The Student Room Group

Which Antivirus do you use?

Poll

Which Antivirus do you use?

Hi all,

I just got inspiration to make this thread, as it has always been a question as to "which antivirus is the best?". So, this thread is for discussing antivirus software. I have made it so that you can choose multiple answers on the poll, but please only do this if you use 2 antivirus software at the same time (E.g. - Windows Defender + Malware Bytes).

Personally, I only use Windows 10's Windows Defender as I've found it to be sufficient. :smile:

Related Threads:

Which Operating System do you use?

Which web browser do you use?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I use AVG antivirus
Reply 2
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
I use AVG antivirus

I heard that AVG Antivirus is very resource-heavy, is this true?
I used to use AVG, but there is loads of bloatware on there now, so I don't use an antivirus at all anymore.
Norton :h:
Reply 5
Original post by NotNotBatman
I used to use AVG, but there is loads of bloatware on there now, so I don't use an antivirus at all anymore.

Yeah I heard that AVG has started to have a lot of bloatware on it. I've also heard that they're resorting to selling user's information, is that true? :redface:

Original post by retro_turtles

I used to use Norton but its warnings always scared me. :h:
Original post by AshEntropy
Yeah I heard that AVG has started to have a lot of bloatware on it. I've also heard that they're resorting to selling user's information, is that true? :redface:

warnings like what?
Reply 7
warnings like what?

When I had Norton, if it thought it detected malware, it used to pop up a screen at the bottom right of my desktop with a red flashing warning and a lady would say "Warning: Norton has detected a virus!" and it always used to scare me hahaha
Avast! on Chrome, Windows Defender for everything else.
None. I have a Macbook and in my experience, anti-virus software is not necessary, as long as you keep up with the updates for your OS and stay away from dodgy websites.
Reply 10
Original post by eruditeprincess
Avast! on Chrome, Windows Defender for everything else.

I've always wondered, is it safe to use 2 antiviruses at once like that - or can it cause confusion between the two?

Yeah, I heard about that, I think they were selling browsing history data to make money, if they have a free service (which isn't that good really), they're gonna have to make their money somehow.

I'd rather have the virus than Norton or McAfee even. Does it not slow down your computer and detect threats that aren't even there? Because it did when I had it a few years ago.
When I had Norton, if it thought it detected malware, it used to pop up a screen at the bottom right of my desktop with a red flashing warning and a lady would say "Warning: Norton has detected a virus!" and it always used to scare me hahaha

I have never gotten that before... i've been using it since 2009
I've always wondered, is it safe to use 2 antiviruses at once like that - or can it cause confusion between the two?

Avast! only works on Chrome for me as it's an extension, and I've had no issue with using both as I don't do much beyond my work and browsing the internet on my laptop currently, so the two exist concurrently. I've never had any problems with the two.
Reply 14
Does it not slow down your computer and detect threats that aren't even there? Because it did when I had it a few years ago.

This is why I started to just use Windows 10's Windows Defender - those antiviruses seemed to use SO MANY resources and detected things as viruses that clearly weren't.. another issue was that it used quite a lot of internet, which made me suspicious so I got rid of them haha.

Original post by eruditeprincess
Avast! only works on Chrome for me as it's an extension, and I've had no issue with using both as I don't do much beyond my work and browsing the internet on my laptop currently, so the two exist concurrently. I've never had any problems with the two.

If you've had no issues then that's great! :smile:
This is why I started to just use Windows 10's Windows Defender - those antiviruses seemed to use SO MANY resources and detected things as viruses that clearly weren't.. another issue was that it used quite a lot of internet, which made me suspicious so I got rid of them haha.

If you've had no issues then that's great! :smile:

I turned off windows Defender, I can't remember why though. I know, in crash dump files, the cause of BSODs many times has been antiviruses. McAfee and Norton are the worst, purposefully "detecting" viruses, so that you think they're working, when it's doing absolutely nothing, it's also terrible if you're gaming, from my experience with it a few years ago. What do you mean by used quite a lot of Internet? :smile:
Reply 17
I turned off windows Defender, I can't remember why though. I know, in crash dump files, the cause of BSODs many times has been antiviruses. McAfee and Norton are the worst, purposefully "detecting" viruses, so that you think they're working, when it's doing absolutely nothing, it's also terrible if you're gaming, from my experience with it a few years ago. What do you mean by used quite a lot of Internet? :smile:

Windows Defender sometimes gets suspicious of video games (especially Steam), but that has all been fixed now. :smile:
Ah, when I say that Norton / McAfee "used lots of internet", I meant that they were sending a lot of information outwards. If I had Glasswire open (a program that lets you see where your outward/inward connections are going to) a lot of it was going to Norton / McAfee's servers which made me suspicious of the whole "selling your browsing history, etc" thing - so I got rid of them.
Reply 18

Does Avast still have the exclamation mark at the end (Avast!) ? It used to remind me of pirates :colondollar:
I don't use one.
I just make do with Defender.

Quick Reply

Latest