Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Been putting off going to the dentist for a long while & finally have decided I need to get it sorted out as my teeth are suffering!

I have a clicking jaw that I am sure is caused by my teeth not meeting properly. Plus, I had braces on from 13-15/16 & the teeth have gone back to how they were.

Problem is cost. I am still a student, but as I live with my bf & he works full time, I am not eliagable to receive any discounts. I'm worried how much it is going to cost if I have to have braces on again (which it looks like I will do).

Then there is a problem of finding a dentist. How do I go about doing this?

Does anyone have a rough cost of how much it is on total to have braces checked or just for a checkup?

Ta!

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely go get seen. If you are prepared to go to a dental hospital and allow a student to work on you its free .

ReputationRep:
    I think students can get free dental treatment with a HC1 form (I do anyway).

http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/HC1_form_intro.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xeonman9000)
    I think students can get free dental treatment with a HC1 form (I do anyway).

http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/HC1_form_intro.htm
    I am not eliagable for it. Unfortunatly not all students can get it. Depends on household income I think (so they take into account my bf). Anyway, I have applied & can't get anything.

ReputationRep:
    to the op, i am in exactly the same position, had braces before but teeth have now gone back, and not eligible for any discount on the HC1. i have finally booked an appoiuntment with locale dentist as i want my teeth done again, i have been told that check up will be 30 pounds and then i will be told about treatment and coats, but i still need to know how much it will cost to have braces

Under the NHS pricing system costs are £15.50, £42.40 or £189.00 depending on the extent of your treatment so it might fall into the highest band if you have an NHS dentist.

ReputationRep:
    OP - Im pretty sure they won't (or shouldn't) take into account your bf's income - for all anyone knows he could just be a flatmate or a friend, or you could be his lodger.

I could be wrong but check it out

ReputationRep:
    NHS dentists are a NIGHTMARE to get into around here - try the NHS website hwich has a database of all surgeries accepting new patients.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.