Fnt1klo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am not creative. Therefore I was thinking, for my creative writing I will try to write a story beforehand and try to fit my story in one of the 4 options which are given in my gcse English exam. Anyone does this or is it a stupid idea?
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am taking my English GCSE next year, and I also struggle with creative writing - plotwise, and with writing style. I have thought of this, however obviously it's always a risk relying on it in case the options don't match the story (hopefully it will in some way).

I asked my teacher about this yesterday, and she told me that the majority of the marks go for how it is written. Obviously there are marks for plot too, but the main focus is the quality of writing.

I am planning to do this, however I am going to try and come up with many different ideas, or one idea that could go many different ways. Maybe you could make a brainstorm, and try to write a story using it, linking different ideas together?

I think it's a good idea, particularly if you struggle with coming up with a plot, but it should not be your only plan. You should do lots of practise questions so you get used to it, and revise creative writing techniques too.

You might want to try reading short stories - maybe even on something like Wattpad because there are lots of short stories, and although they are not always written amazingly, they are quick and easy to read, and might give you more plot ideas.

Good luck!
Fnt1klo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
I am taking my English GCSE next year, and I also struggle with creative writing - plotwise, and with writing style. I have thought of this, however obviously it's always a risk relying on it in case the options don't match the story (hopefully it will in some way).

I asked my teacher about this yesterday, and she told me that the majority of the marks go for how it is written. Obviously there are marks for plot too, but the main focus is the quality of writing.

I am planning to do this, however I am going to try and come up with many different ideas, or one idea that could go many different ways. Maybe you could make a brainstorm, and try to write a story using it, linking different ideas together?

I think it's a good idea, particularly if you struggle with coming up with a plot, but it should not be your only plan. You should do lots of practise questions so you get used to it, and revise creative writing techniques too.

You might want to try reading short stories - maybe even on something like Wattpad because there are lots of short stories, and although they are not always written amazingly, they are quick and easy to read, and might give you more plot ideas.

Good luck!
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?