Turn on thread page Beta

Problem: A' Level Results Certificate Requirement watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm off to study BSc Psychology with Neuroscience at Westminster- I've been sent a letter giving me details of what I need to bring in when enrolling- the list includes certificates of GCSEs/ A' Levels.

I have my most recent Exam result statements for Bio and Chem taken this year - but my for my other A' Level results taken in 2002... I didn't go to collect my certificates (and I can only find one of my result statements- English Lit.)

I will have to ofcourse email the exam boards and pay to be sent certificates, but this will take 28 days.

Will Westminster REALLY require to see these certificates? I have attended university before at a University of London uni, (but I didn't complete the degree) - and they didn't ask to see any results.

Has anyone else encountered the requirement for tangible proof of results on enrolment day?

ReputationRep:
    Not heard of this before .. surely this would have been checked before they offered you a place

ReputationRep:
    I got in through clearing...

ReputationRep:
    If you didn’t pick up your certificates then the college you went to might still have it? You should give them a call.

ReputationRep:
    I think that colleges only keep them for a year, then uncollected ones are destroyed. I had a similar problem and I had to get copies of my certificates for uni, although I was never actually asked to show them to anyone, certainly not on enrolement day. I'd imagine that if they do want to see them, you could explain the situation and as long as you showed them to someone at some point there won't be a problem.

I know when I sent off for mine it only took a week or so, but that was in February/March time when the boards weren't too busy. It was expensive though, I think £30 per exam board.

ReputationRep:
    Chuckle might be fun getting mine from 1989

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeedsLad)
    You should be able to get them if you can remember your exam board (and you know what they've become, as they all amalgamated into either AQA or Edexcel). However, you don't actually get a certificate, you get something that looks exactly the same but says 'statement of results, this is not a certificate' on it. Since it does exactly the same thing I have no idea why they can't just issue you with something that says certificate ...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thats interesting and I bet you have to pay for them .. not that I have ever needed them at 35 as employers dont care

ReputationRep:
    Hmm thats interesting and I bet you have to pay for them .. not that I have ever needed them at 35 as employers dont care
    Yep, when I got them a few years ago it was something like thirty-odd pounds per exam board, which was a real bugger because I took my A-Levels in the days before there were just two, and I had to fork out three times to get the certificates I needed.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey ... I never did A Levels as I chose to go fighting wars around the world ... I wonder how much money I would have to fork out

ReputationRep:
    Check with your parents, I never picked mine up - turns out the school had either posted them or given them to my younger brother and my parents had put them away safe (my mother doesn't chuck things out - this was 8 years later)

ReputationRep:
    Can you tell me where my parents are lol ...

I spoke to my Course leader and apparantly I will put together a Portfolio and you do not have to have quals and she thinks that my experience once I have written it will mean that I will only need to complete 1 year .. not sure whether this is for old war dogs like me tho lol

ReputationRep:
    I`ve got an unconditional offer from Queen Mary, but they want to see my A level certificates. I took them in 1972, so it looks like I`m spending the day searching the house. Must have them somewhere. Hopefully I won`t need them as QM is my insurance. Access course results on Wednesday, so fingers crossed.

ReputationRep:
    I actually had my GCE certificate from 1965 ----- but they didn't put grades on them then, so I have no idea now of my actual grades. But that didn't prove a problem - in my application to Cambridge I just said that, and all was ok. For my A levels the certificate did have grades.

ReputationRep:
    I found copies of my certificates, but not the originals. My O levels from `69 and `70 don`t have grades on them either. My 4 A levels are on one certificate, so hopefully only one fee to pay if the copy is not enough.

ReputationRep:
    I am applying through UCAS this year and I am 31. I don't have any of my GCSE or A level certificates from 1992/1994 but I called my school and they were really helpful! They sent me a letter confirming my grades, dates taken, subjects and the exam boards (old and new) for each. I am applying through UCAS now to UCL, Goldsmiths, City, RHUL and Westminster and I am going to email all of them to confirm whether they will accept a letter from my school as proof or whether I will need copies of all of them....9 GCSES and 4 ALEVELS at around £30 a pop, I would rather they didn't it will cost me a small fortune Anyway try calling your old school....they should have them....hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychobot)
    I'm off to study BSc Psychology with Neuroscience at Westminster- I've been sent a letter giving me details of what I need to bring in when enrolling- the list includes certificates of GCSEs/ A' Levels.

I have my most recent Exam result statements for Bio and Chem taken this year - but my for my other A' Level results taken in 2002... I didn't go to collect my certificates (and I can only find one of my result statements- English Lit.)

I will have to ofcourse email the exam boards and pay to be sent certificates, but this will take 28 days.

Will Westminster REALLY require to see these certificates? I have attended university before at a University of London uni, (but I didn't complete the degree) - and they didn't ask to see any results.

Has anyone else encountered the requirement for tangible proof of results on enrolment day?
    My friend got a letter stating the same that they need tangiable proof of results(academic)on enrolement day for her degree course

You will also require some proof of your academic qualifications even if you got a place through Clearing.
    They usually require the original certificates if possiable so that they can check with UCAS form of each applicant they have given places to.To see if the applicant has the required qualifications in order to do the degree.I know when i went they had a list of students names and what qualifications they need to see

The only way you are going to get around this if you contact the relevant Exam board and ask for the revelant A level Certificates which you are in the process of doing, and explain to them why u need proof or even ask for a statement of results from the exam board for the time being.I do realise that it was some time ago you did these qualifications however they should still have a record somewhere in the Exam board of what grades and subjects you did with them in 2002
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakBrannigan)
    My friend got a letter stating the same that they need tangiable proof of results(academic)on enrolement day for her degree course

You will also require some proof of your academic qualifications even if you got a place through Clearing.
    They usually require the original certificates if possiable so that they can check with UCAS form of each applicant they have given places to.To see if the applicant has the required qualifications in order to do the degree.I know when i went they had a list of students names and what qualifications they need to see

The only way you are going to get around this if you contact the relevant Exam board and ask for the revelant A level Certificates which you are in the process of doing, and explain to them why u need proof or even ask for a statement of results from the exam board for the time being.I do realise that it was some time ago you did these qualifications however they should still have a record somewhere in the Exam board of what grades and subjects you did with them in 2002
    :yep:
    I'm a 2nd year now. Last Sept I showed the enrolment staff statements of results and they were fine with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psychobot)
    I'm a 2nd year now. Last Sept I showed the enrolment staff statements of results and they were fine with that.
    do apologise didnt look at the date posted,glad that you sorted it out and it didnt affect your studies.hows it going anyway? :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakBrannigan)
    do apologise didnt look at the date posted,glad that you sorted it out and it didnt affect your studies.hows it going anyway? :yep:
    It's going very well thank you. Hard work, juggling many things at once - but I'm enjoying stretching myself!

:juggle:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.