Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

basically i've been thinking it over in these holidays as to what i will choose to do when i return to my sixth form. I got ACCE, im hoping to do 2 re-sits to improve the 2 C's as they were only 3 marks away from a B, and im hoping to drop the subject i got the E on.
    My question is that this was my first year of AS, is it okay for me to just drop the subject i got the E on , would Universties frown upon it? Or can i say i just did'nt enjoy the subject as much as i thought i would ? It's just that the E is bothering me lol ..I've already contacted the Universites that i wish to apply to and asked them about my remaining subjects and if they are fine to study the degree i wish to and they said they were fine subjects.
    But does the E be counted on A2?...

I'm not sure whether or not you can miss out the E grade on your application. I'm pretty sure you can although it would be a good idea to check with your school. I'd drop the subject you got an E in and concentrate on doing well in your other 3 A levels. You could even take up another AS level that you think you might do well in/enjoy. What do you want to do at university? What subjects are you taking? If you don't mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English Literature, Law and Sociology and the subject i wish to drop is History. I hope to do an English degree at University

Sounds like a good combination of subjects to have. History can be pretty hard going. Why don't you carry on with the first 3 and perhaps retake your AS in History? Unless you really dislike the subject. I just think it puts you at an advantage to have 3 A levels and 1 AS (although it isn't always a requirement; many unis just want 3 full A levels). Definitely work hard for English Lit if you want to do it at degree level (I've learnt it's very competitive!). Don't retake History if you think the work load will be too much. All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    Sounds like a good combination of subjects to have. History can be pretty hard going. Why don't you carry on with the first 3 and perhaps retake your AS in History? Unless you really dislike the subject. I just think it puts you at an advantage to have 3 A levels and 1 AS (although it isn't always a requirement; many unis just want 3 full A levels). Definitely work hard for English Lit if you want to do it at degree level (I've learnt it's very competitive!). Don't retake History if you think the work load will be too much. All the best.
    Thanks Laus
    My head of sixth form teacher said that even an E grade is good becuase its still classfied as a pass and gives you 20 points at AS.
    I would have done re-sits for History if i did'nt need to take the other 2 re-sits. But i know if i was to re-sit History a well it may just drag my other grades down and i know with my other 3 Alevels i can at least achieve ABB at A2

Sounds good to me. Your teacher is right, an E is still a pass and every UCAS point counts. I hope you get the grades you want/need. I'm not sure if it was you that repped me... if it was, thanks

You have to declare every qualification, if you dont the university could withdraw their offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laus)
    Sounds good to me. Your teacher is right, an E is still a pass and every UCAS point counts. I hope you get the grades you want/need. I'm not sure if it was you that repped me... if it was, thanks
    Thanx! hehe it was me who repped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirstinx)
    You have to declare every qualification, if you dont the university could withdraw their offer.
    if you decline the grade though, you don't have to declare it. do you?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.