This discussion is closed.
MATrickett
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Apologies if in my first post I've posted to the wrong board on this forum. Anyway, I'm in the midst of creating a speculative CV for potential jobs in the US (but also Canada). I'm not at the moment worrying about the difficulty of this move, nor for the most part the differences between the countries. In preparing the CV I thought that it might be ease be useful to have a US/Canada-UK degree equivalency...

So, are there established 'conversions' between US/Canda-UK universities? Based upon discussions with American students a GPA~3.8 happens to translate to around the 2:1 level?

What about the Masters level of education? Is there a GPA equivalence for the UK Fail/Pass/Distinction?

Thank you for your time.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MATrickett)
Apologies if in my first post I've posted to the wrong board on this forum. Anyway, I'm in the midst of creating a speculative CV for potential jobs in the US (but also Canada). I'm not at the moment worrying about the difficulty of this move, nor for the most part the differences between the countries. In preparing the CV I thought that it might be ease be useful to have a US/Canada-UK degree equivalency...

So, are there established 'conversions' between US/Canda-UK universities? Based upon discussions with American students a GPA~3.8 happens to translate to around the 2:1 level?

What about the Masters level of education? Is there a GPA equivalence for the UK Fail/Pass/Distinction?

Thank you for your time.
Firstly, there are a number of companies in the US that take academic transcripts from non US colleges and convert them to the US model. Not cheap, but recommendable.

On the subject of US "RESUMES" all I can tell you is to keep them short. ONE PAGE is often recommended. DO NOT put your age or national origin (very taboo in the US to put this on a resume) and DON'T go on about your hobbies (the fact that you are a keen thespian is unlikely to be of any interest to a US employer)
MATrickett
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
First off, thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions. Always welcome when you post to a forum for the first time.

With that said, do you have URLs for the aforesaid companies? I've 'googled' for a while but found no obvious possibilities given the keywords that I've used. Yes, I'm afraid that I wish to be 'spoon-fed' in this instance!

As to the length of the resume, I'm most aware of that horrific little fact. Indeed, I'm just as worried about 'density' of the little begger... <sigh> With that said, however, how cut and lose is the one page limit in your estimation? I ask merely because in including relevant features (even just education) you take up most of a page. If you then include publications, related skills, etc.... Well, the picture is obvious.

(Incidentally, 'hobbies' are merely represented as an addendum. Something which is there to show flexibility than as a definitive representative of 'who' I am...)

One question that does spring to mind, however, is the conversion of UK to US Masters. While in the UK you have the discrete Fail/Pass/Distinction situation, how are they are measured in the US? If they are graded, would a 'good pass' still count towards the association of 2:1~GPA 3.8? Or does some other scheme apply?

As always, thank you for taking the time to read and respond to this thread.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (5)
6.58%
Confident (11)
14.47%
Indifferent (13)
17.11%
Unsure (20)
26.32%
Worried (27)
35.53%

Watched Threads

Latest