuating circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    What if......'someone' :rolleyes: ............was predicted to get all A*s at GCSE, and be the saviour of the College, the one who gets in all the newspapers for being the cleverst kid in the world ever and stuff, but they decided they didn't like all the hype and pressure so thought to themselves 'f*** it' - did no revision whatsoever and no work towards the end of the year at all.....coming out with 1A* 4A 4B 1C?

Will the fact they were predicted to do a lot better be an advantage or a hinderance to the Oxbrdige application process?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.